2022 pro gravity schedule

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Qualies are done and it's the most French dominated quali -- ever. Jesus christ. Bruni finn peirron dipraela coulaged vergier. 5 of the top 6. Holy cow. Other noteworthy riders - hart 7, shaw 10, Greenland 11, dak 13, gwin 35, Luka 67. Gwin crashed earlier in the day.
Screenshot_20220326-114308_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Ian F

Bummer that Neko didn't make it in, but he wasn't the only bigger name rider to not make the show.

The women just finished and holy shit - that race was a nail biter to the end! Looks to be an awesome season!!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The only thing I didnt like about this world cup race was pierron's terrible mustache.

If you were a privateer and could choose any bike you wanted, how could you choose anything other than the Supreme. I know its the rider first and foremost but the bike is so common atop the podium that it must be the pinnacle of DH bikes. V10, demo, sender and session all following close behind.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The only thing I didnt like about this world cup race was pierron's terrible mustache.

If you were a privateer and could choose any bike you wanted, how could you choose anything other than the Supreme. I know its the rider first and foremost but the bike is so common atop the podium that it must be the pinnacle of DH bikes. V10, demo, sender and session all following close behind.
I have the bike. Now I just need to learn French and grow a mustache. :p

Ian F

I'm still not entirely sold on the high pivot/idler set up for my riding style, so I lean more towards a V10. The annoying bit for me is Santa Cruz doesn't offer a "Syndicate" version with a Saint parts spec so I'd have to build it up from a bare frame. I am not a SRAM guy unless it's AXS - and even then I still run Shimano 12 spd parts. The Pivot Phoenix is another option and while it does come spec'd with a Saint drivetrain, the brakes are Hayes Dominions, which is an odd one to me. Ironically, I have two complete sets of Dominions on the shelf (one pair never installed) - and I even have a factory service kit left over from my team's Hayes sponsorship days, but I found I prefer Shimano brakes.

Ian F

I have the bike. Now I just need to learn French and grow a mustache. :p
Now that the border appears to be open, go spend opening month at Highland - pretty sure you'll have learned French by osmosis by the time you leave.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Now that the border appears to be open, go spend opening month at Highland - pretty sure you'll have learned French by osmosis by the time you leave.
Really? Interesting. I haven't been to highland before but I've skied in that area before and haven't heard much French. My son goes to highland this summer for the academy camp and I'm legit excited.

serviceguy

If you were a privateer and could choose any bike you wanted, how could you choose anything other than the Supreme.
I actually had to squint to see there was a mustache there, the guy is freaking awesome on a bike but trichologically challenged.

The Supreme is a really beautiful bike, on top of being the best in the world cup at the moment.

Apparently, the Martin Maes' Orbea downduro experiment did not work out as hoped...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I think we can do race chat now since most of our thread regulars have commented saying they've watched it. Some wrapup from my view:

A lot will be made about the french domination taking it to a new level. And they're right as France won and had 3 of the top 4 riders. But did you see that england placed just as many riders in the top 10? They each had four, and while the frenchies took more top spots (and vergier surely would have also been top 3 had he not washed out), I think the bigger story is how the two nations almost own the sport right now with only 2 Americans and finn iles also in the running.

Vergier finished 12th while crashing. Amazing. That warrants an individual callout since I think he would have won it otherwise. Crashed and still finished 4 seconds ahead of gwin ugh.

American roundup -- Dak on the hot seat woop woop. Yes I'm a fan but if they can get the m29 sorted he should be on the podium. Luca looked amazing and is a top 7 rider right now. Charlie harrison another crash ugh. Poor guy. Legit top 10 talent. Gwin, eh, probably done. Sucks but it's been just too long for him now. But the worst news for Americans is there isn't a junior who is killing it. We need to see the next riders now and we aren't.

Kade Edwards -- yes please. We need this guy killing it at every world cup. Love these freeride crossover guys when they're legit fast.

Bikes -- take away the supreme and the demo and your race is completely different. Those bikes just look sorted. Bruni said they haven't touched his demo in years and he's fine with that. The v10 and session are obviously capable, but if you're a mondraker or intense rider are you confident your bike can help you get you to a win now?

Martin Maes and the forbidden guys -- good luck with those enduro rigs at the tougher courses guys. Like riding a hardtail on the new breed of XC courses -- not ideal.

Overall such an exciting race.

serviceguy

I think we can do race chat now since most of our thread regulars have commented saying they've watched it. Some wrapup from my view:

A lot will be made about the french domination taking it to a new level. And they're right as France won and had 3 of the top 4 riders. But did you see that england placed just as many riders in the top 10? They each had four, and while the frenchies took more top spots (and vergier surely would have also been top 3 had he not washed out), I think the bigger story is how the two nations almost own the sport right now with only 2 Americans and finn iles also in the running.

