29" Is is for real??

What is your take on 29" wheeled bikes?

• Total voters

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So spring is near and 29ers are on my brain.

The last few rides I have been on have had at least 50% 29ers.

I was wondering if this phenomenon is just within my group of riding buddies or more widespread.

SO here is a silly poll that might answer some questions for me.

**NOTE** You can check off more than one box in this poll.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Well, I'm planning to replace my trusty '96 Bontrager with a 29er, so they damn well better be for real.:hmmm:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm loving my MCR - and i won't be riding a 26er for x/c ever again. but i wont deny a 26er is cool too if that's what you dig.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Man I haven't been on here in years, damn school.

26" all the way. Of course I could never say this on mtbr.com for the fear that I'd get banned ;)

29ers never clicked with me. I rode a Raleigh XXIX, Seven, Cannondale's 29er and a Specialized FSR 29er. To me, each of these bikes felt oversize and not as nimble as I'd hoped. The big wheels did make a different on the XXIX (full rigid single speed), but on ANY bike with any type of suspension... I feel that a 29 inch wheel is redundant.

Again, this is my personal opinion. Out of my main riding buds, 2/7 are on 29ers. Have they posted better race results because of the 29er? Yes and no; it's a new bike, but also we're each maturing and becoming stronger.

My next bike is going to be a Kona Hei Hei Supreme; it'll be nice to have some comfort this year ;)

Not So Fast

I stand 5'10 and feel the 29er is probably a tad big for me. Once the 27.5 gain a following the 26ers are gonna die. Thats what I'll wait for.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Did not see my exact answer in the poll, but time and place for both would be the closest. I am very close to being too short also. Yes, they make a mini one, but the geometry is screwed up. I rode a GF 29 the first year they were pushing them in the demo fleet and did not like it at all. 26 is for me.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The jury is out on wether 26 or the 650s will be on the smaller frames, but it's generally over for 26" mtbs.26 is for dirt and park and the mighty 20 inch will be the ultimate loser.................

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ride the bike, it goes beyond frame design. there's a logistical problem in someone with one's leg over a wheel that's taller than that person's inseam.

jdog

Shop Keep
The jury is out on wether 26 or the 650s will be on the smaller frames, but it's generally over for 26" mtbs.26 is for dirt and park and the mighty 20 inch will be the ultimate loser.................

In the UK mags a lot if the jumper types rock 24" wheels. I can't see why this hasn't caught on for jumping here.

The euro market thinks 29" is laughable.

When Mavic USA approached Mavic France to build the crossmax 29 they thought it was a joke.

Not so much now. I have sold more Crossmax 29's than 26er in the last few months.

jdog

Shop Keep
Did not see my exact answer in the poll, but time and place for both would be the closest. I am very close to being too short also. Yes, they make a mini one, but the geometry is screwed up. I rode a GF 29 the first year they were pushing them in the demo fleet and did not like it at all. 26 is for me.

What was your exact answer?

I have seen a woman who must be 5'-2" riding a Blacksheep 29er at Allaire. It can be done.

This is especially true on a ridgid where a non-suspension corrected fork allows for a much lower front end.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a great question. Like Pixy, my answer isn't on there. But I don't know what my answer is.

I need to ride more bikes, especially 29er. I was thinking that the 26" aluminum HT was going to be my race bike this year but I rode it at LM today and I felt like I was on a jackhammer after 2 hours. I'm just too used to the smoothness of the FS but at 31+ pounds that bike is too much. Bill's 29er felt good yesterday, but that's Allaire which doesn't have the root/rock chatter that LM does. So you tell me what my answer is, because I have no clue.

I'm thinking about selling everything and flying kites for a hobby.

D

DANSPANK

I love both my 26" and 29". My 26" has more aggressive tyres so I took that out yesterday and it was perfect in the looser stuff at KVSP. It also has an inch more suspension so felt buttery when jumping off the 2-3ft concrete thing there.

But if the trails are more firm or tacky then I'd take my 29" out. I love the momentum of that bike.

Both are FS and I find them both very flickable and huckable. It's just a case of the type and firmness of terrain that makes the decision for me.

If I had more agressive tyres on the 29" then I'd likely take that one out on the more roller coaster trails and the 26" on the more technical and rocky places.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any one who buys a 29er already has at least one 26 bike. If you already own a full suspension and a hardtail in 26 than your next bike will probably be a 29er. Hey why not :D

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
It's a great question. Like Pixy, my answer isn't on there. But I don't know what my answer is.

I need to ride more bikes, especially 29er. I was thinking that the 26" aluminum HT was going to be my race bike this year but I rode it at LM today and I felt like I was on a jackhammer after 2 hours. I'm just too used to the smoothness of the FS but at 31+ pounds that bike is too much. Bill's 29er felt good yesterday, but that's Allaire which doesn't have the root/rock chatter that LM does. So you tell me what my answer is, because I have no clue.

I'm thinking about selling everything and flying kites for a hobby.

My only solace as u ran me down on my old steed was that come spring the "harshness" would kill you no matter the fitness.There is no chatter w/ 29,unless you have a REBA of course.Also you have to be tough up top to rip a HT, so do some pushups on the train.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My only solace as u ran me down on my old steed was that come spring the "harshness" would kill you no matter the fitness.There is no chatter w/ 29,unless you have a REBA of course.Also you have to be tough up top to rip a HT, so do some pushups on the train.

I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but it's not up top that's the problem. It hurts to friggin sit down right now. That and my lower back just got pulverized today.

Top Bottom