2020 garden thread

Dajerseyrat

I used to give hot sauce to co-workers.
One of them learned this lesson the hard way.

And yeah, don't touch your face or your eyes either.
I learned this after being pepper sprayed in the academy. Even hours after it wears off, when you shower the water re activates any of it left on your head and eyebrows...

Roadie

You don't need to fence your fig tree in, the deer won't eat them. They don't like the latex in the leaves. And you should unwrap them when it stops consistently dropping below high-20's. A freeze every now and then won't hurt them, night-time temps this time of year won't hurt the roots, especially if they are cold-hardy like Chicago figs. Its better to unwrap them with all of this wet weather otherwise you run the risk of mold, which will kill them. And once they start growing, gently rip-off a shoot and clone it, its good to grow one as an in-door tree as a fail-safe.
Lol, my wife and Mrs #fidodie were propagating fig trees like crazy a few years ago. I think we got it down to 5 or 6 now. (not including the ones in the ground). Just starting to get the garage back.

We actually had deer munch the fig trees when they are hungry enough. The biggest pests are the squirrels though. They worst part is that they take a bite and then drop the fig on the ground. I wish they would atleast eat the whole thing

Last edited:

Captain Brainstorm

Lol, my wife and Mrs #fidodie were propagating fig trees like crazy a few years ago. I think we got it down to 5 or 6 now. (not including the ones in the ground). Just starting to get the garage back.

We actually had deer munch the fig trees when they are hungry enough. The biggest pests are the squirrels though. They worst part is that they take a bite and then drop the fig on the ground. I wish they would atleast eat the whole thing

The deer avoid my trees like the plague. I've occasionally had a squirrel take a tiny rat-bite out of a fig, but they'd much rather decimate my peaches before they're ripe. A Gamo .22 caliber pellet gun, scope, and a recessed and concealed position inside of my house, sighting through a cracked open window, has taken care of that problem though.

Robin

Headed over to my garden plot for the first time this year.

IMG_20190418_085556.jpg

Spent some quality time pulling weeds and grass as well as turning over soil.

IMG_20190418_105221_782.jpg

Next up is getting some fresh organics mixed in then mapping out what I am planting.

qclabrat

my plots are still too wet, I'm hoping to put some down this weekend.
Some lettuce I had ended up rotting from the swamp of a garden which I've never had to deal with before
@ekuhn did you grow the 250s in years prior? I grew them the last two year but will probably skip them this year

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some lettuce I had ended up rotting from the swamp of a garden which I've never had to deal with before
@ekuhn did you grow the 250s in years prior? I grew them the last two year but will probably skip them this year

youll probably grow some anyway, very close to where the plants were last year . . .

qclabrat

youll probably grow some anyway, very close to where the plants were last year . . .
you're right, last year was end of May and we had a wet growing season as well
I really like Krims and Cherokees, so will have at least 2 of each. @stb222 had a good yield last year. Hoping for him to share some tips for managing the alternating floods and droughts of last year
1558026167891.png

1558026214334.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you're right, last year was end of May and we had a wet growing season as well
I really like Krims and Cherokees, so will have at least 2 of each. @stb222 had a good yield last year. Hoping for him to share some tips for managing the alternating floods and droughts of last year
View attachment 95478

View attachment 95479
I just planted the remainder of my garden last night. I planted a few things last week and one of my basil plants died because it was too wet, meh. I have one Black Krim, one Black Cherry and my other tomatoes are Rutgers, Early Girl, Big Boy (maybe better boy? not sure), Cherry, Plum and one or two other types. I also did brussel sprouts, zucs, (although I always get those bore worms), cucs, eggplant and some sweet peppers. I have a few more spots so looking for something else. Actually, need to get some asian eggplants but have not seen them yet.

ekuhn

I had some 250's last year and they turned out OK, minus some tomato blossom end rot across all my plants due to which I found out later was due to a calcium deficiency. I also think they were slightly dwarfed by too close of spacing when planted - mostly due to the fact I am using garden boxes to get my plants in maximum sunlight.

Top Bottom