Vergier finished 12th while crashing. Amazing. That warrants an individual callout since I think he would have won it otherwise. Crashed and still finished 4 seconds ahead of gwin ugh.

American roundup -- Dak on the hot seat woop woop. Yes I'm a fan but if they can get the m29 sorted he should be on the podium. Luca looked amazing and is a top 7 rider right now. Charlie harrison another crash ugh. Poor guy. Legit top 10 talent. Gwin, eh, probably done. Sucks but it's been just too long for him now. But the worst news for Americans is there isn't a junior who is killing it. We need to see the next riders now and we aren't.

Kade Edwards -- yes please. We need this guy killing it at every world cup. Love these freeride crossover guys when they're legit fast.

Bikes -- take away the supreme and the demo and your race is completely different. Those bikes just look sorted. Bruni said they haven't touched his demo in years and he's fine with that. The v10 and session are obviously capable, but if you're a mondraker or intense rider are you confident your bike can help you get you to a win now?

Martin Maes and the forbidden guys -- good luck with those enduro rigs at the tougher courses guys. Like riding a hardtail on the new breed of XC courses -- not ideal.

Overall such an exciting race.
Awesome race, unfortunately I've only seen Vali run from the women's race. On a side note, while I do acknowledge she's on a different level, I didn't particularly like Miriam Nicole's after race comment about not pushing and just trying to finish the race for the points due to her previous crash...seemed a little condescending toward the winner, don't you think?

Personally I think the dual-country dominance has a lot to do with the fact that most races are in Europe, it's just easier to get to the race when you don't have to fly back and forth across the ocean not to mention the financial burden, and with more riders you get more talent. Not sure how to fit in this picture the riders from NZ and AUS but that's my explanation and I stick to it...I'm also disappointed that not a single serious challenge to the French/British domination has been issued from Italy, the sport is pretty big over there, but seems not to bring result at competition level (seems better on women's side though).

Ian F

Really? Interesting. I haven't been to highland before but I've skied in that area before and haven't heard much French. My son goes to highland this summer for the academy camp and I'm legit excited.
Early in the season the Canadian riding areas are still covered in snow. Plus, Highland is just within the distance from Canada where a day or weekend trip isn't a big deal. When I was working in NH back in 2016 I bought a season pass to Highland, so I was there a lot - including opening weekend. Easily half or more of the riders there were Canadian and most of my lift rides were done listening to French. As the season goes on the crowds are reduced and become less Canadian.

Ian F

Ben Cathro basically focused his post-race video on Loris' fall:

Per an IG post, Gwin was also racing a bit sore and wasn't really riding at 100%.

Vali seems to be struggling with finding that balance between pushing for the win and not pushing too hard.

One thing about the French is they have a lot of support from the national cycling federation. And it seems like there are a good number of places to train with WC-level tracks to ride. The British don't seem too far behind. Plus, it helps when one of the past top riders is damn near a national icon (Peaty) which draws people into the sport.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Awesome race, unfortunately I've only seen Vali run from the women's race. On a side note, while I do acknowledge she's on a different level, I didn't particularly like Miriam Nicole's after race comment about not pushing and just trying to finish the race for the points due to her previous crash...seemed a little condescending toward the winner, don't you think?
I'm sure she's pissed she keeps crashing. She's the best when she doesn't crash, a step above vali IMO. But thats the sport for ya. And its something vali learned early on. Miriam is older but maybe she needs to take a cue.

Sevenz

But the worst news for Americans is there isn't a junior who is killing it. We need to see the next riders now and we aren't.
Don't agree with you here...USDH is alive and well and there are a bunch of really fast kids coming up in the next few years. Kenneth "Ryan" Pinkerton (first year JR from Cali) is on GT Factory and finished 7th this weekend (his first world cup ever). Kid is the real deal and that is a great result for your first ever race in Europe. He has been in a few of Bernard's LSD's recently. Andy Driscoll has had some bad luck with mechanicals and such both last year and at Lourdes. He has battled Tristian Lemier (Commencal Muk Off JR) locally at ESC races for years. The female side will also have some really strong talent coming up...Riley Miller just switched from the Liv Factory team to Commencal USA to focus on world cup DH...She finished 10th. Finding proper support is the biggest thing holding back the US talent. They are truly at a disadvantage compared to what is available to the Euro kids. That is starting to change...Fingers Crossed it continues.

Top Bottom