28h vs 32h???

Ron

28h vs 32h???

So I have a Pivot Trail 429. Trying to decide what to do about a wheelset. I have a set of Enve 630 in 28h that came off another bike. Plan was to possible have these built up on a 157 hub to fit the Pivot. But now I am contemplating the 28h. I use the bike mainly as a cross country machine. But would someday like to try some enduro runs. This is where I am concerned about the 28h.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you

JDurk

This seems like a time to say: light, strong, cheap, pick 2. 32>28. I'm a solid Clyde, so all my wheels are 32.

w_b

I used to always get the 36s when available. There are some things where it makes no sense to try to shave grams. Seatposts and wheels come to mind.

As you might expect, my 429Tr spare wheelset is NOT 28.

536DB1CB-76AF-4524-AB3A-10B266E6616B.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Since you have the rims, but a cheaper hub and build them up. If you trash them, go for 32 with a nice hub.

Ron

I should add. If I do not ride a bike or work out I am 200 lbs. when I ride a lot and work out I am 197 lbs.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Being a smoother rider and tipping the scales around 160 lbs I've never had a problem racing enduro or park laps on 28 spoke wheels . Also my current 29er wheelsets are all 28 spoke and I never felt I needed stiffer wheels

serviceguy

Full disclosure, I am floating between 210 and 220 (and bracing for the Holidays) and since my riding sucks I tend to be conservative in my style (or lack of thereof). I also ride almost exclusively Ringwood. On my full suspension (Knolly Fugitive LT) I ride 29" DT Swiss 350 Straight Pull 28H hubs, spokes/nipples and rims and so far no issues. Also, the rear is a 12x157 setup.

Karate Monkey

Depends more on the rim. Heavier it is, the less you need to worry about spoke count (see: aero rims on road bikes). If you're rolling XC weight rims, 32 would be a good idea for stretching past the intended use.

Top Bottom