26x4.8 vs 27.5x3.8

oobaa47

In my limited research for a B-Fat wheelset, this is what I've come up with so far:

Dt swiss big ride hubs on sun ringle mulefut 50mm rims with dt swiss spokes

fyxation black hawk hubs on sun ringle duroc 50mm rims with wheelsmith spokes, 2202 grams

fyxation black hawk hubs on stans hugo 52mm rims with wheelsmith spokes, 2405 grams

powerway hubs on ican carbon 50mm rims with cn spokes, 2059 grams

Anyone have any experiences with the above wheelsets? I plan on putting 3.8 hodags on them as they seem to get pretty decent reviews. Thanks......

Hamish

In my limited research for a B-Fat wheelset, this is what I've come up with so far:

Dt swiss big ride hubs on sun ringle mulefut 50mm rims with dt swiss spokes

fyxation black hawk hubs on sun ringle duroc 50mm rims with wheelsmith spokes, 2202 grams

fyxation black hawk hubs on stans hugo 52mm rims with wheelsmith spokes, 2405 grams

powerway hubs on ican carbon 50mm rims with cn spokes, 2059 grams

Anyone have any experiences with the above wheelsets? I plan on putting 3.8 hodags on them as they seem to get pretty decent reviews. Thanks......

I have 4000+ miles on 27.5 x 3.8 and have run both Hodags and Minions on my full suspension fattie. I run an 80mm Mulefut rim and keep my tires hard at 12psi year around. I find the 80mm rim keeps the sidewall really stiff which is what I personally like. I think a narrower rim on these tires would give you a lot of side to side roll.

Sunringle has a Mulefut 80mm with their SRC hubs (which are pretty good) already laced for around $340 for a rear

On the tires:
IMO the Hodags are far grippier and more confidence inspiring. However the sidewalls just get trashed way too quickly. I was constantly puncturing the sidewalls.

The Minion at 120tpi have way better sidewall durability but the tread kinda sucks on the FBR and they are marginally heavier. That said, this is what I run due to the fact I trash my wheels through rocks all day long

I love 27.5 x 3.8. For me at 210lbs, I think of it as the perfect heavy guy XC wheel

Mr.Moto

I have had similar results as @Hamish as far as tires. Hodags are okay, but Minions have beefier sidewalls which tend to be better for the Northern NJ riding. They are heavier but more durable.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i purchased the RSD Mayor V4 with 26 x 4.8 minions. So lets see what the fat life is all about.

1574867863388.png

Top Bottom