21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Blue Mtn probably has twice the vertical of Mtn Creek but just as many runs. It was my college go-to spot - 30 min drive. Head up there for night skiing on a Fri night after class, college tickets were like $20 and it wasn't crowded, board until close at 10pm, then go back and booze. I MAY have snuck onto the mtn without paying a couple times as well. good times.

thegock

feels like about 300' of vertical

Taking your skis off every 90 seconds for that stupid cabriolet is a real treat :)

If there's no one (pro tip: Monday) there at either place, my guess is that I would ride 🏂 more runs at Creek than Blue. My old record was 20 solo 1st chair by 2pm. The mom of a fam I Cabbed up with around noon dripping sweat, in 2008 said, "Wow, that's more than I get all year." 🙄

Plus, I hear the 808' vf of the Cab is a better party venue.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I haven't been to Creek in years. Maybe I'll get there after the next snow to compare. Prob about the same distance from my place as blue. Not the same for you RT 80 corridor people.

@UtahJoe - the 90 second bomb down the mountain is why snowboarding is better around here. I guess you could go twin tip skis?
Rather than bomb, I work on getting a good carve, riding switch, playing on small Trailside features. Moguls are also a hoot on a board, although east coast Moguls are always a mess.

also hit a little over 30mph yesterday and it feels much faster on an all-mountain board.

Patrick

Staff member
Anybody tuning their own equipment?
Concern is more about sharpening the edges than wax.

JDurk

Anybody tuning their own equipment?
Concern is more about sharpening the edges than wax.
I'm able to do basic edge tuning and waxing. Repairs or base grinds go to D&Q. Been a long time customer of the business name. A few employees and silent partner customers bought the name a few years ago and focus only on winter sports.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm able to do basic edge tuning and waxing.

Which tools did you get? Are there kits?
I'm sure i can find videos - how long does it take to get good results?

ty.

Cherry hill is a bit far, but there is no way i'm dropping it at pelican.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I haven't been to Creek in years. Maybe I'll get there after the next snow to compare. Prob about the same distance from my place as blue. Not the same for you RT 80 corridor people.

@UtahJoe - the 90 second bomb down the mountain is why snowboarding is better around here. I guess you could go twin tip skis?
Rather than bomb, I work on getting a good carve, riding switch, playing on small Trailside features. Moguls are also a hoot on a board, although east coast Moguls are always a mess.

also hit a little over 30mph yesterday and it feels much faster on an all-mountain board.
Ditto. Turns>straightlining. I saw a carver once who had taken a Burton sticker, cut the letters apart and pasted this on his helmet.

2D86B362-3AEC-4416-A938-4F0EF8917D4D.jpeg
😀

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Which tools did you get? Are there kits?
I'm sure i can find videos - how long does it take to get good results?

ty.

Cherry hill is a bit far, but there is no way i'm dropping it at pelican.
I still use the Burton wax kit (file, scraper, pads, iron) I got back in 87! Key is to scrape as much wax off after you’ve hot waxed, then structure the base with the pads (similar to scotch brute). I’m sure there are more modern techniques by now though. Every so often I’ll spring for a pro tune. Last one I got was at REI and it was pretty good.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I had twin tips for almost 20 years....I donated them to @extremedave tho...I kinda miss them for screwing around sometimes. Maybe dave will let me borrow them from time to time again :)

im just not interested in boarding, I have tried it....I mean on a groomer, its entertaining......but on anything that i like to ski....woods, moguls, natural snow....just give me my skis thanks....now that im taking my son as much as i can and trying to learn him...I need to be on the skis.....im NOT taking him on trips to utah and listening to "DAD TOW ME ACROSS THIS TRAVERSE" NOPE.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom