2020 garden thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my parents have forsithias around there property, they definintely form an impenetrable fence, but they do grow like crazy and take some effort to keep trimmed

ekuhn

I want to plant a 'natural' fence between myself and neighbors. I love them but it's just too wild over there. They have storage trailers parked on m property taking up like 20'x6' of my property. I will be asking them to move them soon.

so a couple questions
-recommendation for green fence species, cost effective and grows fast!
-any surveyors here?
-how close can I plant these plants to the property line. I'm fine if it's on my property and I trim the one side on there's

I like the idea of Forsythia's. They are pretty right now.

Leyand Cypress or White Pines for natural fence. Planted 8ft apart. Will take time to grow in, but once complete you wont see through. Leylands are deer resistant and will grow quickly. Deer eat arborvitae and forsythias are a nice yellow color but they are dont get all that tall.

Have a survey from when you bought the house? Simple math can get you the corners, then pull a string line. I'd stay minimum 5ft+ back.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
rhododendrons. deer resistant, green in winter.

easy enough to ask them to move since you've were planning on new plantings this year!

THATmanMANNY

@ekuhn
Re: survey - good idea!
No trees though. Middleish height plants is good enough
I regret trimming the lower branches of the pine trees a few years back. Now we see too much of each other happenings.

Keep the recs coming! thanks

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got some growth of broccoli, string beans, peppers, something else. Also planted tomatoes, spinach, some other lettuce. This pic shows only one of the 4 flats of veggies (plus some flowers) in the basement

20200425_214910.jpg
Soon separate and move to bigger pots, then to raised planter bed.

20200412_163234.jpg

THATmanMANNY

In laws have this Japanese maple but it has never been all red. Why? It’s very bad and when they planted it years ago I advised it was too close...
9721E7D3-A365-4C63-930D-C449D596D01C.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
wow that's like most of the tree!

doesn't matter - it looks bad, as it isn't meant to be more than 24" high,
and have some width.

if you want height there,
pull it and get a red dragon (i had to look up the name)

1589906561751.png

ebarker9

Speaking of Japanese Maples, we have one in the yard that's not looking so great this year. It's shedding leaves and they have some weird colors. I know absolutely nothing about gardening and plants...any ideas what's up? We did put down mulch but that was after it started looking questionable.

IMG_20200518_090207.jpgIMG_20200518_090215.jpg

ekuhn

I ended up going a bit heavy this year.

7 varieties of tomatoes (4 Cherry, 4 grape, 4 early girl, 4 big boy, 4 beefsteak, 4 Rutgers, 1 green)
3 varieties of peppers (4 cherry bomb, 4 Hungarian wax, 4 Jalapeño)
Corn (a first)
Cucumbers
Red onion
Scallions
Chives
Basil
Parsley

B2CC2733-8666-4AF2-B65F-6C5D717F9C98.jpeg

Top Bottom