Park Rat Thread

Bryan? Still laughing about him sending covenant first lap but walking his bike down asylum lol.

It's been years since I rode that rock slab section on Asylum. I was never good/brave enough to ride it at speed so it was always an exercise in front brake control, aiming almost all the way left to the tree, crawling down. Since the season is over I can now confidently say "next season!".

It's been years since I rode that rock slab section on Asylum. I was never good/brave enough to ride it at speed so it was always an exercise in front brake control, aiming almost all the way left to the tree, crawling down. Since the season is over I can now confidently say "next season!".
the lines people were sending down that thing at the ESC finals were freakin bananas. zero room for error with some of those gaps.

Killington is by far my favorite. Night and day from creek. Way longer runs, top to bottom flow/jump trails. Like 50 jumps in 6 or 7 minutes non stop. Fast chairlifts, and the dirt is way better with way less braking bumps. Thunder is also good with long flow/jump trails and a bunch of tech too. The dirt at thunder is the best i've ever seen, so smooth.

Also creek jumps are all very lippy, seems like the gravity logic jump trails at killington and thunder are not as lippy and have HUGE landings so you can overshoot or come up short and be totally fine.

But, if you are a regular at creek you will be prepared for the gnarliest tech that you find in other parks. If you can ride creek tech then you'll be good on any tech trails out there.
I generally agree with that. The one difference between the tech trails in VT vs. Mtn Creek is in VT they are more prone to being wet. Especially DH Trail or Upper J-Bar at Burke.

Gravity Logic jumps tend to be more forgiving to over-jumping. Which is good since a couple of them on Gronk @ Thunder I've over-shot a few times. It definitely takes me longer to get used to the more lippy jumps at Creek.

the lines people were sending down that thing at the ESC finals were freakin bananas. zero room for error with some of those gaps.
I could swear Asylum looks easier/smoother now than it did when I first raced on it 20-odd years ago. That said, I've only walked it during the recent races and haven't had to ride it. Plus, we ride a lot of slabs like that at the Fredrick Watershed, so I'm somewhat more familiar with them now. Only at the Shed I'm usually riding down a slab/chunk trail like that on my Spot trail bike.

I didn't get to Creek for the last weekend, but I got there three times this year, which is better than previous years. Plus a couple of days at Blue and one at Bryce. Unfortunately, didn't make it to Thunder. While I would like to get there more next year, I have a number of classic car trips planned, so I don't really know. There's a chance I'll make a few trips to Blue via back-roads with my GT6 as I need to put miles on it. Loading DH riding gear on/into the GT6 should be an amusing sight. Plus, I have to plan a tour down through WV, MD and western VA and with any luck I'll squeeze in a trip to Bryce along the way.

One of my friends posted the lift line was across the bridge to the ramps... Wow.
That GT6 really is a Spitfire of a car. OK, that was bad even for me. I’ll show myself out😂🤘

That GT6 really is a Spitfire of a car. OK, that was bad even for me. I’ll show myself out😂🤘
I have one of each, so.... yeah.

1636416485059.png

Killington is by far my favorite. Night and day from creek. Way longer runs, top to bottom flow/jump trails. Like 50 jumps in 6 or 7 minutes non stop. Fast chairlifts, and the dirt is way better with way less braking bumps. Thunder is also good with long flow/jump trails and a bunch of tech too. The dirt at thunder is the best i've ever seen, so smooth.

Also creek jumps are all very lippy, seems like the gravity logic jump trails at killington and thunder are not as lippy and have HUGE landings so you can overshoot or come up short and be totally fine.

But, if you are a regular at creek you will be prepared for the gnarliest tech that you find in other parks. If you can ride creek tech then you'll be good on any tech trails out there.
Killington is great but hard to compare with creek. IMO many of the lips are too shallow. While just launching you is great, sometimes it could use some shape.
I would be curious on the number of users between creek and killington. When I was at killington, the mountain was bare but it was also during the week.

Killington is great but hard to compare with creek. IMO many of the lips are too shallow. While just launching you is great, sometimes it could use some shape.
I would be curious on the number of users between creek and killington. When I was at killington, the mountain was bare but it was also during the week.

Went on a beautiful weekend in Mid August and most we waited was 5 chairs. Interestingly Creek has ~40 miles of trails and Killington has ~30 miles. I think the type of trails matters...how many miles of Creek are flow trails vs gnarly tech that 90% of riders dont touch?

Killington is hard to compare on rider numbers because they run three somewhat separate trail systems and lifts, plus up to 2000' of elevation to work with from the K2 peak. There may not be as many trails, but they are long. Regardless, I doubt there are many bike parks other than Whistler that see the numbers Mtn Creek does. A side effect of being in such a densely populated area.

I made it down to Bryce on Friday for one last day of park riding. They were already starting to prep for the Winter season. And while the sun was out, it was breezy. Still had a good time riding for a few hours. I try to not to think about the horrific riding-to-driving ratio of doing that trip, but I also go there to ride with my friends from the DC area (it's well over 4 hrs from home).

Now it's time to give the Megatower a good tear-down and rebuild. And as I was packing up to leave, I realized I'd broken one of the rear spokes, so I'll have to fix that. I need a new rear tire anyway and the sealant is overdue for replacement.

I made it down to Bryce on Friday for one last day of park riding. They were already starting to prep for the Winter season. And while the sun was out, it was breezy. Still had a good time riding for a few hours. I try to not to think about the horrific riding-to-driving ratio of doing that trip, but I also go there to ride with my friends from the DC area (it's well over 4 hrs from home).

Now it's time to give the Megatower a good tear-down and rebuild. And as I was packing up to leave, I realized I'd broken one of the rear spokes, so I'll have to fix that. I need a new rear tire anyway and the sealant is overdue for replacement.
A buddy when this year and told me it wasn’t even remotely worth the drive.

A buddy when this year and told me it wasn’t even remotely worth the drive.
Oh yeah, given our local choices of Blue and Mtn Creek, I wouldn't make the trip down there if I didn't have other motives. That said, Bryce was the last lift served park on the East Coast to be open - and while they were originally planning to close after Thanksgiving, some unexpected snow-making opportunities made them close early - Monday was the last day they were open. Now it's only Kanuga or Windrock.

Back
Top Bottom