29er Conti Mtn Kings -> Tubeless

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Soup

Well, me thinks this will be the final installment of the Conti Mtn King tubeless experiment.

'Have more time on 'em and I can say the setup works.

They continue to loose a little bit of air...about 5-ish psi/week. Both front and rear are remarkably consistent in this regard, so no big deal.

I've found I like the way the SIR9 handles @ 33-35 psi and I don't care for the feel at lower pressures. Lateral grip and handling seems more predictible at around 35 psi. Then again, I didn't care for sub 30 psi pressures on my 5-spot w/real UST rims (Mavic 819) and real UST tires (XC Fire Pro UST), either...so I can't really say whether it is just my tastes or something with the Conti's.

I've hit the rock gardens @ Mahlon slow 'n easy and hard 'n fast. 'Banged off rocks to the left and to the right...even hit some rocks so "wrong" that I've pitched myself over the bars. Not a single burp from the Conti's.

And, as I said earlier, the lighter weight is noticible and the bike rides as well w/35 psi & tubeless as it did with 30 psi & tubes.

My only bitch about this setup is a general bitch I have about the Mtn Kings; the rear seems to wear pretty fast.

'Guess that's it. For those of you who've been wondering about running your 29er Mtn Kings tubeless on your C29SSMax wheels, I say go for it if you're itchin' to do it...I don't antcipate anything bad and probably only good from it. But, as always, YMMV so if the MK burps on a nasty down hill and you end up in traction, it's your fault...but I'll send you flowers :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
another tire..

I just got my first sample of the new TNT Geax Saguro 29er tires this week. TNT means tubes or no tubes. I am building some new wheels with Some Flow No tubes rims this week and I will try these tires.

They have a MUCH thinker sidewall than regular tubed tires and a tougher bead. Both of which seem OK by me. They are not super light but what can you expect with a sidewall that feels twice as thick.

more to follow..

here is some infro:

http://twentynineinches.com/2008/11/20/geax-saguaro-22-ust-and-tnt-tires-out-of-the-box/

&

http://www.geax.com/vedit/pagina.asp~pagina~1899

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Burped one flat today!

On the Hooligan ride today @ MD I burped my front tire flat on the top half of Cascade trail.

The good news is that all I had to do is pump the tire back up and I was back in business. No more issues for the rest of the ride.

The bad news is that it wasn't a particularly rough section; a fairly light "g-out" at the bottom of a small descent.

And of course, this could only happen when I was leading a group ride!

So, it was either a freak occurrence or something that will happen more and more as the bead wears/fatigues. My money is on the former at the moment...

Top Bottom