29" Is is for real??

What is your take on 29" wheeled bikes?

• Total voters

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
My Answer would be: "I don't know because I've never riden one". I'd love to though. Jdog how do I get in line for one of the demos?:D I do know that the pictures of seen of the Niner are sweet.

Tim

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My Answer would be: "I don't know because I've never riden one". I'd love to though. Jdog how do I get in line for one of the demos?:D I do know that the pictures of seen of the Niner are sweet.

Tim

You can come get a Mary today.

Don't ride it if you don't want a bike. It will suck you in.

Glancing Aft

My next bike will be a HT race bike, most likely a 29er, but I'll cross that bridge when I actually have some money to pay the toll.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I was on the fence all last season...A Trek/Fisher demo at Lewis Morris made up my mind though...I rode every bike they made, 26inch hardtail and suspension, 29inch hardtail and suspension, 69 hardtail and suspension, and then geared and singlespeed versions...After a few hours, I decided the fastest bike there was the Fisher Paragon, which surprised me considering it's only an $1800 bike...I even preferred it to the Trek OCLV hardtail that was nearly 7 pounds lighter!! I didn't think 29'ers would be faster, I went initially to prove to myself that 29'ers are stupid and slow and heavy and ride like monster trucks...I was VERY VERY wrong!! That Monday I ordered a Fisher Superfly, which takes 29'er weight very close to the Trek Elite 9.9 and is one of the first legit 29'er race machine out there...It will be in tomorrow and the final verdict will be in this weekend when I take it for it's maiden voyage...

-Jim.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
On second thought

Jdog,

You're right, maybe I don't really want to know. :) I'll struggle along in my delusion that 26's are the only option (at least till my bank statement shows double digits!).

I'll now change my answer to: "I will never ride those big dumb wheels":D

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
A Trek/Fisher demo at Lewis Morris made up my mind though.

Funny- same here, but it was a Fisher demo in Ringwood in 2004. I too wanted to prove that they didn't live up to the hype... so much for that plan.

The Superfly is the best bargain in high-end bling bikes right now. Nice!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'll be honest (yes, shocking, i know) but i was really impressed with the Fishers as well. i didn't want to be but i was. i think i rode a ferrous? i was really shocked...although i'm not sold on an aluminum hardtail but that's a WHOLE differerent thread.

walter

Fourth Party
although i'm not sold on an aluminum hardtail but that's a WHOLE differerent thread.

I think thats why I love to ride my Mary over the Cannondale, its just that much more comfortable to ride. I believe you said the same that day at Mahlon

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh yeah, you're right.

i wont buy an outta the box bike again anyway. wheelsets are too important too me.

BadLine

Lots of different opinions here, so here's another. It could be compared best to Plato's Allagory of the Cave and 26" wheeled bikes are like the shadows on the cave walls. However, 29" wheels represent life outside the cave. However, trying to convince someone to hang up there 26's for 29's is futile at best. I have been riding rigid 29er ss for a while now and ss for even longer. In the early days, before the "revolution", I can remember people pointing in awe at the guys with one speed and big wheels. Now I don't here a peep. But I am not bitter. It's just evolution. I wasn't the first to ride these amazing feats of engineering and I won't be the last. This big wheel revolution isn't confined to NJ, rather it is a nation epidemic. So if your are on 26's be afraid be very afraid, because you, like myself and many others, will wake up one morning and find your kids bikes have grown up.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
What was your exact answer?

I have seen a woman who must be 5'-2" riding a Blacksheep 29er at Allaire. It can be done.

This is especially true on a ridgid where a non-suspension corrected fork allows for a much lower front end.

My first impression of the 29" wheel may not still be accurate as of todays standards, but on rolling smooth terrain, and snow the 29 was sweet. I thought it would make a good short track bike. In the technical stuff and climbing, it felt cumbersome for someone my size ... 5'3" w/28" inseam. I look at the pro field today at nationals, and see a small percentage of racers on them. Zero percent of short pro women.

As for fit and if it is for me: I don't ride Allaire on a regular basis, or any place I may want to ride rigid. Most 5'2" women have 29" inseam. I have 28"and need a 22" - 23" top tube. I have problems finding any bike to fit with out screwing the geometry too much. Even on any road bike I ride , My toe hits the wheel when turning. I do not see any advantage for me to even consider 29.

My exact answer might be: I have tried it, and I am sick of people in the bike industry telling me what I want, and then having to make due with something that is built for someone else. The polite answer might be: there is a place for both wheel sizes.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of different opinions here, so here's another. It could be compared best to Plato's Allagory of the Cave and 26" wheeled bikes are like the shadows on the cave walls. However, 29" wheels represent life outside the cave. However, trying to convince someone to hang up there 26's for 29's is futile at best. I have been riding rigid 29er ss for a while now and ss for even longer. In the early days, before the "revolution", I can remember people pointing in awe at the guys with one speed and big wheels. Now I don't here a peep. But I am not bitter. It's just evolution. I wasn't the first to ride these amazing feats of engineering and I won't be the last. This big wheel revolution isn't confined to NJ, rather it is a nation epidemic. So if your are on 26's be afraid be very afraid, because you, like myself and many others, will wake up one morning and find your kids bikes have grown up.

holy poo, someone else on the board that references plato? i'm not alone anymore? uh-oh, i better brush up.

like i said, i'll never ride a non-29er bike on an XC/AM ride again. for me, there is just no point. i'm a tick under 5'10" and i have no issues on the 16" mary.

doing jumps and goofing around...that's where my 26" SS dirt jumper will have it's place.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, I changed my vote to line A. Hypothetically of course...

sj_john

Picked up 29er

Picked up a Stumpjumper FSR 29er Friday night. Rode it on Saturday after TM at Batsto with JAR.
Lots of fun, the Orange Trail is developing and the bike is great.

Top Bottom