22-23 Ski and Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Brainstorm

Missed the storm but was able to drive up to Stowe on Thursday night. It sounded like they got about 30" of snow from the storm. Driving up the sides of 91 and 89 had snowfall but I could tell there was a lot of compaction and melt already.

Friday wasn't bad at all and a lot was filled in but I had to search around for some decent pockets of snow and the really good turns. The main runs were chunky and it was a little on the warmer side so there was plenty to turn on but it was work. Some rain came thru mid day but didn't last too long.

View attachment 209823

View attachment 209824

Saturday was a completely different story. The warmer temps and even more rain on Friday night firmed things up massively. Scratchy and blue ice in sections so I only did 13k vertical and that was probably pushing it with the flat light and weekend crowd added to the crappy conditions.

More snow came in last night and we should have gone to the mtn but we had to head home earlier than planned so we just did some snowshoeing from the house so the dogs could get exercise before the 7 hour car drive. My guess it was fun there today and with a sunny 40 deg forecast tomorrow will have some very nice spring conditions - oh well - next time :shrug:

View attachment 209822
Thursday was the day, Kitchen Sink and Waterfall were epic, by Saturday I was on my GS skis, what a turn of events. You missed nothing on Sunday, don't feel bad. Its setup nicely for spring conditions, just wish cheap-ass Vail would keep the Gondola open longer in April like the good old days, but they got their money up front so what do they care? Remember the days when they used to have a BBQ, beers, band, and jump contest at Mid-Way? I miss that.

View attachment 209424
View attachment 209425

Lots of snow at Hunter. Every run was choppy and lumpy. The whole mountain was covered in moguls. Fun but exhausting.
Hunter is amazing on a powder day, best kept secret. If I wasn't in VT I would have been there.

don

Thursday was the day, Kitchen Sink and Waterfall were epic, by Saturday I was on my GS skis, what a turn of events. You missed nothing on Sunday, don't feel bad. Its setup nicely for spring conditions, just wish cheap-ass Vail would keep the Gondola open longer in April like the good old days, but they got their money up front so what do they care? Remember the days when they used to have a BBQ, beers, band, and jump contest at Mid-Way? I miss that.

Hunter is amazing on a powder day, best kept secret. If I wasn't in VT I would have been there.

We had some things going on and couldn't get there any earlier. I knew Thursday was going to be one for the books with the upper lifts closed on Wednesday.

Good to hear that Sunday wasn't great. I was thinking there wasn't enough snow to make a difference besides more people showing up for "new snow"

You would think the money Vail is making on parking alone in one day they could throw a bash like the old days :smh: I do remember they would setup a nice sized jump and a jam/contest during the season right near the Midway lodge at night but that's going back to the mid 90's. Around the time they had the half pipe on lower Gondalier and night skiing. Does Stowe even do the Sugar Slalom anymore in April?

Agree on Hunter - I got there on a 24"+ storm a handful of years ago and had a blast. And that was with the lift on the backside closed.

Captain Brainstorm

We had some things going on and couldn't get there any earlier. I knew Thursday was going to be one for the books with the upper lifts closed on Wednesday.

Good to hear that Sunday wasn't great. I was thinking there wasn't enough snow to make a difference besides more people showing up for "new snow"

You would think the money Vail is making on parking alone in one day they could throw a bash like the old days :smh: I do remember they would setup a nice sized jump and a jam/contest during the season right near the Midway lodge at night but that's going back to the mid 90's. Around the time they had the half pipe on lower Gondalier and night skiing. Does Stowe even do the Sugar Slalom anymore in April?

Agree on Hunter - I got there on a 24"+ storm a handful of years ago and had a blast. And that was with the lift on the backside closed.
There was enough snow Sunday to create the false sense of security that you weren't skiing on exactly the same terrain as the day before. It was the equivalent of putting whipped cream on shit.

The Sugar Slalom is a thing of the past. Up until Vail took over, they had a giant air-bag to practice your jumps at Midway before the actual contest. Once Vail took over, that disappeared, they guy with the hot chocolate on his back at the lift lines on the cold days disappeared, the demo weekend disappeared, the kids Adventure Camps disappeared, and of the course the parking disappeared.

