29er fork questions

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've think i'm going to pull the trigger on a fork and based on a number of factors have eliminated the reba entirely. at my weight and with my style of riding it seems to be a poor choice...which leaves the fox and the manitou. i need to talk to brett a little more about this one but i'm prolly leaning towards the manitou.

anyway, the mary is currently set up rigid and suspension corrected for an 80mm fork. what are the negatives with running a 100mm fork? how badly does it throw off the geometry? does it even matter considering the type of riding i generally do, which is mostly xc? does a goon like me even notice? :D

thanks!

J-Dro

I know you are a Reba hater and I'm sure that hardtale70 will chime in any minute to confirm that belief, but you should consider the 09 version of the Reba with U-turn. 90-120mm of travel so you can use it on the Mary and move it to any new frame if you ever decide to upgrade. And the 20mm maxle option will definitely increase the stiffness; a huge plus for your weight & riding style .

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i've think i'm going to pull the trigger on a fork and based on a number of factors have eliminated the reba entirely. at my weight and with my style of riding it seems to be a poor choice...which leaves the fox and the manitou. i need to talk to brett a little more about this one but i'm prolly leaning towards the manitou.

Jake,

The rig has a reba sl on it...though I'm thinking it has been modified to reba race specs as it has an external floodgate adjust and pop lock on it.

Anyway, if you want to swap it onto the Mary for a weekend to try out, you're welcome to it...

I'm curious: what is it about the reba you don't like?

Tim

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I know you are a Reba hater and I'm sure that hardtale70 will chime in any minute to confirm that belief, but you should consider the 09 version of the Reba with U-turn. 90-120mm of travel so you can use it on the Mary and move it to any new frame if you ever decide to upgrade. And the 20mm maxle option will definitely increase the stiffness; a huge plus for your weight & riding style .

no, no, i'm not a reba hater at all. i LOVED the reba that was on my fuel. super plush and super easy to dial in. my concern is about the stiffness of fork. i weigh about 200 nekkid so dressed to kill i'm in the 210 range. based on lots of reveiws by heavier guys, it just seems like a crap shoot.

Jake,

The rig has a reba sl on it...though I'm thinking it has been modified to reba race specs as it has an external floodgate adjust and pop lock on it.

Anyway, if you want to swap it onto the Mary for a weekend to try out, you're welcome to it...

I'm curious: what is it about the reba you don't like?

Tim

tim, see above. i think for lighter dudes the reba is all that and a bag of chips.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
tim, see above. i think for lighter dudes the reba is all that and a bag of chips.

Hmm...okay. I weight the same as you. The Reba seems to work fine...though, given it is on my first SS, I may be a little distracted with other things while on it...

The thing that surprised me is that the recommended air settings on the fork actually seem right (not so with the Revelation on the Turner)...

Frank

Sasquatch
I love my Reba SL on my 29er. Feels waaaayyyy better than the POS Marzocchi I had on it. Don't have any stiffness issues (that I know of) and I am way heavier than you. When I was running the Zoke it was at 80mm, the Reba is at 100 and the bike has no ill handling effects, although I do like slack head angles better anyway.

J-Dro

my concern is about the stiffness of fork. i weigh about 200 nekkid so dressed to kill i'm in the 210 range. based on lots of reveiws by heavier guys, it just seems like a crap shoot.

Repeat after me. "20mm Maxle" It will be the best upgrade you could buy. I know you probably don't want the added complexity of getting a new hub, but look at something like the Hope pro 2 hub which is very affordable and bullet proof. The maxle is the greatest invention since sliced bread... way easier to use then a standard QR skewer and boatloads stiffer.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
which leaves the fox and the manitou.

Unless you are shopping for a new boat anchor, stay away from the Manitou. I have known 3 people with Manitous, and all 3 have crapped the bed. The forks lock up and the garbage can calls.

I hear your concern about the fork being too soft. When Gerilynn was shopping for her bike, the shop recommended a Reba. Since you can put air in both the positive and negative springs, it works out better for lighter riders. The Fox negative spring is not adjustable and is too strong when you get to lower air pressure in the fork.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
while I have not ridden any 29ers....I have had 2 different manitous, both minutes and the first one (2005) was excellent and the second one (2006) was crap and I hated the SPV, it was hard to find a balance between it clunking from too little air pressure to the valve being too stiff.

I have a rock shox duke that came stock on my trance that I liked and now I ride a Fox and am loving it.

bozizle

FOX 29er

Okay I have had the opportunity to ride a bunch on 29er forks over the past few years. I weigh 215 and run a SS 29er of which have tested all the forks on a Rig / Custom Ti / On One Inbred.

Reba positive aspects are Plush / Easy to set / handlebar lockout. On the negative it is heavy and a bit flexy for my taste. I only noticed real flex on very tough rocky fast accelerations where it could get a bit wobbly.

Fox 29er is a very close feel but a bit more smooth after time from my experience. The fox does not have a remote lockout on the bar so you have to reach down. Easy setup much like the Reba but noticably stiffer is all around performance and feels lighter on the front end.

No experience on the MAnitou but haven't heard anything special.

If the price is not too steep I would say go with the Fox and if you like white up front. I also have a 2006 Reba with remote lockout if you want it...seriously it would be $100 and is in very good condition if you want it. PM if interested.

Last edited:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep

Good call. I've been away for a bit and sans the dawgs advice you've been reading the rantings of delusional wackos.Just get something cheap til stuff w/ the suspension industry gets worked out........and offset smoffset you won't notice a thing.....

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
good stuff brett. i'm gonna need you to work your dunkin' donuts magic on it.. :D

and to bozizle....you totally freakin rock! thanks dude!

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Congrats Jake!! Bring that hunk of junk over to my laboratory and we'll gut that puppy and make it right.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Certain Pike and Revalation coils drop right in then you lighten the oil weight to taste. They seem to hold you up and respond to hits.Stock rebas will only do 1 or the other.It gettin popular though so springs are getting harder to aquire lately for me. Otherwise the minute 29 is gettin better every ride............

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
brett- pm me with the part numbers i need and i'll find them.

fyi, the fork is a reba race if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom