29" Is is for real??

What is your take on 29" wheeled bikes?

• Total voters
Picked up a Stumpjumper FSR 29er Friday night. Rode it on Saturday after TM at Batsto with JAR.
Lots of fun, the Orange Trail is developing and the bike is great.

I gotta get down there for a ride.

Welcome to the big (wheel) leagues.

Now sell all your 26" wheel stuff to you friends before they catch on.

Jay, have you sold any air 9s?

Nope.

Every Niner has been a SS so far.

I am pretty convinced that this trend will continue.

For the local riding a SS is hard to beat. It is also cheaper (not by much) to build up.

The air 9 is $50 bucks less since it has no Eccentric BB.

I have a One 9 and a Sir nine hanging in the shop today.

I just doubled my pre-order for Jet nines too.

j

29ers are here to stay

I made a major life decision yesterday, I canceled my 08 Scalpel order in favor of a custom Cannondale F29er. I currently ride a F29 single speed and love the way the bike handles. I just couldn't see myself getting back on a 26 inch bike after riding my SS 29er.

Don't get me wrong the 08 Scalpel is a sick bike but once you go 29er I gues you can't go back.

Below is our current build:

Frame: Caffeine 29

Fork: Lefty Speed Carbon SL, 80 mm

Rear Shock N/A

Rims: Not sure yet

Tires: Maxxis Ignitor or Hutchinson Pythons

Pedals: XTR

Crank: XTR, 22/32/44

Chain: Whippermans

Rear Cogs: XTR 11-34

Front Derailleur: Sram XO

Rear Derailleur SRAM XO

Shifters SRAM XO Twist

Handlebars: ???

Stem: Cannondale XC3 Si, 31.8 mm

Headset: Cannondale HeadShok Si

Brakeset: Magura Marta SL Disc Brake

Saddle: Fi'zi:k Allainte

Seat Post: Easton EC90

Hey scalpel, I'd definitely recommend getting some handlebars. They come in real handy sometimes.

Hey scalpel, I'd definitely recommend getting some handlebars. They come in real handy sometimes.

We are using the Salsa 31.8 Flat bar with the 11 degree bend and Salsa Delado 29er rims

Salsaflatsweeper.jpg

j-

Last edited:
I rode with a guy who had these exact bars and he likes em better than Eastons....Apparently they are a more supple bar

I rode the Easton Bars for years but I really like the additional sweep of the salsa. I have a seven ti on my ss and the salsa on the geared. I am sure that the Salsa offers a smoother ride.

They make a 17 degree version too which I should have next week.

17 sounds like a lot though.

I rode the Easton Bars for years but I really like the additional sweep of the salsa. I have a seven ti on my ss and the salsa on the geared. I am sure that the Salsa offers a smoother ride.

They make a 17 degree version too which I should have next week.

17 sounds like a lot though.
Is anyone making a carbon flat bar with SS-appropriate width and something more in the area of 8 degrees of sweep?

29ers on the rise

This seemed pretty obvious to me but I heard yesterday that Mavic's 2nd best selling mt wheel is the Crossmax 29.

The first is still the SLR disc but not by much.

This is particularly interesting considering Mavic France didn't even want to build this wheel.

Now if they would just build a lefty front version..

Big dumb wheels

This is for the 3 people who said that they would never ride the big dumb wheels:

http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/

Only slightly bigger and maybe less dumb?

I wish I had not sold my Prophet since I hear you can run 650b on one.

This seemed pretty obvious to me but I heard yesterday that Mavic's 2nd best selling mt wheel is the Crossmax 29.

The first is still the SLR disc but not by much.

This is particularly interesting considering Mavic France didn't even want to build this wheel.

Now if they would just build a lefty front version..

Does that mean there are a lot of 29ers being sold or there is not a good set of factory made 29er wheels? I have only ridden on my 26 SLRs a few times and they are freaking sweet.

Does that mean there are a lot of 29ers being sold or there is not a good set of factory made 29er wheels? I have only ridden on my 26 SLRs a few times and they are freaking sweet.

There are not that many 29er pre-built wheelsets to choose from.

Shimano will have an XT level UST29 Wheelst this summer.

American Classic has some light stuff that I have shyed away from.

Sun/Ringle has some pre-builts too.

I am pretty sure that Bontrager has 6 29er wheelsets listed on their website but I have never even seen them in the woods..

Otherwise the rest are hand built just like the old days in 26".

I just heard that C-dale WILL have a 29er for 09 w/Crossmax 29ers stock.

Back
Top Bottom