2021 Sourlands TM

jklett

I will be there if I can get out of work at least close to on time, hasn't been the easiest thing to do lately so I can't promise anything.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Article:

JORBA was well represented at the Sourland's VPP day.
Christa, Justin, and Patrick, all B'Burg residents made the short ride over to meet-up with George, our JORBA park steward.

We all got to the lot, and had to make the call to start our TM walk without a ranger!

Not two minutes into working the rose whips, hikers were thanking us for cleaning-up the trails.
We took a minute to talk to them, then went on our way knowing the work is appreciated.

A bit up the trail, Mike (English Mike) joined the party with some hand sheers!

Now two sheers, two loppers, and a rake, we made our way towards the 4-way intersection (marker 7.)
The trails have widened quite a bit over the last year, but the the multi-floral rose was determined to draw its blood.
All the overhanging and threatening whips were eradicated.

Around the sidewalk on the lower trail, we met Ranger Darren.
He thought we had already gone through and were working the upper trails.
Ends out that we had a communications breakdown which resulted in the rangers
not meeting us in the lot. Live and learn! It didn't slow anyone down.

Patrick split off from the group to work maple flats on the other side of the pipeline, and to pick
Ranger Darren's brain about possible new trails, and the use of battery operated equipment.
The door is open to both, but there are requirements. Perhaps they can be formalized?

The rest of the group continued towards marker 7 at the 4-way, where they met up with Ranger Agnes.
That was a wrap for the day, with more than 12 volunteer hours accumulated by a small, motivated group.

George, Christa, and Justin working it.

1623901514926.png

Trail braiding on Maple Flats. It was always over the rocks.

1623901587071.png

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Next official TM Day is Sunday 7/18 10:00am. Working on finalizing the plan but trying to find a short hike project. Come on out!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
BUMP for SUNDAY 10AM. We will have a short hike to just above Marker 1 on Yellow to make a recent reroute actually rideable by strategically placing rocks.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm 50% right now - got some damage to take care of around the house.
nothing serious, just lots of clean-up.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rangers just called me - CANCELLED TODAY. Storms yesterday were bad and there's flooding and road closures. Sorry for late notice.

Patrick

Staff member
Mini-TM

Finally got around to replacing that missing board on the lower trail approaching the pipeline.

1626700607105.png

A crew is there repairing a gas leak! big-dig just above the pond, and below the lower trail crossing.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Alright, it's already time for the next TM day: Saturday 8/7 9am! We will try to do what was cancelled last time - short hike to marker 1. Come on out!

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
BUMP for Saturday 9am. Short hike, classic Sourlands rock puzzling. I may even entertain a quick ride after if people are interested.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions