2022 Garden Thread

Robin

I picked up my tomato plants from the local nursery this weekend only because it was when I could and knew the choices would be slim...but I won't put in until maybe this weekend/definitely next week. Everything else will be seed.

qclabrat

I picked up my tomato plants from the local nursery this weekend only because it was when I could and knew the choices would be slim...but I won't put in until maybe this weekend/definitely next week. Everything else will be seed.
Good choice to go early, we go to Rutgers AG field day most years and this year was slim pickings when we got there at 11:30. Also for those who eat meat, they now have a butcher shop which is open to the public on Sundays. I didn't grab any as we were planning to walk around for a bit. But will be back for sure.PXL_20220430_175913725.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After a few years away from farming my produce I decided to take a different approach with extreme low maintenance attempt. I prepared my garden bed by covering it completely with a heavy duty felt and stacked straw bales on it. Started the straw bale preparation process. I'll try to get some picks later and keep updating as I try this new to me process.

ekuhn

Other than a 20ft tall fence...Any one using any ultrasonic or motion sensed light or sprinkler to scare away unwanted plant feeders?

serviceguy

Made a pass on the front and side lawn (the only parts visible from the street) on the lowest setting on my lawnmower to remove the 1,000,000,000,000,000 maple seedlings that joined the 7,976 types of weed that grow in my lawn. The spots were Bailey L. had her way (#1) are now pretty obvious yellow spots, is there any known remedy (after preventing the dog from peeing on the grass) ?

qclabrat

After a few years away from farming my produce I decided to take a different approach with extreme low maintenance attempt. I prepared my garden bed by covering it completely with a heavy duty felt and stacked straw bales on it. Started the straw bale preparation process. I'll try to get some picks later and keep updating as I try this new to me process.
Very interesting, you mean like this? Looking forward to the progressScreenshot_20220515-081018.png

qclabrat

Other than a 20ft tall fence...Any one using any ultrasonic or motion sensed light or sprinkler to scare away unwanted plant feeders?
What are you looking to control? I have a few of these when I first installed the fencing and I see them go off at night but of course only good during the night. PXL_20220515_122029381.jpgFence is only 6ft high but had planned to wire up to 8ft if deer were jumping in but they never did and I ended up putting in a deer fence around the property a few years later. What's more important is to prevent groundhogs and rabbits. If you look closely, I have wire mesh two feet on the sides and buried it below about 6 inches then out for a other foot and a half. PXL_20220515_122922255.jpgNever had groundhogs inside and we have a family under the shed. As for squirrels, chipmunks and birds it's pretty much a lost cause. I trap them when it gets bad cause its usually a few who are ravaging.

qclabrat

Late start this year, shit load of weeds which I'll block out anyway for the tomatoes and peppers. Got a first pass with the hoe before the rain yesterday and will work in some chix manure compost when it dries out later today.
PXL_20220514_142537023.jpgPXL_20220514_144104100.jpg

Over the Bars

Late start this year, shit load of weeds which I'll block out anyway for the tomatoes and peppers. Got a first pass with the hoe before the rain yesterday and will work in some chix manure compost when it dries out later today.
View attachment 184787View attachment 184788
Nice looking space uou have there. Making one last pass with the tiler today and in the ground everything will go ... long gross day of planting ahead of me 20220515_090149.jpg

Robin

What type of matos are you going with this year?
Good question - lol...I think some cherry variety, some plum variety and beefsteak. I'll have to check the little tags for certain. The nursery I get them from had already been picked over/slim pickins. I tend to go with the smaller tomatoes because my luck with big ones (splitting/rotting) hasn't been great.

ekuhn

Worked during the week to get it ready for Sunday's Planting. The clay soil is notoriously wet - so I tried 6 raised beds this time around.

(12) Tomato Plants
(20) Pepper Plants
(8) Cucumber
(4) Zuchini
(24) Sweet White Corn

Also stretched 6ft Chain Link around and closed up any small holes along the perimeter. Hopefully it works and the ultra sonic stuff I bought works too.

IMG_6966.jpeg

IMG_6986.jpeg

qclabrat

Worked during the week to get it ready for Sunday's Planting. The clay soil is notoriously wet - so I tried 6 raised beds this time around.

(12) Tomato Plants
(20) Pepper Plants
(8) Cucumber
(4) Zuchini
(24) Sweet White Corn

Also stretched 6ft Chain Link around and closed up any small holes along the perimeter. Hopefully it works and the ultra sonic stuff I bought works too.

View attachment 184899

View attachment 184898
Looks great but you must love to weed. No weed block?

Top Bottom