2021 Giant Trance 29 X 2

Mike679

OK - @extremedave requested a review, so here goes:

I had been riding a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert since, well, 2006. That bike served me exceptionally well over the years, but I was looking to move to something new, probably later in the year or early 2021, especially given the shortage of bikes with this whole COVID-19 thing. That plan changed when I cracked the top tube on the SJ over Labor Day Weekend up at Gurney Lane in NY (for anyone interested in a 2019 Epic Expert frame - check the classifieds for the warranty replacement I'm selling;)). I only keep one MTB and a road bike, so I had to move the timeframe up a bit. My LBS is a Trek dealer and I was interested in the Trek Fuel EX 8 (hated the paint job on the 2021, though), but they were saying no bikes of that ilk until May of 2021. Started calling around to other shops and basically came up empty for the price range I was looking in - was narrowing down to the Tall Boy AL, Giant Trance or Trance X, and the EX-8. With a wife that works part-time, a kid in college, another about to get his license and a 14-year-old with her expenses, a carbon Hightower or other bikes like that were too much of a reach, hence the interest in aluminum-framed bikes.

The notion of not mountain biking until the spring was a bit depressing to me. First-world problem, but...

I saw a post somewhere on here about Pop's in Somerville getting a shipment of the Trance Xs, but they didn't have my size (XL), but I ended up finding one in at a shop in Emmaus using the search tool on the Giant site. Long story short, I drove out there, rode it around the block for an urban test ride and drove off with it. This was in mid-September.

Here's the review part of the post:

I've ridden the bike so far at Stephens, Deer Park, Chimney Rock, Nassau, and Nox - so a good variety of terrain. Haven't ventured to Allamuchy North yet, but will get there soon. The first thing I will say is that the bike is heavy in it's stock configuration. Wheels are the anchor at almost 2500g, so that will be the first upgrade (when needed) to lose a pound or so. Could probably lose a little more with some lighter tires as well. The bike has a lot of the Giant-branded components (wheels, cockpit, and dropper post - more on that in a minute), with an SLX drivetrain, which I'm quite happy with so far. Fox suspension (150/135) - not their high-end stuff, but serviceable nonetheless.

Coming from an old-school geometry 26" wheeled bike, this is quite a different experience. I'd be lying if I said that I don't notice the weight on climbs, but the bike pedals really well going up, especially on the rocky stuff the traction and control is excellent. For reference I got right up the Orange guardrail climb at CR for the first time in years without spinning out. I have the flip chip flipped to the more aggressive angle which for me was better than the more lax setting on the type of terrain I ride, particularly when climbing and on the rocks ( a lot of pedal strikes in the low setting). Going downhill and on the flats is where the bike is a real blast for me. Stable yet surprisingly nimble in corners and the Maestro suspension isn't overly active if I come up for some out-of-saddle pedaling. Also - 780mm bars haven't been difficult for me to adjust to at all, but some cushier grips are coming soon.

My main bitch so far with this bike is the Giant dropper post. It was a bit sticky from the get go and devolved to being completely stuck down toward the end of my very first ride. Got it functioning that night, but the same thing happened on subsequent rides after a few drops - cable was frayed so I replaced that, but to no avail. I have a warranty claim in for it so in the meantime I'm just riding with the post extended for the most part until that gets sorted out. I look forward to that so I can really push limits on corners and down hill without the saddle keeping me from getting low. Will likely upgrade to a better quality post at some point, though.

Overall, I am very happy with the bike. The bang-for-buck factor was the best of the bikes in that category, at least in my opinion. I'm almost 50, I don't race, and don't plan to, and I mostly ride alone or with people of similar or equal speed. I feel a little less beat-up after rides on this bike and there is something about the euphoria of a new bike that brings joy. Upgrades will happen, but so far, so good on this one. With that said, I told my wife that no fuckin way am I waiting another 15 years before I get another mountain bike. Until then, gotta start angling for a replacement for the 10-year-old road bike...

Attachments

• IMG_3607.jpg
    IMG_3607.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 34

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Much obliged! Funny, wheels are always a nice upgrade but didn't think of them as something that would noticeably slow the bike down. Do you think it might be the larger tires partially?
cheers!

Mike679

Much obliged! Funny, wheels are always a nice upgrade but didn't think of them as something that would noticeably slow the bike down. Do you think it might be the larger tires partially?
cheers!
Reducing rotational weight will always help with speed. The tires are 2.5/front, 2.4/rear, so some weight could be lost there as well. Truth be told, I don’t feel at all slow on this bike, but I do notice the extra few pounds at the top of shorter, punchy climbs. If I were truly worried about weight, I’d have bought a $3k hard tail, but comfort and fun trump weight and speed at this stage in my life.

EJphotos

Nice write up. I thoroughly enjoy my Trance X 3. It can't be beat at that price point for what it comes with. Stable and nimble at the same time, and great on climbs. Super fun on the downhill. I want to practice jumping on it - I know it can handle it.

1603456680260.png

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
cheers!
2500 grams vs a light set of trail carbons at 1350-1600...saving 2.5lbsish

Top Bottom