26x4.8 vs 27.5x3.8

oobaa47

I have a fully rigid 26 x 4.8 fatty and was thinking about getting an extra wheel set. 27.5 x 3.8 appears to be of similar diameter. Has anyone purchased an extra set of wheels for their fat bike? How have the handling characteristics changed? What rim width do you prefer with 3.8's? I'm looking to get a little more agile and a little more nimble, while retaining the monster truck feel, but also want to remove the sluggishness of the 4.8's. This will primarily be my winter bike. Thanks....

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’m
I have a fully rigid 26 x 4.8 fatty and was thinking about getting an extra wheel set. 27.5 x 3.8 appears to be of similar diameter. Has anyone purchased an extra set of wheels for their fat bike? How have the handling characteristics changed? What rim width do you prefer with 3.8's? I'm looking to get a little more agile and a little more nimble, while retaining the monster truck feel, but also want to remove the sluggishness of the 4.8's. This will primarily be my winter bike. Thanks....
I’m in the same boat...

FitmanNJ

It seems like I've seen guys post up elsewhere that they ride 27x3.8 tires on 45-52mm rims to maximize nimbleness and rollover, but they're usually riding them during everything but winter. Floatation (for snow/sand) goes down versus the wider setups. I don't have any experience, though, with 27" tires (tight fit, at best, in my Fatback Skookum frame).

Leftymuk

It seems like I've seen guys post up elsewhere that they ride 27x3.8 tires on 45-52mm rims to maximize nimbleness and rollover, but they're usually riding them during everything but winter. Floatation (for snow/sand) goes down versus the wider setups. I don't have any experience, though, with 27" tires (tight fit, at best, in my Fatback Skookum frame).
Should have kept the Mayor....it will swallow any tire made

pkovo

I run 27.5 wheels with 3.8” Hodags on my Ice Cream truck for everything but winter. I think the rims are 45mm internal. I love this setup. Still has great traction and rollover, decent cushion and really good trail feel, but to me it makes the bike feel a bit more like a trailbike. Its more lively. I’m running a suspension fork though, so Maybe I wouldn’t like it as much rigid.

I still swap this set off and run a traditional set of 26” fat wheels for winter though. But even my winter tires are only 4” at this point. I dont really miss running big 4.8” tires. I like the handling of the smaller fat tires a bit more.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm currently by choice 29+ 3" and miss my 26x4.8 because I destroyed my carbon front rim :(

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've also run @mattybfat's 29+ tires while my 26x4.8 wheel was being repaired. bike was significantly higher off the ground,
which was expected? the 4.8s really "sit down" - would be interesting to get a loaner pair and see if you like 27.5.
I wonder if my hubs have changeable end caps on my TB?

oobaa47

So it's safe to say that 26x4.8, 27.5x3.8, and 29x3 all have relatively the same diameter? But since the 4.8's sit lower, due to lower PSI, if I switch to a 27.5 x 3.8, that would raise the bottom bracket a little compared to the 26x4.8's?

Mr.Moto

I can compare going from 26 x 4.0 (70mm rim) to 27.5 x 3.8 (45mm rim) on a Salsa Bucksaw. In general, I felt that the handling definitely improved. More agile handling and felt lighter too. I've pretty much stayed with the set up and even have gone to a 27.5 x 3.0 tire now. Never tried a 4.8 to 3.8 swap on my fat bike but would think you would certainly have similar results.

The picture is a little deceiving, but the set up on the bike is the 3.8 vs the 4.0 next to it. Definitely narrower and taller than the 4.0.

IMG_2007.JPG

bergsnj

I'm going to buy my first fat bike this winter and i'm stuck between 27.5 (B-Fat 3.8" wide) or 26 (full fat 4.8" wide). I want the bike to be an all season back up bike but will primarily be used in bad weather, snow, muddy conditions. I'm looking at the RSD Mayor V4, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, and Wyat Bicycles Maverick. All are budget aluminum frame bikes with basically the same modern-ish geometry and can take both wheel sizes. So I guess if i dont like one size i could get a second wheelset. What are your opinions? I'm tagging @jimvreeland who seems to be the resident fat bike guru. Thanks alot, I'm about to pull the trigger soon

Top Bottom