24 Hours Of Allamuchy: Hydration Poll

doofus

I'm sure a lot of you who raced this year had heat problems like I did.
So, I'd like to do an informal poll to try to find some correlation between hydration methods and performance/how you felt.
I'd like to keep the questions only about the Saturday laps in the heat.
Please answer the following up front in your post, and then any discussion you have about how you felt or hydrated yourself can follow after.

1. Approx how much did you drink before your laps?
a. water?
b. performance drink (and brand)?

2. During your laps, what (water/performance drink) and how much did you
carry?
a. in your Camelback?
b. in additional bottles?

3. How did you feel during your laps? Good, or describe symptoms (cramps,
chills, nausea, headache, other)

4. How many laps did you do in the heat?

5. How many laps total did you do in the race?

Thanks,
Lenny

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lenny,

1. 32 ounces between each lap, all water.

2. 80 ounces of water in the camelbak, but after 2 laps I had only taken in 40. I had 1 bottle for each lap, some carb blend from Infinit Nutrition. Nothing special but it was 300 calories a bottle.

3. Lap 1 felt great. Lap 2 started to fade in the last 4 miles and got slight chills towards the end of it. Lap 3 just didn't have much juice left. Got 2 slight cramps but nothing that kept me from pedaling. Cramped astoundingly in camp after lap 3.

4. 3 laps

5. 3 laps

I just think some heat is too much for some guys to deal with. You're probably one of them. It used to really destroy me but now it only slightly destroys me. After that 3rd lap I really didn't feel right until maybe 4:00 pm yesterday.

RyGanley

200 ml, 2 camble packs worth

a. water?
Mostly water, and a cup of coffee
None in the first lap, thought I try to stay away from the Gader, and just stick with gu, clif blocks, and water..but I had to Hydrate

carry?
Lap one 2 pints, lap two 2 pints and I stopped at 1st aid at mile 6 to refill, lap 3 I turned to Camelback, and lap 4 I was at camble pack and water bottle of hammer heed.
a. in your Camelback?
50 ML

1st lap I was smooth enought, felt fine. Lap 2; got a chill. Lap 3; all of the above. Lap 4, I barely remember.

Like you said, some people are not good in the heat, I am one of them. I just sweat my ass off, and eventfully drinking feels like drowning. The rain was nice to cool things off, but then you were compeating with the slickest trail on earth... so Loose loose situation.. I will admit, right before the rain was sweet on some of the fast downhills, I passed at least 20 people bombing mile 4 and mile 8. I like to go down.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
based on performance, my answers are no indication of the proper way to do it.

b. performance drink (and brand)? cytomax or those camelback dissolving tablets

carry?

b. in additional bottles? bottles only. 1 large bottle per lap. refilled at aid station on each of them.

felt fine on my first lap, weak on my second with some slight cramping toward the end. most likely due more to what happened on the first lap.

Last edited:

Eileen

20 oz of half Gatorade and water

carry?
I had two bottles of watered down Accelerade on each lap

3. How did you feel during your laps?
Felt good at first but then my stomach felt a little funky after my second lap, nothing I couldn't deal with.

2 laps

3 total

I was uncomfortably hot, sweaty, sticky but in general the heat does not really bother me too much. It slowed me down, but I didn't have any major problems like chills or nausea.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
shoot I dunno, I don't keep track to well.

don't know. I drank some gatorade, some red bull, some starbucks double shots (in the AM Sunday) and a few sips of some protein or amino something drink that my buddy had, it tastes like chocolate. after every lap my routine varied, I just reached into my cooler and drank what I grabbed first.

carry?
100oz camelback that had a mix of gatorade & water. Kept refilling after every lap. But I don't know exactly how much of each.

Chills on 1st 2 laps. after that ok, normal exhaustion

bozizle

24hrs of HEAT

1. 6 large solo cups of water early that morning and a gatorade

1 bottle of water
1 bottle of Perpetuem

1st lap - good legs but no boost of energy or extra power
2nd lap - Sever dehydration and exhaustion.
1- Pounding head
2- NO ENERGY and could barely ride flat sections
3- heavy breathing and shortness of breath
4- Chills when I stopped even goose bumps
5- Dry swollen tongue

3rd lap - (Early morning) Felt great fully energized and flew through the mud

4. How many laps did you do in the heat? 2

5. How many laps total did you do in the race? 3

I have never been so out of it that my wife waited for me the whole lap and walked me and pushed me through...the bike patrol kept looking at me like I was in serious trouble so I did not push it too hard and just managed to get back so I could re-fuel. I also did not pee for almost 6 hrs...I was a mess

Last edited:

cem

1. Approx how much did you drink before your laps? Heed in about 16-20 oz water, then probably another 16-20 of plain water

carry?
a. in your Camelback? Lap 1 / two scoops of heed in 40oz of water. Laps 2 to 7 / Two scoops Heed in 48oz of water
b. in additional bottles? Two scoops of Sustained energy/ One scoop of Perpetuem in 20oz of water

chills, nausea, headache, other) Lap 1 Pretty Good, Lap 2 Good/Headache, Lap 3 OK/Headache and pale. Lap 4 Good/headache

4. How many laps did you do in the heat? 3 day / 1 night

5. How many laps total did you do in the race? 7

This was also the first time I used Endurolytes, which i think is a huge reason i never really cramped (I'm almost guaranteed to cramp on any ride longer then 3 hours). I averaged about 2.5 caps per lap, including the one i choked on, it eventually went down.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
a. water?
-none-
-none-

carry?
a. in your Camelback?
-no camelback-
-1-20 0z. bottle of Powerbar Endurance per hour-
-Directly after each lap, 20 oz. Rapid Recharge by Dedicated athlete-

-same throughout, but I only had to do 4 laps, so I didn't really hurt at all-

-2-

-4-

ryderX

I think the question should also include the amount of fluids consumed during the week leading up to Saturday. The best piece of advice I ever received relative to hydration, was to weigh myself morning and night, before and after training. Hydration starts much earlier than race day.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the question should also include the amount of fluids consumed during the week leading up to Saturday. The best piece of advice I ever received relative to hydration, was to weigh myself morning and night, before and after training. Hydration starts much earlier than race day.

As with many things, I think that only works for some people. I started Saturday at a +3 over my normal weight and still had problems.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And what did you weigh at the end of the day ?

Fair enough. I don't know, didn't have a scale. So I can't really say that it was the same if I hadn't started like that. And in fairness, heat like this would have certainly caused me to cramp in the past. While I did cramp slightly, it was nothing I couldn't pedal through.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I concur with ryderx. Prerace Hydration begins a minimum of 24 hours prior to race, and should be incorporated into your lifestyle in general.

I would look at Friday. I know I was sweating and pounding water all day Friday. I try to avoid alcohol and cafeine, and take on plenty of salt.

Always good idea to weigh in the day after a hot race. Mondays after a Sunday race, at 120lbs, I have weighed as much as 5 lbs lighter. You can imagine how important propper hydration is in a multiple day event.

My stats are from a team and may not be what you are looking for, but here they are:

I did not ride til 4 ish on Saturday. I did 1 lap and 1 hr of warm up prior, laptime - 1:24. During the day I drank too much water. Probably pee'd 20 times. Ran out of gatorade and only had 2 portions of powerbar drink mix to save for the entire race, so I took a few shots of salt right out of the salt container. I use hydration pack with water and bottle of mix on bike. In the first mile I got stomach cramps from too much water, slowed down, and by mile 3, I was good to go. Finished a lap feeling great, barely touched anything to drink in the race. I only felt hot off the bike. Did 2 back to back laps in the morning. Felt great also.

Another thing that comes to my mind is that if this race is your once a year big deal, you may be so excited, riding over your limitations to start. It may take a few races to learn how to pace your self and avoid trouble down the trail. Just a thought.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Always good idea to weigh in the day after a hot race. Mondays after a Sunday race, at 120lbs, I have weighed as much as 5 lbs lighter. You can imagine how important propper hydration is in a multiple day event.

This is interesting. I have never weighed any less than 1-4 pounds more the day after a long ride or event. I suspect it has something to do with my body's learned ability to store water in my heavier days so I may be unique in that regard. To that end however, that may give me an advantage in pre-hydrating if I do it right. As of today, I'm still +4 from my Friday weight.

xc62701

a. water?
About 20 oz.
None

carry?
a. in your Camelback?
70 oz of water
12 oz of accelerade

Only cramping

I also was taking advil as well as endurolytes. I took probably 4 advil over the whole race and 2 endurolytes every lap for the most part.

PlayAllDay

I agree with drinking lots the week of race and salt as well.

a. water? couple bottles water, latte, gatorade, mt dew

carry?
a. in your Camelback? 1.5 liter; only drank about half
b. in additional bottles? accelerade; only drank after laps

chills, nausea, headache, other) hot, but great

4. How many laps did you do in the heat? 1

5. How many laps total did you do in the race? 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom