2019 Hartshorne / Huber trail maintenance dates

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Heres the rest of the dates if you are interested
Screenshot_20190403-173016_Gallery.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Bob, do you know who is putting all the roque trail signs up and blocking the trails off? If it’s the trail maintenance team shame on them because they have not been doing any trimming or maintaining but spend hours blocking off these teails. Truthfully, people probably made them because they neglected the normal trails so poorly.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Bob, do you know who is putting all the roque trail signs up and blocking the trails off?

Probably the rangers

Truthfully, people probably made them because they neglected the normal trails so poorly.

Yes, you are probably correct on this issue. This topic is like beating a dead horse.

TimBay

Bob, do you know who is putting all the roque trail signs up and blocking the trails off? If it’s the trail maintenance team shame on them because they have not been doing any trimming or maintaining but spend hours blocking off these teails. Truthfully, people probably made them because they neglected the normal trails so poorly.
Probably a bit of both (park management and volunteer teams). We have to understand though that, rogue trails can pose a liability issue to the county, which make them a top priority for park management. A lot of us here are working to create a better relationship between our community and the park system, which will hopefully help with maintenance, sustainability, and maybe even better trails. The rogue trails issue doesn't help this.

That said, who all saw that new flowy switchback section at JORBA Fest and thought "I bet this could be done at Hartshorne?" We have to show our support in order to make our voices heard. So please come to trail maintenance sessions. The more people that show up and show interest, the more sessions there will be. The more general maintenance we can clear out, the more preventative measures we can put in place. And the more presence we have with the park system, the greater voice we can present to eventually take on efforts like what we see in other parks. Being positive and supportive is the key.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Probably a bit of both (park management and volunteer teams). We have to understand though that, rogue trails can pose a liability issue to the county, which make them a top priority for park management. A lot of us here are working to create a better relationship between our community and the park system, which will hopefully help with maintenance, sustainability, and maybe even better trails. The rogue trails issue doesn't help this.

That said, who all saw that new flowy switchback section at JORBA Fest and thought "I bet this could be done at Hartshorne?" We have to show our support in order to make our voices heard. So please come to trail maintenance sessions. The more people that show up and show interest, the more sessions there will be. The more general maintenance we can clear out, the more preventative measures we can put in place. And the more presence we have with the park system, the greater voice we can present to eventually take on efforts like what we see in other parks. Being positive and supportive is the key.
Show me where any previous work has been done and I will show. Have you climbed up climb behind hartshorne toad or the water tower recently? How about going through jurassic park? The couple TMs I did resulted in 2 water bars that did nothing and sone removed branches.

Reactions: don

TimBay

Show me where any previous work has been done and I will show. Have you climbed up climb behind hartshorne toad or the water tower recently? How about going through jurassic park? The couple TMs I did resulted in 2 water bars that did nothing and sone removed branches.
We can't think about previous, but look to the future. It's not going to happen on session 1 either. We all need to show that we're going to show up. If there's 20 riders there voicing what they think is most important, it will make a much larger voice than just 1 or 2 people. The park took a huge beating this year. I've only been riding for 1 year, but I've been hiking there for 5 and I've never seen it change as much as this season. To me, that means we're looking at an opportunity. We might need to support the parks efforts for a couple session to just prove that we're going to show up, but from there we can increase our influence.

To sum up: I'm hoping we can go with the strength in numbers approach. We need everyone there! I want them to see that riders actually WANT to make it a better park, not just talk about it. Let's take this park back and bring it to it's full potential!

SmooveP

Actually, everything that's good about the trail system is the result of the work of the park people and the volunteers. As I've pointed out many times, 90% of the trails are actually pretty solid and the park is pretty much free of trash and dumped junk. Before your time maybe, but the entire Rocky Point sections was built by volunteers, and a number of badly eroded trails were successfully closed down (Three Hills, Powerline, etc.). More recently, the volunteers fixed the mudhole by the bridge on Rocky Point and the Park removed all of the fallen trees across the trails. You may not be happy with the speed at which things get done, but it's kind of insulting to the people who do show up for TM.

From the Park System's viewpoint, we mountain bikers are not exactly model citizens. Mountain bikers are the ones building rogue trails and removing signs, fences and other trail blockages when the park tries to close down the rogue trails and some of us are not super mindful in our interactions with other trail users. We also haven't been showing up for TM sessions (or TM training, even when they scheduled an extra session at our request). Given those facts, we're not negotiating from a position of strength and we have no standing to make any demands. At this point, I think we should be humble, show up and try to rebuild our image (and hopefully the trails).

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Actually, everything that's good about the trail system is the result of the work of the park people and the volunteers. As I've pointed out many times, 90% of the trails are actually pretty solid and the park is pretty much free of trash and dumped junk. Before your time maybe, but the entire Rocky Point sections was built by volunteers, and a number of badly eroded trails were successfully closed down (Three Hills, Powerline, etc.). More recently, the volunteers fixed the mudhole by the bridge on Rocky Point and the Park removed all of the fallen trees across the trails. You may not be happy with the speed at which things get done, but it's kind of insulting to the people who do show up for TM.

From the Park System's viewpoint, we mountain bikers are not exactly model citizens. Mountain bikers are the ones building rogue trails and removing signs, fences and other trail blockages when the park tries to close down the rogue trails and some of us are not super mindful in our interactions with other trail users. We also haven't been showing up for TM sessions (or TM training, even when they scheduled an extra session at our request). Given those facts, we're not negotiating from a position of strength and we have no standing to make any demands. At this point, I think we should be humble, show up and try to rebuild our image (and hopefully the trails).
Last I time I emailed Tracy she was interested in a Jorba contact. Those trails are too much for them to maintain and the TM people are mostly hikers. You’re right in that we need to contribute more. I didn’t learn anything more than how to drain a trail or remove debris at the class. I think the real answer is to try and get Jorba involved. Allaire is a prime example.

Also, not meaning to insult the volunteers but in general the park commission is very misguided as to what needs to be done. Example is the dangerous water bars they put at the top of the staircase heading down to the buttermilk lot.

TimBay

Last I time I emailed Tracy she was interested in a Jorba contact. Those trails are too much for them to maintain and the TM people are mostly hikers. You’re right in that we need to contribute more. I didn’t learn anything more than how to drain a trail or remove debris at the class. I think the real answer is to try and get Jorba involved. Allaire is a prime example.

Also, not meaning to insult the volunteers but in general the park commission is very misguided as to what needs to be done. Example is the dangerous water bars they put at the top of the staircase heading down to the buttermilk lot.
I think getting JORBA back into the park can be an eventual goal. Right now we just want to show them that we care and will show up. Better our image as Pat said and build a solid presence. This Saturday is an opportunity to prove our commitment with action. We're going to have a hard time making any arguments or input if only 5 of us show up when it's time to do the work. I hope you can make it.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

I think getting JORBA back into the park can be an eventual goal. Right now we just want to show them that we care and will show up. Better our image as Pat said and build a solid presence. This Saturday is an opportunity to prove our commitment with action. We're going to have a hard time making any arguments or input if only 5 of us show up when it's time to do the work. I hope you can make it.
I am working in the am and racing hippo in the afternoon.

SmooveP

Please email Tracy if you're planning to attend. The size of the projects we tackle will be determined in part by how big a group is scheduled to show up.
Here's her email: Tracy.Shiffman@co.monmouth.nj.us
Reminder: You can only participate in TM if you've taken the training class.

wonderturtle

Just got email stating this...

The meeting location for Saturday, October 5th,9am, has been changed to 254 Hartshorne Road, Locust. This is the Hartshorne Woods ParkMaintenance Area.....

I just spoke with Scott Major, Senior Park Manager. Our project will include installing split-rail fencing, addressing a muddy section on the Claypit Creek connector, trimming back a few key sections, and working on improving the tread wherever possible. Please note – in most cases, we will be walking quite a distance on the trails to access the work areas.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Nov 16th is this sat. I want no comments about water bars. It's like beating a dead horse.

Hello Trails Team!

We are looking forward to our next trail maintenance session this Saturday, November 16th from 9am-12pm at Hartshorne Woods Park. Please meet us at the Buttermilk Parking lot. We will be working on cleaning out/replacing water bars; trimming back; possibly another fencing project.

If you plan on joining us, please let me know so we can plan accordingly. Please dress for the weather; bring extra layers (H40; windy).

Tracy.Shiffman@co.monmouth.nj.us

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions