2023 Racing Calendar

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Dak 1, gwin 2 and luca 3 at nationals. Dak still getting stronger each year. Really hoping we get some more US world cup podiums this year.

Ian F

Same. There's one right turn where he slaps the berm so fast and is heading straight towards a tree, it blows my mind how he didn't hit it. I'm sure his response would be, "what tree?"...

Ian F

Some additional details regarding World Cup viewing:

Short version: Watch live on the GCN+ app on your phone. I bought a casting dongle thing that will hopefully allow me to watch on a TV. I still haven't tried it. Since I actually enjoy watching road and CX racing, I have had the app for a while. The broadcasts are usually decent.

I have no idea who Kate Mason is, but it's not entirely clear what her role will be. For road racing, there are "studio" commentators as well as "live" commentators and they are not always the same folks. It sounds like Ric M and CG will be doing the DH live feed commentating and then back to the studio for final analysis with Kate Mason. But this is somewhat speculation.

We shall see...

Sevenz

Some additional details regarding World Cup viewing:

Short version: Watch live on the GCN+ app on your phone. I bought a casting dongle thing that will hopefully allow me to watch on a TV. I still haven't tried it. Since I actually enjoy watching road and CX racing, I have had the app for a while. The broadcasts are usually decent.

I have no idea who Kate Mason is, but it's not entirely clear what her role will be. For road racing, there are "studio" commentators as well as "live" commentators and they are not always the same folks. It sounds like Ric M and CG will be doing the DH live feed commentating and then back to the studio for final analysis with Kate Mason. But this is somewhat speculation.

We shall see...

Elite Finals of all disciplines will be behind a paywall. Elite Semi Final DH, Junior DH and U23 XC will all be shown live for free on Youtube. Juniors getting free air time is outstanding news!

Ian F

I'm not bothered so much by the pay wall as long as an eventual end game will be monetary sharing to teams that make it into the live feed. Kerr seems to have been the most vocal about this. My WAG is Discovery has been quiet on this point until they have a better idea of what the viewer/revenue rate will be. Especially since the first season will likely lose money.

ebarker9

I feel like there's enough on GCN+ that it's worth the money for me anyway. I'm definitely at a point where I'm willing to spend money to support things that I like, although I do hope that the money spent is ultimately benefitting the sport (perhaps wishful thinking).

I'm still not clear about the commentary team, but I think Rick M is fine from what I've seen, and CG is probably capable of being good in this kind of role.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
... It sounds like Ric M and CG will be doing the DH live feed commentating and then back to the studio for final analysis with Kate Mason. But this is somewhat speculation.
CG.

I love him but good lord I don't see this being great. Especially coming from warner.

Sevenz

If paying gives more exposure to younger up and coming generation I'm all for it. Too bad we did not have this the last 2 years...The Jackson/Jordan battle would have been great to watch.

Showcasing the younger generation coming up is great for the sport! The young talent at the Tennessee National was at an all time level. Asa Vermette is the real deal and will be the next great American male DH racer. On the female side a 14yr old (Aletha Ostagard of the Transition Factory Team) was the fastest female by far all weekend. Gracey Hemstreet getting beat handily by a 14yr old was eye opening for many. DH is alive and well in the US!!

ebarker9

CG.

I love him but good lord I don't see this being great. Especially coming from warner.

I guess he's been doing commentary in French already and reviews have been mixed and I remember him from the drunken hangout Freecaster days. Hoping for a similar transformation to what Warner did when he went through Red Bull media training. I thought he did a great job maintaining his personality and humor but adapting it to a professional broadcast.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I guess he's been doing commentary in French already and reviews have been mixed and I remember him from the drunken hangout Freecaster days. Hoping for a similar transformation to what Warner did when he went through Red Bull media training. I thought he did a great job maintaining his personality and humor but adapting it to a professional broadcast.
I forgot he's been doing the french language world cups for years. That won't make his accent any less distinct but should have polished him a bit.

Ian F

There's definitely a difference between Warner the media commentator during races and Warner the media personality when he does his adventure videos. I would imagine CG has learned that balance as well. Warner was really hilarious in a few of Bernard Kerr's LSD videos during lock down and they were doing moto trials sessions.

serviceguy

So, what’s everybody strategy about watching DH WC this year? Is there any difference between Discovery+ and GCN+, as I have neither I’d like some pointers on the best one to pick…

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
So, what’s everybody strategy about watching DH WC this year? Is there any difference between Discovery+ and GCN+, as I have neither I’d like some pointers on the best one to pick…
I'm watching on GCN/GBN since I can get that app on my Samsung TV. (It's s not available on my roku.)

Ian F

I've had GCN+ for awhile, so that's how I plan to watch. I bought a casting gadget that will hopefully work with getting the phone app to play on a TV with an HDMI input. I'll have to try it soon.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Well I'm thrilled that world cup racing is back. And overall im hopeful these UCI/GCN broadcasts will get better. I watched the men's short track race and obviously there's lots to note.

good things:
bart
on screen graphics
Top riders
Racing is back baby

Not as good things:
There are times where there's no talking. That wasn't just rob in the past, that was red bull production. This broadcast team just doesn't get that you don't show video without voice over or music. Its weird and lackluster.

the other guy is no rob. And while no one is rob, its just a lot less exciting now. And honestly it's not just that we don't have rob. Anyone can start talking sooner and be more lively and interesting. And frankly just be more prepared. "Who is that in the American stripes coming up now?" "Um thats christoper blevins, 2021 world champ." What the hell. There must be 20 guys that can do better than this new guy.

One final note -- can I tell you my favorite thing about GCN? Fast forward and rewind on my remote. That was endless with the red bull app.

Ian F

Rick has been doing the EWS videos for GCN and a few years prior, so I think he is more used to reading a script rather than actually doing it live. It'll probably take some time for him to get used to it. And I agree - he should have better knowledge of the XC racers, but again - I think it's still somewhat new to him. And that is really a producer-fail - staff should be feeding that sort of information into his ear.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought the GCN coverage was solid. No Rob Warner is a huge bummer, but otherwise I enjoyed the broadcast.
Red Bull had a tendency to stop showing the race leaders on the last couple of laps, and instead show a meaningless high profile racer that was currently mid pack. I feel like they always wanted to show Jolanda Nef or Jenny Rissveds a few times, even if they were in 20th place.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Red Bull had a tendency to stop showing the race leaders on the last couple of laps, and instead show a meaningless high profile racer that was currently mid pack. I feel like they always wanted to show Jolanda Nef or Jenny Rissveds a few times, even if they were in 20th place.
Or Kate Courtney or PFP. I get this. 1. Not ideal for the final lap of course but they know people usually don't watch every minute, so its helpful to quickly see where the favorites are. 2. I wouldn't be surprised to see that return. These sports are individual in nature and there isn't always a cool storyline just with the lead pack. And XC sometimes really needs a storyline!

Top Bottom