I was at Hunter for that storm a couple of years ago, I make it a point to play hooky and drive up when that happens.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
695....only 2 other times did they get over 700. I was recalling one of the years I lived there when it was just batshit crazy and the roads in the neighborhoods became 1 lane for a while.....I decided to look it up....I thought it was 93, but it was 94....Alta got 745 which is still the record. Maybe ill go ski snowbird in June this year :)

1679406929114.png

don

There was enough snow Sunday to create the false sense of security that you weren't skiing on exactly the same terrain as the day before. It was the equivalent of putting whipped cream on shit.

The Sugar Slalom is a thing of the past. Up until Vail took over, they had a giant air-bag to practice your jumps at Midway before the actual contest. Once Vail took over, that disappeared, they guy with the hot chocolate on his back at the lift lines on the cold days disappeared, the demo weekend disappeared, the kids Adventure Camps disappeared, and of the course the parking disappeared.

I was at Hunter for that storm a couple of years ago, I make it a point to play hooky and drive up when that happens.

ugh :( I still love Stowe but man Vail has done a number on it. The paid parking obviously is a big kick in the gut but those "small" things you just mentioned are defintely missed as well even though I didn't enjoy them each season.

Another small thing I noticed on Friday after skiing - hardly any hooks on the poles in the Mansfield base lodge. Guess they want the to keep the bar and eating area clear of clutter :shrug:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
ugh :( I still love Stowe but man Vail has done a number on it. The paid parking obviously is a big kick in the gut but those "small" things you just mentioned are defintely missed as well even though I didn't enjoy them each season.

Another small thing I noticed on Friday after skiing - hardly any hooks on the poles in the Mansfield base lodge. Guess they want the to keep the bar and eating area clear of clutter :shrug:
I think Vail really doesn't care about the skiing experience at all. Once they sell a couple of million Epic Passes in the Spring the shareholders are satisfied and that's all that matters.

Captain Brainstorm

I'll find out about the hooks, my fishing buddy was a bartender there for 20yrs until Vail fired him (no more free beer). If I had to guess, to direct everyone over to the Great Room to pay 3x more for their drinks.

I still love Stowe, but I'm starting to enjoy it more as a summer destination vs. a winter one. I can still find tourist-free places to fish, hike, canoe, and the mountain biking scene has really blown up over the last few years. They keep adding more and more terrain between Stowe and Waterbury. I think they ultimately want to link Stowe and Waterbury. Plus Ranch Camp and MTBVT puts on an amazing fall Leaf Blower event. If you've never been, you should check it out this year.

Cassinonorth

Pulled the trigger on an Ikon pass for 23/24 so I can head up to VT this weekend. Putting 4 days onto a pass technically not started is a much improved start from 21/22 which I only got 9 days total. Most likely heading to Colorado next winter as well...first time I've been out west since 2013 I think in Lake Tahoe.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well that record year when I lived there has been literally BURIED lol
847"....they are almost 100inches over the previous record.

roc

my buddy flew out for some "spring" skiing. Had to audible to Brighton cause he cant get to Snowbird lol
I've got a buddy out there also, he wanted to go to alta and snowbird, but didn't want to risk getting stuck up there. He said snowbasin has been amazing.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my buddy flew out for some "spring" skiing. Had to audible to Brighton cause he cant get to Snowbird lol
Solitude and Brighton dont get the press that Alta and Snowbird do, but they get the same amount of snow...like almost to the inch....They are both really awesome, easier to get to and usually less crowded. Never had a bad day at either of them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah we really enjoyed Brighton. It’s hard to comprehend how much snow they’re getting out there right now.

Reactions: roc

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Solitude and Brighton dont get the press that Alta and Snowbird do, but they get the same amount of snow...like almost to the inch....They are both really awesome, easier to get to and usually less crowded. Never had a bad day at either of them.
Some of my best days in utah have been at solitude. Love that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom