2020-2021 XC SKI

Rossi BC65,
I'm far less knowledgeable than @pooriggy and others on here, but I've been using the Rossi OT65 for a few seasons now, mostly on groomed tracks, with occasional off-piste excursions. They are the same ski as the BC65, with only a partial metal edge, and they've been good for my purposes. Certainly slower on groomed terrain than a true CX ski, though.

I picked up rossignol OT65s last week. Got a good package deal on skiessentials.com. They were recommended on here as good all around ski. I have zero ski experience so I have no advice, just buy them early. I decided half way through last winter that I wanted some xc skis, but was slim pickings trying to track anything decent down.

I picked up the Rossignol BC65's ten years ago based on Iggy's advice, and they have been great for skiing local trails and going up to High Point.

I have the BC65s as well. Agree that they're great all around skis for hitting up rail trails, hacking through the woods, groomed trails etc.

I've sort of narrowed down my selection to a metal edge ski like the Rossi BC65, Fischer Outback 68, and the Alpina Discovery 68.
Anyone of those skis are good for local exploring. If you go to a groomed center you do have the option of renting a lighter set up more suited for in track skiing.

Watch how to videos on classic xc skiing. Understanding the basics is important, however making first tracks is like snowshoeing. Once a trail is beaten in, technique becomes more important for glide and efficiency.

Let us know what you get.

Was able to use my new skis today. Skis did great, conditions were probably not optimal but they glided smooth and fast. I did take a tumble on my first downhill and still need to watch a video on climbing, but it was really fun. Felt kind of similar to ice skating or roller skating, where everything is good then all of a sudden things go sideways.

Anyone get out there? Looks like trails are groomed at Minnewaska and, I think, High Point. I was thinking of going to one or the other on Friday.

Anyone get out there? Looks like trails are groomed at Minnewaska and, I think, High Point. I was thinking of going to one or the other on Friday.
Minnewaska is groomed and in good shape.

High Point is hit or miss, I've had more misses when it comes to their grooming. I'd rather drive up to Minnewaska, their
daily trail reports are reliable.

I skate skied Minnewaska Friday and Saturday.
Scuse me while I kiss the sky.
20220122_132252.jpg
FB_IMG_1642705297758.jpg

Anybody know of any trails set anywhere near Motown? Golf course? I wouldn't mind going after work.

Yep I fattied Loantaka yesterday (see pic for depth). Lots of snow to be had. Paved sections are hard packed. But woods trails are plenty fluffy. If you want some wide open, deeper stuff, go across the street to Giralda. (Circled section in 2nd pic). You’d also get the benefit of some gentle downhill in the field.
49F1F7EF-5EFD-4CFA-9D50-7A6884752902.jpeg
98FE9958-1F59-4412-91F3-4AF0D191BBCD.jpeg

Nothing groomed, but Loantaka and Patriot's path are probably ok for XC ski'ing.

Yep I fattied Loantaka yesterday (see pic for depth). Lots of snow to be had. Paved sections are hard packed. But woods trails are plenty fluffy. If you want some wide open, deeper stuff, go across the street to Giralda. (Circled section in 2nd pic). You’d also get the benefit of some gentle downhill in the field.
View attachment 177611
View attachment 177613
Thank you, I will head there tonight, won’t be 10 miles, but it will be something.

Great conditions at Thompson Park. Its fun to go out with others and enjoy the snow while it's here.

I tried some new classic skin skis I bought at the end of last season.

I always preferred skate skiing at groomed centers over classic. Now that I have a performance oriented pair of skis for in track, I see more appeal in classic. Fast=Fun

SalomonRc8Skin_218.jpg

Wax. Your. Skis.

So you bought waxless skis, you never have to wax.
False.

The term "waxless" refers to not having to mess with grip wax for traction.

Before waxless skis, xc skiers had to apply a temperature specific wax in the grip zone to allow their skis to grip the snow and push off. This was somewhat tricky to get right, and thus the advent of waxless skis with a fishscale pattern or skin on the grip zone.

In order for optimum glide you need to apply wax to the ski. If you do not, the ski will not glide as well. What is worse is that in certain conditions the ski with no wax will clump up with snow, acting like a brake on the bottom of the ski.

We have precious few days of skiable snow in NJ. Be ready to go when we get it. Make sure your gear is in good order, which includes fresh wax.

If you know how to Hot wax, do so. If you don't know how to and don't care then at the very least apply F4 wax to your skis.

Follow directions to apply, go a little lighter over fish scales. Too much and the fish scales will not grip.

Wet snow and cold Temps are perfect for sticky snow. Even with waxing, snow may stick, however it is easier to remove with sliding the skis back and forth on the ground.

When you see bare ground in a patch like this, it's usually an indication of sticky snow. The ground is warm, the snow is wet and the air is cold. Make sure u wax.
20220213_130221.jpg

Wax. Your. Skis.

So you bought waxless skis, you never have to wax.
False.

The term "waxless" refers to not having to mess with grip wax for traction.

Before waxless skis, xc skiers had to apply a temperature specific wax in the grip zone to allow their skis to grip the snow and push off. This was somewhat tricky to get right, and thus the advent of waxless skis with a fishscale pattern or skin on the grip zone.

In order for optimum glide you need to apply wax to the ski. If you do not, the ski will not glide as well. What is worse is that in certain conditions the ski with no wax will clump up with snow, acting like a brake on the bottom of the ski.

We have precious few days of skiable snow in NJ. Be ready to go when we get it. Make sure your gear is in good order, which includes fresh wax.

If you know how to Hot wax, do so. If you don't know how to and don't care then at the very least apply F4 wax to your skis.

Follow directions to apply, go a little lighter over fish scales. Too much and the fish scales will not grip.

Wet snow and cold Temps are perfect for sticky snow. Even with waxing, snow may stick, however it is easier to remove with sliding the skis back and forth on the ground.

When you see bare ground in a patch like this, it's usually an indication of sticky snow. The ground is warm, the snow is wet and the air is cold. Make sure u wax.
View attachment 178811
A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT

Back
Top Bottom