2020-2021 XC SKI

I stayed local after shoveling, too tired to venture anywhere.
There is a park near the end of my street, I did a loop in there.

I found mostly packed snow by skiing on the plowed snow near the road, it has moisture content from the road melt and then sets up firm. Also some sections were beaten down by walkers.

IMG_20210202_152535.jpg
IMG_20210202_155503.jpg

Thursday's snow conditions were the best I've skied on in awhile. Overnight temps were cold enough to freeze the snow into a hard pack, by around 9:30 the top inch softened up enough from sun and temps above 32 degrees, which made a perfect groomed snow for skiing. Firm base with a soft top allowing a ski to track yet push off.

I was able to skate ski the golf course at work, which is a treat, not having to seek out groomed snow. Unfortunately I cracked my carbon ski pole when I went down, the snow was fast and I hit a rut and landed on my pole. The next half hour I skied without poles, which is better then nothing and is actually a good drill.

I was upset about my ski pole and did order another set, sadly you can't buy just one pole, at least I'll have a spare when I crack the next one.

After work I met up with Mitch and Goz again. Despite some aches and pains from the previous day the guys did great, if not better. The more time you spend on skis, the better you get. If you don't have a skiing background, being comfortable on skis does not come easy, however the more you do, the more comfortable you get.

It was easy to have fun yesterday, the weather was beautiful and the snow was good. No matter the sport, mtbing or xc skiing, it's always about fun. If you're not having fun, you won't want to come back. I think these guys are hooked. We'll be out again next week, meet up with us, post up, message up if you're interested in joining us.

Shout out to Denise, who we met at the start. Hey Bernie.
IMG_20210204_150700.jpg
IMG_20210204_163351.jpg
IMG_20210204_162707.jpg

Got out for an hour on the Morris County Greenway which is a quick walk from my house. I was thinking that someone would have been out since the big snowfall, but there was only some foot traffic for the first mile or so and then no tracks at all. Hard work skiing in mushy, deep snow when it's 45 degrees out. I was down to a T-shirt and still sweating like crazy. Barely covered any ground but got in a pretty solid 1 hour effort when I would have otherwise been sitting at a computer, so that's a win.

Debating hitting up High Point first thing Sat or Sun morning, but not sure I want to battle the crowds.

Saturday I drove up to High Point and met Paul and @ebarker9. We got there at 10 and the parking lot was almost full (both lots). By 10:30 the ranger was not letting anyone else in until a car left.

Usually if one lot gets half full it was considered busy, now people are waiting to get in. Unbelievable.

Hopefully the zeal for outdoor winter fun doesn't wane. It certainly is a splendid way to spend the day.

The three of us did a loop on our classic skis and let the snow soften a bit, making for a better skate ski session.

We practiced skate skiing with Eric on the frozen lake. Paul was really good at breaking down the V1 technique and working with Eric on timing, he looked a lot better after about 45 minutes, then we headed out to the trails.

The trails were is poor shape, it looked like they hadn't been groomed in days and conditions were very inconsistent. We made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves anyway.

I'll be at Thompson Park this week with Mitch and Goz at 3pm if anyone wants to join the Classic train.
Thompson Park

IMG_20210206_110434.jpg

Saturday I drove up to High Point and met Paul and @ebarker9. We got there at 10 and the parking lot was almost full (both lots). By 10:30 the ranger was not letting anyone else in until a car left.

Usually if one lot gets half full it was considered busy, now people are waiting to get in. Unbelievable.

Hopefully the zeal for outdoor winter fun doesn't wane. It certainly is a splendid way to spend the day.

The three of us did a loop on our classic skis and let the snow soften a bit, making for a better skate ski session.

We practiced skate skiing with Eric on the frozen lake. Paul was really good at breaking down the V1 technique and working with Eric on timing, he looked a lot better after about 45 minutes, then we headed out to the trails.

The trails were is poor shape, it looked like they hadn't been groomed in days and conditions were very inconsistent. We made the best of it and enjoyed ourselves anyway.

Thanks for letting me tag along. You guys are definitely on a different level but it was great to have some people to chase. And the V1 lessons were extremely helpful. Hope to do it again at some point, preferably on some better groomed trails.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Read on. A few of us showed at Thompson Park today to partake in the freshly groomed trails. Weather was perfect as well.
Igggy, Goz , Denise and Rick were flying today. Scenery was spectacular as well.20210208_152237.jpg20210208_152333.jpg20210208_195009.jpg20210208_195430.jpg20210208_164413.jpg20210208_164226.jpg20210208_162903.jpg20210208_152152.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Morristown. I’m hoping to go somewhere close. Has anyone been to any of the golf courses or does anybody know where some good tracks have been set around Morristown??? Thanks.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Read on. A few of us showed at Thompson Park today to partake in the freshly groomed trails. Weather was perfect as well.
Igggy, Goz , Denise and Rick were flying today. Scenery was spectacular as well.View attachment 151400View attachment 151401View attachment 151402View attachment 151403View attachment 151404View attachment 151405View attachment 151406View attachment 151407
Do any of you guys know where the might be tracks like that near Motown?

Back
Top Bottom