Park Rat Thread

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So it looks like $20 to park where we used to park for free before the water park creatures showed up, and free to park in the gravel lots.

So what's wrong with parking in the gravel lot for free? Getting the water park people to pay for parking might be the only thing keeping the whole summer operation afloat.

Over the Bars

Anybody going to be at creek on Monday that might be willing to take a park noobie around a bit? I'll be heading up there for the day for the first time. I grew up practically living at the place during ski season and worked there for years as a ski instructor all through high school and breaks during college but was only ever interested in BMX back then.

Cassinonorth

So what's wrong with parking in the gravel lot for free? Getting the water park people to pay for parking might be the only thing keeping the whole summer operation afloat.

They may have to... Gasp... Pedal their bikes there
princess_fainting_cropped.jpg

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I’d be down with the gravel lot being only for bikes during the water park season.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Man there was no one at creek this morning. Never waited a minute for a gondola. There weren't even the waterpark crowds I envisioned. I've gone from being worried about lines to being worried about creek staying business. Hopefully it was just yesterday's rain keeping people home.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Man there was no one at creek this morning. Never waited a minute for a gondola. There weren't even the waterpark crowds I envisioned. I've gone from being worried about lines to being worried about creek staying business. Hopefully it was just yesterday's rain keeping people home.
Father’s Day

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So it looks like $20 to park where we used to park for free before the water park creatures showed up, and free to park in the gravel lots.

Paying is not the issue in my opinion. I'd gladly pay $20, plus my season pass cost, if it means keeping the bike park open, but that's not the case. It's casting us aside to get extra parking revenue for customers that mostly show up once or twice a year. Whereas, the majority of riders show up multiple times a month for the entire 6 month season.

Now they have to hire security, parking lot attendants, and a parking lot cleaning crew to deal with all the issues that are associated with opening the water park.

And now we have to worry about our gear, tools, and possibly bikes go missing.

There should be some sort of middle ground: reserve a select number of spots for bikers in the cobblestone lot, like what they did in previous years.

Maybe they need the additional revenue to pay for Chuck's food costs....

View attachment 160090
There are maybe 10 cars at most in the upper lot right now and I was just turned away. I get it it on a Saturday… but it’s literally just an empty lot right now and they are paying someone to sit there and tell me to drive down to the lower lot.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are maybe 10 cars at most in the upper lot right now and I was just turned away. I get it it on a Saturday… but it’s literally just an empty lot right now and they are paying someone to sit there and tell me to drive down to the lower lot.

How long of a bike ride is it from the lower lot to the upper lot?

JonF

Maybe an event going on there and parking is reserved? Seems like there's always a wedding up at the summit lately. Covid deferred a lot of weddings to this year so expect even more than normal years.

Ian F

It looks like my first park day will be at Bryce tomorrow to hang with some teammates. I'm trying not to think to much about the drive-to-riding ratio. But much of the reason to to hang with friends for the day.
This assuming I can finally finish work for the day (as I'm waiting for a Revit model to open at 7pm...)

Top Bottom