2019-2020 XC Ski

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This being a website about mountain biking information, it's understandable that 3 people are interested in xc skiing but nonetheless, I post about it and pass information on. XC skiing, like Voodoo is often misunderstood, we tend to have stereotypical images of both but in reality there is more to it.

IMG_20191204_125739.jpg

XC is a calling, I can recall seeing some college kids skate skiing in a pace line at Grafton VT about 10 yrs ago, it was beautiful to see in person. I became a student of skate skiing soon thereafter, eager to learn, get better and keep learning. I'm a competitive person who goes all in physically, so naturally I take skiing to the level I take mtbing, granted I'm a better mtber then skier but I've been mtbing longer and don't live in VT. I did a race last year and plan to do two this year, if upstate where closer I'd do more.

I'm still a student of XC skiing, I like to think that every year I learn more and perfect my technique however I do have to confirm with my buddy Paul what V1, V2 and V2 alternate are at the start of each season. Also, listening to Saul is also a good refresher, I think he could have a future in stand up comedy.

Post up your xc ski adventures, questions, gear, voodoo...
Listen to Saul.

ebarker9

Given the recent weather it's not looking promising for any adventure reports so figured I'll keep things rolling with some technique and equipment discussion.

Suggested topics:

-Skate ski V1, V2, V2 alternate technique. Any good resources? From what I've seen, my fumbling attempts were similar to the V1 technique but I'm not that clear on the differences.
-Classic skin skis. Sounds interesting. Anyone have experience on these?
-Skate ski equipment. Any major differences here? Doesn't seem like there's the same breadth of options that exists within the classic ski category.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I'm for sure interested in this.

I bought my own equipment a few years ago, but have only managed to get out on it maybe half a dozen times locally. I'm a raw beginner, technique-wise.

Perhaps this winter, I'll give more consideration to a High Point or New Paltz trip when opportunity arises.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Given the recent weather it's not looking promising for any adventure reports so figured I'll keep things rolling with some technique and equipment discussion.

Suggested topics:

-Skate ski V1, V2, V2 alternate technique. Any good resources? From what I've seen, my fumbling attempts were similar to the V1 technique but I'm not that clear on the differences.
-Classic skin skis. Sounds interesting. Anyone have experience on these?
-Skate ski equipment. Any major differences here? Doesn't seem like there's the same breadth of options that exists within the classic ski category.
V1, V2, and V2 Alternate are essentially different gears, like on a bike, which are techniques for different terrain as well as racing.

V1 is the basic skate one learns first and is employed for cruising. It's the easiest to learn because you are using your poles with your kick, which makes it easier to stay balanced. It's important to land flat on your ski when you glide, this keeps you balanced.

V2 is the equivalent of a sprint gear, it requires more balance, using your poles first and then skating. Pole skate, pole skate.

V2 alternate is like riding tempo, you're pushing a pace but not sprinting.

This is a lot to learn at once. Focusing on V1 for a season is less overwhelming. Unless you spend a lot of time at a groomed xc ski center, the muscle memory to get different techniques down takes some time to learn.

There are major differences with skate skis. Cold skis, warm skis, hard skis, medium skis...To start out, I'd recommend an intermediate level ski, like Fischer SC or SCS.

ebarker9

Yeah of course there are a bunch of varieties of skate skis. No activity like this is ever simple. Sounds like high point does rent skate skis so I'll definitely give that a go once the conditions improve. And then if I do purchase, the SCS skis sound like what I'd likely want along with the RCS boots. Half the fun of these sports is usually nerding out on the tech.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah of course there are a bunch of varieties of skate skis. No activity like this is ever simple. Sounds like high point does rent skate skis so I'll definitely give that a go once the conditions improve. And then if I do purchase, the SCS skis sound like what I'd likely want along with the RCS boots. Half the fun of these sports is usually nerding out on the tech.
Rock and Snow in New Paltz also rents xc skis, and there are usually better conditions and more snow at Mohonk and Minnewaska, which is 15 minutes from the center of town.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been downhill skiing too long that I can't get used to my heel coming up. The first time I tried cross country, I busted by ass so many times just falling forward, especially and the small downhills on a loop in Lake Placid. Can't discount it 100% as the rental boots were super worn in and soft. Skate skiing sounds more like something I'd do over classic.

ebarker9

Rock and Snow in New Paltz also rents xc skis, and there are usually better conditions and more snow at Mohonk and Minnewaska, which is 15 minutes from the center of town.

Thanks. Rented for my wife there last weekend but they don't rent skate skis (at least that's what they were telling another customer while we were there).

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
To start out, I'd recommend an intermediate level ski, like Fischer SC or SCS.

I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but will my NNN BC boots work with skate skis, or do I need new boots too?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but will my NNN BC boots work with skate skis, or do I need new boots too?
I don't think so but you can check with rental shop. Also bc boots are heavier and clunkier, not what you want with a skate set up.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I've been downhill skiing too long that I can't get used to my heel coming up. The first time I tried cross country, I busted by ass so many times just falling forward, especially and the small downhills on a loop in Lake Placid. Can't discount it 100% as the rental boots were super worn in and soft. Skate skiing sounds more like something I'd do over classic.

My experience, exactly. 45 years of DH skiing muscle memory is hard to ignore even using NNN BC setup.

ebarker9

Some generally ok comments on the Shawgunk ski association page about conditions. Anyone venture up to Minnewaska recently?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some generally ok comments on the Shawgunk ski association page about conditions. Anyone venture up to Minnewaska recently?
I haven't been up, conditions aren't good enough for me to travel.

My new skis have come in, My buddy Paul and I ordered new skate skis. I've been waxing new skis and thinking about heading further north in search of good snow. Time will tell.
IMG_20191218_221850.jpgIMG_20191220_123948.jpg

Top Bottom