27.5?

vanseggern1

Forgive me if this topic has already been raised, but has anyone ridden a 27.5er yet? I know the concept has been around for at least a little while (or longer), but I've noticed that Haro has started advertising the Beasley SS and 1x9 in MTB magazines. I am a 29er guy myself, but just wondering if anyone's had any experiences (good, bad, or indifferent) with the "mid" size wheel.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I don't see the point. If we start to fine tune our wheel sizes to perfectly suit our riding style and environment then we'll be swimming in a sea of different obscure sized wheels, tires, tubes, forks, etc. that economy of scale will be lost and we'll just end up paying more for all of those things.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I don't see the point. If we start to fine tune our wheel sizes to perfectly suit our riding style and environment then we'll be swimming in a sea of different obscure sized wheels, tires, tubes, forks, etc. that economy of scale will be lost and we'll just end up paying more for all of those things.

I agree with the economy of scale thinking (see QR15) but this is an exception to that rule -- wheel sizes should be available in as many variations as frame sizes in my mind. 650b (27.5) wheels can fit in many 26er forks -- and many rear wheel slots -- giving an added advantage without any mods or heavy purchases, and 29ers get too compromised for smaller riders. I'll be strongly considering a 650b bike when I buy a new bike next year.

don

I agree a lot with what Justin has said. I'm usually not one for new standards (can't agree with the QR15 at all) but think the 650b size does have merit. For different rider sizes and applications there already are: 12", 16", 18", 20", 22" (yup starting to see it in bmx), 24", 26", and 29". What is one more?

While I'm not ready to build up a 650b rig yet, it is something I'm keeping my eye on or at least reading the 650b forum on mtbr semi-regularly (http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135) Right now I'm thinking of throwing a 650b on the front of my rigid Rhyin SS and go from there but that could change.

One thing off the top of my head (and goes along with Justin's post) is that the 650b might be a nice compromise for running a larger diamter tire but builders won't have to deal with some of the issues of fitting a 29'er tire on the rear.

I've built up two 650B bikes in the past year; one Kogswell touring road bike designed for 650B, and a Salsa Ala Carte XL size (normally a 26er), running 650B wheels. My verdict: I like 29ers (probably due to my large size and weight)... and I've come to appreciate their ability to roll so well in technical situations. But I also like 26ers, so I believe the 650B may feel like a 29er to smaller riders, and bring some additional rollability to the 26er, without the big leap to a 29er.

That said, my 650B Salsa is one of the nicest rides I've ever had, partially due to the 650B wheels that make it so nice (among other things).

What I DON'T like about 650B is the lack of rim and tire choices... the US market seems understandably hesitant and slow to accept this.

So I've now got bikes that are 26, 27.5 and 29... love em all for one reason or another.

That may not help you decide which is better for you, but hopefully describes 650B as a bonafide option.

Peace,
BB

Top Bottom