2020/21 Fat Bike Comeback

hls811

So, now that I have one.. Where are some of the ideal and not so good places to ride a fat bike during the warmer weather and dry terrain. I know its pretty much a go-anywhere bike, especially now that I have a Mastodon installed, but as I'm out on my full suspension I can't help wonder if the fat bike would be able to handle certain places.. I did see someone riding his at Nassau yesterday, I'm pretty sure I've seen a handful at Six Mile in the past.. I rode mine at Chimney Rock last week and was OK, but from what I've read other places rocky and rooty is still better on a FS (which I guess could be said about any hardtail, not specifically one with4.8" tires)

I'm guessing up north where its even more rocky might be a problem, but are there any places you've taken your fat bike and regretted it, or just some that you wouldn't even think to try?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm guessing up north where its even more rocky might be a problem, but are there any places you've taken your fat bike and regretted it, or just some that you wouldn't even think to try?

I love riding my fat bike on rocks, but I don't go fast. I would say that fat bikes are best on the rockiest trails that you can find. I just did a few rides on 27.5 wheels with 3.8 minions after years on 26x4.8. I'm really liking it so far, but I think I'll want the 4.8's for the real rocky stuff. Although I guess I'm now in the market for a better 27.5 fat wheelset now that I know I like it. It's hard to go back to a normal hub after years on an i9 rear hub with practically unlimited engagement.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Everywhere! I pointed my fatbike downhill at RV yesterday, and the new fork made all the difference!
let it go, and it smoothed everything out - running the 4.8 minions - i also have 29x3 for 6MR & Nassau later this year.

Also hit the sourlands for some rock crawling last week.
The mental shift is that the line is whatever is in front of you - just run it over.
I should have done the hub when i replaced the rear rim, but i'll live.

i'm still staring at the eagle setup........right now running 11-42 x11. could go 11-46 and stick with it for the 29r.

hls811

Everywhere! I pointed my fatbike downhill at RV yesterday, and the new fork made all the difference!
let it go, and it smoothed everything out - running the 4.8 minions - i also have 29x3 for 6MR & Nassau later this year.

Also hit the sourlands for some rock crawling last week.
The mental shift is that the line is whatever is in front of you - just run it over.
I should have done the hub when i replaced the rear rim, but i'll live.

i'm still staring at the eagle setup........right now running 11-42 x11. could go 11-46 and stick with it for the 29r.
I wouldn't have a problem going downhill at RV, its the up thats a b*tch!

Just curious, why swapping out the tires for Nassau, some of that is really rocky, wouldn't the bigger wheels still help there? 6M I could see being overkill, aside from some roots it isn't very technical.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Just curious, why swapping out the tires for Nassau, some of that is really rocky, wouldn't the bigger wheels still help there? 6M I could see being overkill, aside from some roots it isn't very technical.

there are a few rock gardens at nassau, not sure i'd put it in the "rocky" category - CR has more - and i can navigate that rigid SS, maybe just perception?

The 29r+ gets rid of the extra "travel" and roll for a bit more precision - i haven't tried a 27.5 setup. seems a good summertime alternative,
if the big tires get stale - like for maybe 1 ride. I'm not sure i'm talking to @JimN anymore. ;) probably still bring him a beer now and then tho.

Skunkape

Five inches or GTFO. Do as I say not as I do.
Have to agree with this. I have only ridden 26 x 4.8 and my very unscientific belief is that every reduction in sidewall height takes away from the fat magic. B fat is probably faster, but more fun me thinks not

Skunkape

So, now that I have one.. Where are some of the ideal and not so good places to ride a fat bike during the warmer weather and dry terrain. I know its pretty much a go-anywhere bike, especially now that I have a Mastodon installed, but as I'm out on my full suspension I can't help wonder if the fat bike would be able to handle certain places.. I did see someone riding his at Nassau yesterday, I'm pretty sure I've seen a handful at Six Mile in the past.. I rode mine at Chimney Rock last week and was OK, but from what I've read other places rocky and rooty is still better on a FS (which I guess could be said about any hardtail, not specifically one with4.8" tires)

Just get out and find what’s fun. There is a duality to a well set up fatbike that holds endless appeal. With a good fork (mastodon), and enough psi you can shred everything enduro bro style the way the internet demands. But that same steed is also the perfect choice for places you would never take a spindly little FS bike. Deer trails, dry washes, empty lakes are all fair game now so think outside the box and keep an eye out for random stashes.

thegock

So, now that I have one.. Where are some of the ideal and not so good places to ride a fat bike during the warmer weather and dry terrain. I know its pretty much a go-anywhere bike

We usually hit the beach in the off season and have always enjoyed it.

3BEA CHES IMG_20200201_121913-01.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have to agree with this. I have only ridden 26 x 4.8 and my very unscientific belief is that every reduction in sidewall height takes away from the fat magic. B fat is probably faster, but more fun me thinks not

I only have a handful of rides on my 27.5x3.8 Minions, but they definitely seem faster and more playful. I'll likely end up back on the 4.8's, but it's nice that I can pretty easily swap between wheel sizes.

We usually hit the beach in the off season and have always enjoyed it.

I have almost five full years on the fatty at this point, and I have never taken it to the beach.

serviceguy

I only have a handful of rides on my 27.5x3.8 Minions, but they definitely seem faster and more playful. I'll likely end up back on the 4.8's, but it's nice that I can pretty easily swap between wheel sizes.
must...not...try...this...ah, who am I kidding?
I have almost five full years on the fatty at this point, and I have never taken it to the beach.
I should try this!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Swapping to a 2.5 should do you good

Top Bottom