2019-20 ski / snow board season

olegbabich

Arapahoe Basin and Keystone in Colorado have been open for almost a week and I still have not sharpen or waxed the skis. (feel shame)

I have not seen any East Coast resorts opening dates.

The Wooly Bear Caterpillar told me we will have a mild winter.

Please say a prayer to Snow Gods for a couple of good days on the slopes. :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In.

My OnTheSnow app says Killington opens in 4 days and has a 24” base.

Here are the 4 soonest expected opening dates of the resorts on my list:

C9B8A32D-613C-481E-900C-1E3086313EB0.jpeg

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Arapahoe Basin and Keystone in Colorado have been open for almost a week and I still have not sharpen or waxed the skis. (feel shame)

I have not seen any East Coast resorts opening dates.

The Wooly Bear Caterpillar told me we will have a mild winter.

Please say a prayer to Snow Gods for a couple of good days on the slopes. :)
I dont like your Caterpillar! But I did find this funny https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019...th-a-basin-opening-day-poach-of-vail-resorts/

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought new boots....got my son his yearly rentals...this will be season 19 on my solomon 1080s...maybe ill upgrade one day.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I bought new boots....got my son his yearly rentals...this will be season 19 on my solomon 1080s...maybe ill upgrade one day.
You adjust your bindings for BSL or ski shop? If it was a shop, kinda surprised they didnt give you the old "oh these bindings are too old"

JDurk

Got on my board 1 day last winter at Elk, first time using it since '12-'13 I think. Boots fell apart on the mountain and I came home and bought a new pair and new goggles. Hope to get out more this year.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You adjust your bindings for BSL or ski shop? If it was a shop, kinda surprised they didnt give you the old "oh these bindings are too old"
i have always done it myself, but ya, im sure they would tell me my skis are unsafe and a danger to people and animals, etc. I would like to get new ones, but i keep spending all my money on bikes....plus if I go anywhere that has powder, I just rent

olegbabich

I do not know what is going on with the caterpillars. I have not seen many this year.

Maybe because I'm like a Velo Vampire, I always bike in the dark, either before work or after work.

I saw one last week in my driveway and it was not very fuzzy.

Today I got out on the Road Bike during day hrs and I saw 1 very fuzzy and 1 with a medium coat.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And in other, conflicting, news....

Conflicting what? I've been hearing claims of a snowy winter ahead for close to a month now..... not that it means anything until it happens, just drives page views for the sites making said claims (either direction)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
a fuzzy caterpillar???!??!?!??

i mean, i guess he cant do any worse than the 'real' weathermen . . . .:cool:

Zaskar

a fuzzy caterpillar???!??!?!??

So How Did Caterpillars Became Associated With Weather Forecasting?
How did the woolly bear caterpillar become a winter weather forecaster? These caterpillars and their ability to predict winter weather have been part of American folklore since the colonial era but were popularized by entomologist Dr. Howard C. Curran, curator of insects at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, when he decided to put it to the test. In 1948, Curran headed to Bear Mountain, New York, to study the caterpillars and found that over half of his test subjects had wide orange bands, meaning the upcoming winter would be milder-than-average. And it was. He relayed his findings to a reporter and the story was published in the New York Herald Tribune.

Dr. Curran continued his study for eight more years but was never able to fully conclude whether the woolly bear was a reliable prognosticator. But the folklore continues to this day.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wool...fi5IdluM5mkWhoDuSqU4AwrmyjtNszzL3ZZhzM4GhnPjE

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So as this season begins, im reminded that im now entering season number 19...NINETEEN on my beloved Solomon 1080's...Vincent Dorian editions (is he still alive?...cant confirm via the google) Anyway, what are some you skiing now for around here? I like my 1080s as I can just just about whatever with them...I dont ever bring they out west, but for playing around here, they are entertaining. Whats everyone using now for skiing on the east coast?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
19 years here too
Volkl Carver's
New boots that need forming because they were brutal. Funny you go from fitting and walking around at shop and everything good. Then put them out on the slope 2hrs in, in complete suffering pain.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
19 years here too
Volkl Carver's
New boots that need forming because they were brutal. Funny you go from fitting and walking around at shop and everything good. Then put them out on the slope 2hrs in, in complete suffering pain.
yes, this exactly. I finally bought new boots 2 seasons ago...had them opened up 4-5 different times, custom footbeds, etc...in the end they were the wrong size. So I have another new pair for this year. Hopefully less painful.

Top Bottom