24hr of Killington

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man one 24 hour event a year is plenty, too much even. Next year I may expand to a 100 miler like W101 or SM100.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
C'mon you can do 2 :p

Yeah the 100 miler would be nice. My buddy keeps talking about it so perhaps next year I'll take the plunge too.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like to come reasonably close to 100 miles in a 24 hour period before I try to do it in 12 hours. Seems to make some sense.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i think you are going to have to log at least 200 miles per week to get ready for one of those big boys.

xc62701

I was thinking about doing it solo until I realized you'd need to get a mortgage to afford the race. Any of those Granny Gear races are EXPENSIVE!

ArmyOfNone

Why so much??? Even the Allamuchy race is a bit pricey. Just to go and ride a place you can ride any day for free.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did I read that right? $340 dollars for solo, are you fucking kidding me? Does it at least come with a happy end? What do you get for all that money?Allamuchy is a bargin compared to that. Crazy.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Why so much??? Even the Allamuchy race is a bit pricey. Just to go and ride a place you can ride any day for free.

allamuchy is standard pricing for a 24 hr event. for all the work that goes into managing a race site for 24 hrs non-stop, not to mention set up and after race work, like results and cleanup, it's definitely worth it. as someone said once before, noone is getting rich off promoting bike races.

J-Dro

Well you can make this argument about any race. From Lewis Morris to Ringwood etc.. Allamuchy includes 2 days of camping and the ability to access the scout camp which is normally out of access to MTBs. No race stands up to logical analysis of cost. Does the fun and camaraderie justify the admission? For Killington I would have to vote NO. But Allamuchy.... hmmm maybe. Depends on your perspective.

xc62701

Yes allamuchy is definitely priced about right. I know it takes a lot of work and support and supplies to put one of these things on. But what the granny gear series charges is just lunacy. I almost did the 24 of moab last year but work wouldn't allow it. I'm kinda glad since it was horrible and now I can use that money to race the next 3 allamuchy's :D

ArmyOfNone

I understand that there is some cost that is to be taken on to run a race. I have really enjoyed all the races i have attended...well except stewart but that wasnt darkhorse's fault. I dont mind paying.

Im sure that the race is a great event but on face value it seems like a big chunk of change for 24 hours of self inflicted pain.

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Last September I raced the 24 hrs of Landhal in Blue Springs, MO put on by granny gear. I have done 25+ races and this was by far the most organized and friendly race I have done hands down. 24 hour racing is expensive as the fees to rent the land are huge as well as the insurance these guys must carry. Someone gets hurt while riding on their own free will may try and sue the city, probably won't win but might shut the trails down. Someone gets hurt at one of these events the promoters will like take the burden to save the trails.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Someone gets hurt at one of these events the promoters will like take the burden to save the trails.

That makes it sound so noble, but in reality Granny Gear is a business, pure & simple. They just charge what the market will bear and they have to make a profit or else they wouldn't do it.

As a customer, the only thing you has to decide -- is it worth $300+ to me? To me it isn't, but then again who in their right mind would buy $900 wheelsets or a $5000 bike? :D Let's face it -- to outsiders, we are all a little nuts because of how much we spend on this sport.

Judge Smails

I was actually up at Killington this weekend while the race was going on (I was not racing). They must have been channeling the Allamuchy event because there was some rain (mostly the night before, but some on race day as well). From the looks of the parking lot (and the view from the gondola) it didn't look like there were that many participants. Don't know if the weather or price had anything to do with this.

The trails at Killington are pretty cool - there are a lot of technical rocky/rooty type trails with some "north shore" style bridges thrown in. It was a little wet and slippery for us cross country/all mountain types, but the guys on the 8" travel bikes were eating it up. The only thing that I thought sucked was that it was wet and the trails were getting ripped apart. I know that these trails were primarily built for downhill bikes, but they really needed to be designed a little better to avoid all of the damage they were getting. In dry conditions it would have been 100% better.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the killington race get's the lowest turnout of any of the granny gear events. lack of advertising for it was the blame last year.

Top Bottom