2021 Pro Gravity Schedule

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Gwin noted earlier today the track is a muddy mess. BTW leogang is the track gwin used to dominate so hopefully he's primed for a legit comeback.

Reactions: don

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hate muddy finals. Legit I barely care. Removes so much of the thrill for me.
Really I think quit the opposite. Gives guys willing to risk it for the brisket a chance. When conditions are mint realistically how many guys are capable of winning maybe 6 or so .

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Really I think quit the opposite. Gives guys willing to risk it for the brisket a chance. When conditions are mint realistically how many guys are capable of winning maybe 6 or so .
Certainly it opens it up and guys like Greenland and Reece wilson become bigger threats. But I just don't like how its so monumentally different from the racing I love. Not just technical but pure mud. It becomes more about the course and where you qualified and less about your skills. Sam hill and Danny hart's rides aside of course :)

serviceguy

Certainly it opens it up and guys like Greenland and Reece wilson become bigger threats. But I just don't like how its so monumentally different from the racing I love. Not just technical but pure mud. It becomes more about the course and where you qualified and less about your skills. Sam hill and Danny hart's rides aside of course :)
Not going to anticipate anything, but today mid made it for an interesting mix. On a side note my browser froze on the last 20 seconds of the race, SOB!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Mine did too. Rider around the last corner - circle of death = "AAARRGH!!!!"
I watch all races on the redbull app on roku and its perfect FWIW. So much nicer on the TV than a browser. But what a race today! Almost impossible to even correctly pick half the riders on a podium. I will say I've met today's winner and he was so genuinely cool that I've rooted for him ever since.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Okay so lets get into it! Was that the best world cup in recent memory? No, snowshoe 2019 and a few others jump out as either having more effect on the overall or having more lead changes or both. But was it pretty damn good? Yep!

Greenland with the low qualifying time but perfectly suited for the tech section so he sits in the lead for a bit. Then Pierron with the nice comeback and strong through the tech section to reclaim his place atop the podium however temporarily. Then a slew of guys go faster through the opening speed section to keep you watching but inevitably they all can't maintain their speed through that nasty tech section. Then depraela who is like 19 years old somehow opens up a 3 second lead in the opening section??? And maintains it through the tech and finish to grab the hot seat, but as fast as he was his tech section had one ugly near-complete stop. So we knew we hadn't seen the perfect run yet and sure enough brosnan who was faster than anyone else in qualifying by 6 freaking seconds starts off slower but is perfect through the tech and finishes strong to win by 1.2s.

And just so I can say it again I met brosnan at MSA in 2018 and he was just as nice and cool as you'd think he is. All smiles and handshakes and happy to chat. That guy is the consummate pro and outside of 2020 is nearly perpetually on the podium somewhere but grabs his first win in 4 years. Hell yeah.

Only dak dollowing his 4th qualifying spot with a podium position or gwin making a return to greatness with a win would have made it better. Otherwise it was a great race and one that reminds us that there are 10 or 15 guys who can win a world cup right now. Bring on les gets!

Ian F

It was definitely a great race to watch. Les Gets will have a bunch of racers hungry for redemption. You can tell Minnaar and Gwin, among others, did not get the results they wanted.

My WAG is Loris brapped one of the upper berms so hard it pealed the tire off the rim. Since there aren't a lot of rocks on that course, maybe he wasn't running inserts to save weight?

In the downtime podcast, Neko explained what happened to him during his qualifying run and why he didn't make the cut (warning - it's about an hour and a half of DH nerdiness):

serviceguy

What about the women's race? I was really looking forward to Vali's win, but second even with a crash is still a great result for her first elite race. I think women's races are going to be fun to watch even though both Rachel Artherton and Tracy Hannah are not competing. I I think Valentina is going to win the whole thing this year, hopefully she'll have some competition.

Ian F

Elliot mentioned in the podcast how while they expected Vali to dominate, her split times weren't always as fast as expected. But I agree - if she keep her head together, stay on her bike and not get hurt, she shouldn't have any trouble winning the overall. It should be fun to watch the other women step up their game to compete with her. Hopefully Seagrave will find her confidence again.

Ian F

Bernard Kerr uploaded a trackwalk LSD video of the 2021 Hardline course. The features looked big when he does the pre-ride, but absolutely huge when there's people walking down them. :oops:

Top Bottom