2020 garden thread

jklett

Getting good yield from the cherries but between the rabbits, deer, and groundhogs it's hard to get any of the bigger ones ripe.

Our squash all died suddenly too but they seem to do that every year by this time. At least for us anyways. We got a bunch before the die off though.20200811_094732.jpg20200811_094741.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Getting good yield from the cherries but between the rabbits, deer, and groundhogs it's hard to get any of the bigger ones ripe.

Our squash all died suddenly too but they seem to do that every year by this time. At least for us anyways. We got a bunch before the die off though.View attachment 136754View attachment 136755
We only planted one cherry this year because of that. I was disappointed I couldnt find Black Cherry plants this year.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
lol, those fellas are tiny for August
I've never seen a store-sized watermelon grow at home. They must inject steroids.

My grandparents tried a few times and always get a cantaloupe or smaller sized watermelon. Same with pumpkins.

jklett

We only planted one cherry this year because of that. I was disappointed I couldnt find Black Cherry plants this year.
I can save you some seeds from mine if you want.

My kids helped start ours and somehow 3 or 4 plants started growing in the bag of starter mix so we planted them to see what happens. Turned out to be all various cherry so we're inundated with them. Thankfully everyone snacks on them but I was looking forward to the big slicing ones. Oh well, I'll just have to work on something for next year. Maybe better fencing, only have a 4' welded wire on t-posts this year.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Massive tomato failure this season. Plants just never grew. Weird.
When you water, make sure you don't hit the leaves. Water at the ground and trim whatever leaves are close to or touching the ground. Lots of sun and control water intake so they don't explode.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When you water, make sure you don't hit the leaves. Water at the ground and trim whatever leaves are close to or touching the ground. Lots of sun and control water intake so they don't explode.
@MMuller
I have watered my tomatoes maybe 3 times this year, last year similar.

You also need to sucker them so they dont focus all the growing on growing new vines. It is hard to keep up with though, becomes a part time job.

MMuller

too hot and wet for us, plants bolted, even with regular pruning. Also not as much fruiting either. Where the bees?
Bees, bugs, bats in general. Used to start up pool every day and scoop out tons of bugs live or dead. Last year noticed none! I mean, literally none! Same this year. Everybody hates mosquitoes of course, but them too. I remember highway driving after road trips having to clean your windshield of dead bugs. Now nothing.

qclabrat

Emergency last beet harvest as squirrels are liking the taste. I always eat the tops, tastes like Swiss chard or spinach but gotta cook them as they are bitter raw when older. Also I got chickens this year, not sure if I posted them. 6 RI hybrids, great egg layers. They followed me heading in so figured to give them a photo shoot.

IMG_20200815_191405.jpg
IMG_20200815_191550.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How did everyone's tomatoes do? The beginning of the season for me saw big tomatoes before the mid-sized size and then a decent yield from the early girls and rutgers. But then, it kinda all stopped, even the cherries. Now I have a bunch of green fruit and the plants look ok and some are starting to change. A few neighbors and my dad (in York, PA) saw their tomatoes 100% die off in mid-August.

Top Bottom