29er here I come..

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So after 5 years of being pestered by 29er riders I have finally given in and begun building a big wheeler.

Today I started with wheels.

I built an Eno Disk on a Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rim. DT 14/15 Spokes.

I spent the money and got the good White industries 20t Freewheel too.

I hope to get the New C-dale Frame in a week or so.

I got the new Lefty spped carbon this week so it should build up pretty light.

Anyone else making the jump to the big wheels?

j
 

ArmyOfNone

Well-Known Member
jdog said:
I built an Eno Disk on a Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rim. DT 14/15 Spokes.

j
Did you have to get the special disc adapter for the eno hub? Im curious to see that set up.
 

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Kinda...

jdog said:
Anyone else making the jump to the big wheels?
Yeah, but the tires are skinnier, and it has drop bars. And it's currently in your shop.:D
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
ArmyOfNone said:
Did you have to get the special disc adapter for the eno hub? Im curious to see that set up.
If you pedal fast enough you will see a lot of it close up..
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
ChrisG said:
Yeah, but the tires are skinnier, and it has drop bars. And it's currently in your shop.:D
I would call those Small,Big wheels..

Curious how big a tire that frame can handle. 700 x 42??

j
 

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Not sure...

jdog said:
I would call those Small,Big wheels..

Curious how big a tire that frame can handle. 700 x 42??

j
Those are 38's on there now. Looks like the rear could take a bigger tire, but the fork is pretty tight. Most guys on the Vintage board at mtbr say they can't run bigger than a 32, so I guess my frame is unusual?

Should be fun riding that bike at Allaire, huh?
 

Frank

Sasquatch
luv it

ChrisG said:
Those are 38's on there now. Looks like the rear could take a bigger tire, but the fork is pretty tight. Most guys on the Vintage board at mtbr say they can't run bigger than a 32, so I guess my frame is unusual?

Should be fun riding that bike at Allaire, huh?
Allaire is 29er heaven:D I've pretty much packed away the squishyheavygearbike.;)
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
ArmyOfNone said:
hooray for singlespeeds!
Nice.. Fred has been riding for less than a year and he has already figured out what took me 15 years.

Singlespeeds have many advantages.

Less to break

Never a shifting issue

Lighter

Cheaper (maybe)
 

walter

Fourth Party
ArmyOfNone said:
hooray for singlespeeds!

I think I heard Fred say something along the lines of, "you and your stupid big wheels, I hate you!"

Get Fred on a 29er ss and there will be no stopping him.

walter
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i think i got something along those lines yesterday after a certain log crossing.... i think big wheels are definitely in order for the young man.
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
walter said:
I think I heard Fred say something along the lines of, "you and your stupid big wheels, I hate you!"

Get Fred on a 29er ss and there will be no stopping him.

walter

Fred actually borrowed my mary demo a few weeks back and loved it.

We built his SS bike on a budget.


j
 

ArmyOfNone

Well-Known Member
jdog said:
Nice.. Fred has been riding for less than a year and he has already figured out what took me 15 years.

Singlespeeds have many advantages.

Less to break

Never a shifting issue

Lighter

Cheaper (maybe)
Thank you for passing on some of your hard learned knowledge to me in my infant stages of cycling. To you i owe so much.

I feel bad for those w/ gears...especially at six mile. With the mud, all those with gears have had all types of shifting issues.
 

ArmyOfNone

Well-Known Member
jdog said:
Fred actually borrowed my mary demo a few weeks back and loved it.

We built his SS bike on a budget.


j
I loved Mary. It truely was amazing what you can do with 29" wheels. I was a limited in funds, so i did what i could buildin up my SS. I love it and will hold it and cherish it forever!

Although, I am up for a big promotion at work. So may be JUST may be i may get a 29er. If i can sneek it by my GF. Shes always thwarting my plans. :(
 

Shaggz

A strong 7
ArmyOfNone said:
So may be JUST may be i may get a 29er. If i can sneek it by my GF. Shes always thwarting my plans. :(
you think you are having problems now, wait until you get married.
 

ArmyOfNone

Well-Known Member
Shaggz said:
you think you are having problems now, wait until you get married.
Yea so im told. Great. Shes pushing it now. May b if i ask "are you sure im the one?" I can by some time. :p
 

Frank

Sasquatch
Yea so im told. Great. Shes pushing it now. May b if i ask "are you sure im the one?" I can by some time. :p
Sorry but I have to brag....with 5 bikes already my wife of 16 yrs. bought me my 29er for christmas. Just convince her that this is a healthy sport and that the variety in bikes will keep you interested in the sport. This in turn will increase your life expectancy by staying healthy.:hmmm: I know....BS......but it works for me and she's not blonde either.:D
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you would think wives would be all about anything that prolongs the innevitable swelling of their husbands mid-sections....
 
Top