2018 NJ Rando series

qclabrat

Between Jim's escapades and this thread, I'm starting to contemplate getting a handlebar bag for my road bike and stretching out the rides.
Definitely in the market and think that's not where you want to save coin.
Glad to have something to use, but it was bouncing around lots and zippers were hard to access while riding.

qclabrat

Nice work finishing the ride up, looks like you had some stuff to contend with! This was my first one too. I would have been screwed if I was alone the whole time cause in my newbness I didn't have a way to clip a cue sheet to the bars. Garmin is less useful than I expected it would be. You were better prepared than I was.
Did you notice how people kept track of where to turn? I missed about 20 turns and without a cell phone and the Garmin would have been lost badly. I couldn't find my 800 which has better turn prompts so used a 500 instead. For those who haven't seen the cue sheets it was about four pages long.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Between Jim's escapades and this thread, I'm starting to contemplate getting a handlebar bag for my road bike and stretching out the rides.

I happen to have a spare or 3. I used a Banjo Brothers bag for a couple rides to see if I liked it more than a top tube bag. I also have a pretty good assortment of saddle bags at this point. Join us.

grilledcheeseking

did go you off in time? what was your ride?
congrats also for the finish, doing the 300K?
I started same time as most everyone else, yes. Hung in with group til the first controle, where I took too long inside. Linked up with a couple guys from PA and NY around Keyport and stuck together for the rest of the route. Thanks! Definitely thinking about the 300k. I'll probably decide at the last minute like I did for this one.

grilledcheeseking

Did you notice how people kept track of where to turn? I missed about 20 turns and without a cell phone and the Garmin would have been lost badly. I couldn't find my 800 which has better turn prompts so used a 500 instead. For those who haven't seen the cue sheets it was about four pages long.
Turn prompts did not work on my 800, and for some reason I didn't see my normal 'cue sheet' screen available either. I was able to follow the line OK, and at each stop I checked my card and made a mental note of the cumulative mileage at the next stop. Will have a better system next time. Years ago before GPS I made a pretty nice little holder from a clamp and a binder clip. It's somewhere in my parts bin.

rick81721

Lothar
So related (sort of) - I'm following a fellow retired geezer from Venice FL who is embarking on an epic ride with another guy. They are riding from LA to Boston - 3400 mile trip in 48 days (43 riding days). Will be interesting to see how they fare - I think I have a long-distance ride similar to this in me as a bucket list item, but don't think I'd do something that long. Maybe FL to NJ? Who's in?

qclabrat

So related (sort of) - I'm following a fellow retired geezer from Venice FL who is embarking on an epic ride with another guy. They are riding from LA to Boston - 3400 mile trip in 48 days (43 riding days). Will be interesting to see how they fare - I think I have a long-distance ride similar to this in me as a bucket list item, but don't think I'd do something that long. Maybe FL to NJ? Who's in?
In, check back when I retire in 15 years
How about a few overnighters and long weekends first?

The Kalmyk

And it has a ton of climbing. Many of the Rando folk avoid hilly rides because they can't make the Control time limits.

It was my last ride with the group. Three lessons on this ride for me:

1) bring a helmet
2) if it’s going to rain, don’t wear a rain jacket in warm weather
3) The painted pedestrian walk ways can be fatal when wet.

Started an hour late and only caught one person on the sour lands late in the ride. Absolute worst cramping I have ever dealt with. I was on the side of the road on my knees cause I sweat everything out using a stupid rain jacket. The cherry on top: dislocated my shoulder in Rocky Hill just 3miles from the finish.

Good times and like Jim said, lots of hills.

rick81721

Lothar

Update on these 2 guys I'm following - they are doing a crossroads cycling adventures supported tour, meaning they just ride and a truck carries their gear to hotels. I know some guys like to rough it but F that - if/when I do a long ride this is the way to do it. There are 29 riders, with 4 only doing partial distances. They are off today - 3 days riding to cross Cali. One of the FL guys is a flatlander - all his riding is in south jersey or Florida - will be interesting to see how he does in the mountains.

Top Bottom