2020 Work/Expansion

MuniMan

The Americorps/NYNJTC crew is scheduled to be work rebuilding the McKeags Meadow trail this week. Shown on the 2009 Master Plan. The Augusta Mine trail, called AM/ARC on the master plan has not been approved yet, so for the time being McKeags and the Current loop will remain disjoint except for those who are interested in riding up/down from the Redback/Hutch junction. Note that Hutch is called RBN on the master plan and the Munsee Eagle trail that was built is quite different than what wea envisioned on the master plan.

As in the past few years they should be working 5 days a week. Volunteers are welcome to join them.

We will also continue to make touch-ups on the current loop. Some 'light' rock work got put in place yesterday cleaning up a few jagged rocks in a wet season muddy spot. There was quarrying activity in the aera and this slab was in a junk pile about 50' uphill from the trail. For something weighing somewhere between 500-600 pounds it was pretty easy to move on rollers. Thanks to the guys who helped set it.

Best guess is that it was cut 100-200 years ago during the iron mining era. There are some more slabs to be harvested and used in that area. Its always cool finding building matrerials like this out in the middle of the woods.

IMG_6059[1].JPG
IMG_6062[1].JPG

IMG_6065[1].JPG

IMG_6075[1].JPG

Last edited:

MuniMan

Hey, thanks for helping move it. Quite the 4th grade science exercise of simple machines with a little gravity assist. We moved it 330’.

I got back out there today and planted it. All of the cut/drill marks were on the other side. I would have liked to let them show but that side wasn’t as clean so I put it in as it was when we moved it.

I measured it with my phone app. 8’ 8” x 17.5” x 5” Thickness varied from 4 to 6” so I called it 5. Granite weighs about 180 Pounds/foot^3. So our slab comes in at 950 pounds. With little exaggeration call it a half ton.

234125A3-B524-4F9B-8515-17BFA87C5BE7.jpeg
93F15359-A6E0-4B32-86A7-1ABDC85CA9CA.jpeg
9B7FC0CB-4B98-4DE0-8850-18068C74A632.jpeg

Last edited:

Som3guy

Looks great, Brian! Can't wait to ride it. A half ton! No wonder it was so hard.

Last edited:

MuniMan

When's the next work session, Brian? People are asking on the FB NJ Mountain Biking group

Going to try for some work this coming Sunday morning, August 9. Potential for an early start 6:30 AM to beat the heat.

Work is here

There are some more slabs that need to get installed to finish up the latest area. I left one of them in the middle of the go-around that is forming.

Then onto a few trouble more trouble spots closer to the Caretaker lot. One has easy slabs uphill and close. Another I need to scout out still. The selection of building material where we are now is pretty sweet. Some natural and some cut by who knows

IMG_6403[1].JPG
IMG_6406[1].JPG
IMG_6408[1].JPG
IMG_6410[1].JPG

MuniMan

We will be working tomorrow, Sunday, September 13. Come any time. Help for a few hours if you are out taking a ride.

Sunday Trail Work, Munsee Eagle.

Going to arrive about 6:30 am at Caretaker lot. Probably stay till about 3:00pm.

We will be doing some rock work, slabs, retaining wall etc.
Please boots/gloves/eye protection/head protection (bike helmet ok) .
Please do this online form, it is CYA with NY Parks if you are injured. Form is good for the calendar year.
https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/84cc960932c1472e97a15fed75133de4

Karate Monkey

@MuniMan any way you can beat the Monmouth County Park System over the head with a large binder of your trail plan/successful work? We're mad jelly down here.

MuniMan

@MuniMan any way you can beat the Monmouth County Park System over the head with a large binder of your trail plan/successful work? We're mad jelly down here.
No binder, I have no role in the planning to speak of. NY Parks has the will to put the trails in. 40 miles of multi-use trails in Sterling Forest State Park were put on the 2009 master plan as the park was expanding. Whats been built (8 miles) and currently being planned bears resemblance to that plan. NY State has contracted with the NYNJ Trail Conference for the actual design and building of the trails. The design process requires all sorts of approvals making it long and slow but its no longer a political battle. Its just a matter of the biologists and the like saying that a trail section is feasible to be built. As in it doesnt trample rare or delicate plants or get too close to a known rattlesnake den.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions