2020 garden thread

Captain Brainstorm

The water and drainage aren't really the issue, its the deer. Things would be much easier if I didn't have to lay my garden out like a super-max prison, or silencer/suppressors were legal in NJ.

pkovo

Wow, you got some property behind there. Any changes to last year?

Hey I missed this. Most of that property is the High Bridge Public golf course.

My wife and daughters do all the planting and make all the decisions. I'm the grunt that builds boxes and moves dirt....and eats the produce.

I know they are not doing kale this year, and they moved the tomato plants location, but otherwise pretty much same as always. I bought a compost bin, so we will now be composting, but that will probably take a while.

qclabrat

Hey I missed this. Most of that property is the High Bridge Public golf course.

My wife and daughters do all the planting and make all the decisions. I'm the grunt that builds boxes and moves dirt....and eats the produce.

I know they are not doing kale this year, and they moved the tomato plants location, but otherwise pretty much same as always. I bought a compost bin, so we will now be composting, but that will probably take a while.
I'd love to grow kale and collards but they get infested with bug holes long before a harvest. Actually are caterpillars of some type. For compost buy some bacteria to promote growth.

Captain Brainstorm

with really good aim, you can drop them on impact....brain shot

Headshots are unethical. Target size is small, and it’s the part of the animal that moves the most. Heart/lung area is 3 times the size and harder to miss, quick and clean kill. If you miss a headshot, you can end up maiming the animal. But we’re brainstorming here, so keep the ideas coming. All the deer in my neighborhood ultimately end up as vulture food on 202 or 287, but not before spawning the next generation of garden eaters.

rick81721

Lothar
Headshots are unethical. Target size is small, and it’s the part of the animal that moves the most. Heart/lung area is 3 times the size and harder to miss, quick and clean kill. If you miss a headshot, you can end up maiming the animal. But we’re brainstorming here, so keep the ideas coming. All the deer in my neighborhood ultimately end up as vulture food on 202 or 287, but not before spawning the next generation of garden eaters.

1_177_86478_600_463.jpg

RobW

Ugh, that smell of a rotting carcass is legit not worth the shot... so, what we used to do was put fishing line around the perimeter of our yard at the tree line. They can’t see it so they get spooked. Either that or get a dog and keep him outside which is inhumane also. There is the marigold approach as well.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
marigold approach doesnt work, my wife lost her entire garden to the deer 2 years ago even tho she had marigolds planted amongst the plants.

qclabrat

The water and drainage aren't really the issue, its the deer. Things would be much easier if I didn't have to lay my garden out like a super-max prison, or silencer/suppressors were legal in NJ.
That's how I built mine and it's also rabbit and ground hog proof. Only can't stop the birds and vermin aka chipmunks

qclabrat

marigold approach doesnt work, my wife lost her entire garden to the deer 2 years ago even tho she had marigolds planted amongst the plants.
Marigolds are supposed to discourage rabbits, they really don't work. Don't want bunnies, introduce foxes. Don't want groundhogs, introduce coyotes.

Fences are the only way to stop deer. I suggest a good fence if you dont want to fix it every spring. Tried half a dozen other options and it really doesn't work. We fenced a portion of the back yard last year after our dog got lyme disease. The plants and trees inside are coming in so much nicer so far. Should have done it on day one. I no longer need to look for deer resistant plants.

Last edited:

pkovo

Wow, you like you some lettuce

Yeah we run through quite a bit of it. One of my daughters may actually be a rabbit....75% of her diet seems to be Raw lettuce, spinach and carrots.

Now the Zuchini plants are having an incredible growth spurt.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah we run through quite a bit of it. One of my daughters may actually be a rabbit....75% of her diet seems to be Raw lettuce, spinach and carrots.

Now the Zuchini plants are having an incredible growth spurt.
Do you have any issues with vine borers with your zucchini? I seem to get them every year.

Robin

With all the rain and my schedule, my garden is pretty much done. Oh well. Support your local farmers.

Top Bottom