2017 NJ CX Cup Schedule

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
HELLOOOOOOOO CYCLOCROSS FRIENDS.

I have been thinking (v. dangerous, do not try at home) about the Fall and race schedules, especially since CXHairs mentioned the UCI schedule was up. Went and clicked around on some of the regional series sites (PACX, MABRA, Super 8). Saw that schedules seemed to be up for PACX and MABRA. I was thinking, "nah, no way NJBA has its act together enough to have a schedule up yet". Sure enough, I go to the calendar page (not the CX Cup page) and CROSS IS ON THE CALENDAR.

Maybe this is not new (probable). Maybe you all know already because I'm poorly connected within the NJ cycling community and am a generally annoying human being who is to be avoided (highly likely). I won't foam at the mouth too much since it's still May, and will keep myself on a short leash, but a few questions that peoples might be able to answer for me:

1. Does anyone know much about Bridgeton Cross(9/23) or Apple Cross(11/4)?

2. Thoughts on HPCX and Bubble being the only NJ double weekends? I kind of like that.

3. Marty Cross is our only Sunday race. Did they not want to conform to the "all Saturday" schedule? Or are they just keeping with tradition?

4. Does this mean SCCX is toast? For real?

5. On a scale of 1 - Mount Rushmore, how set in stone is this probably?

I'm just excited to fight off this head cold or whatever and set an unattainable goal for myself to not train for this summer. Thanks in advance for not tolerating me. Carry on.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
tenor.gif

hotsauce

Glad I'm not the one starting the CX discussion early! It's never too early to start talking about CX though.

The NJCX dates have been on their calendar for a while. They have never provide details other than name and date. Look to BikeReg for more info, stuff is starting to pop up and a few area races even have open registration.

Your best resource for planning at this point is @keithgarrison's spreadsheet. It has everything within a few hour drive of NYC.

I wouldn't limit your racing to just the NJCX schedule. The MAC and some of the PA races have big fields, are tons of fun, and aren't that far away. The greater Allentown, PA area has just as many races as NJ as a whole and isn't far away. Town Hall in Bethlehem, PA was a favorite of mine last year.

Last edited:

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
I knew if I didn't get this kind of a response out of you, that I was doing it wrong. I chalk this up as a win in my book.

Glad I'm not the one starting the CX discussion early! It's never too early to start talking about CX though.

The NJCX dates have been on their calendar for a while. They have never provide details other than name and date. Look to BikeReg for more info, stuff is starting to pop up and a few area races even have open registration.

Your best resource for planning at this point is Keith Garrison's spreadsheet. It has everything within a few hour drive of NYC.

I wouldn't limit your racing to just the NJCX schedule. The MAC and some of the PA races have big fields, are tons of fun, and aren't that far away. The greater Allentown, PA area has just as many races as NJ as a whole and isn't far away. Town Hall in Bethlehem, PA was a favorite of mine last year.
I wanted to try to do a mix. We have a wedding to go to in October, I forgot what the date is and have to ask my buddy again this week, but that will determine if/when we travel to anything. I wanted to try either Charm City or DCCX (driven by wedding date). I also had Sly Fox (BEEEEEER) and Nittany penciled into my schedule.

What's a good number of races to aim for in my first actual attempt at a "season" - 10? That's a nice number, has a zero, and isn't zero.

hotsauce

What's a good number of races to aim for in my first actual attempt at a "season" - 10?
All of them!

I had 18 race days last year, with many 2-race weekend and was cooked by the end of December. A lot of it depends on how much time you want to devote to racing and how well you recover. Back to back races in a weekend will leave you with a cross hangover until at least Tuesday, maybe Wednesday.

I think looking for a race per weekend then adjusting for real life makes sense, it'll probably leave you in the 10-15 range at the end of the season and you won't feel like roadkill by Thanksgiving.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I knew if I didn't get this kind of a response out of you, that I was doing it wrong. I chalk this up as a win in my book.
Well done sir....
Here's what I have so far....

Race Date Race
Sunday, September 10, 2017 Whirleybird Cross
Saturday, September 16, 2017 Nittany Lion Cross
Sunday, September 17, 2017 Nittany Lion Cross
Saturday, September 23, 2017 Bridgeton CX (new?)
Saturday, September 30, 2017 Hippo CX
Saturday, October 07, 2017 Caffeinated CX
Saturday, October 14, 2017 Cooper River CX
Sunday, October 22, 2017 Marty Cross
Saturday, October 28, 2017 HPCX
Sunday, October 29, 2017 HPCX
Saturday, November 04, 2017 Fairhill CX
Saturday, November 04, 2017 Apple CX (new?)
Saturday, November 11, 2017 Bubble CX
Sunday, November 12, 2017 Bubble CX
Saturday, November 18, 2017 Supercross Cup
Sunday, November 19, 2017 Supercross Cup
Saturday, December 09, 2017 Solstice Cross
Monday, December 18, 2017 Elm City CX
Sussex CX
Westwood Velo CX
Capital Cross
Limestone CX at the Kiln

I has a spreadsheet, but werk blocks up/downloading stuff, and I can't get to NJBA Calendar or Keith's file here.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
damn you newbies, bridgeton is a super old school race, even before i was riding bikes

hotsauce

Here's my tentative schedule. My wife is due 9/16 so Nittany is out, Town Hall probably too.

9/3 - Granogue
9/10 - Whirlybird
9/23 - Town Hall (wishful thinking)
9/30 - Hippo
10/7 - Caffeinated
10/14 - Cooper River
10/21-22 - Marty's or NYCCX - 1 day only
10/28-29 - HPCX - both days!
11/4-5 - Apple or NYCCX - 1 day only
11/11-12 - Bubble or Noho - 1 day only
11/18-19 - Supercross - both days!
11/25-26 - Sunken Meadow/NYCCX - super tentative
12/2-3 - NBX - wishful thinking and almost certain not happening
12/9 - Solstice
12/30 - Rainey Park

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
damn you newbies, bridgeton is a super old school race, even before i was riding bikes
fo realz? Hasn't been around in a while... was that Independence Cross from a few years back? Something else? Beacon?

hotsauce

I think it was Independence. I believe it was an uninspiring course, pan flat.

@MadisonDan you should add Town Hall to your list instead of Bridgeton. It's a known quantity of fun with cheap baked goods and beer.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
HAVE ANY OF YOU LOOKED OUTSIDE? IT'S BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAIN BIKING WEATHER. Too soon.

I am going to try to make DCCX a thing this year. And yes don't limit to NJCX as there's so many good MAC races and such.

@MadisonDan you may need to reschedule your cross practice to Mondays. Looks like Thursday may be cross practice at the Tourne via Bogert.

My cross bike is still in pieces. I'm going to try to keep it that way as long as possible.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you people stop talking about cross racing so early, maybe you'll actually get me to race one of those damn courses!

now... excuse me while i go see about leaving work early so i can go MOUNTAIN BIKE when i get home. :D

and p.s. i second the notion to have @MadisonDan move his practices to another day... thursdays are no go for me. i might actually show up to more than one!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A) Never too early (actually, 4am is always too early)
2) Open to other days. I need to pull out the training plan soon anyway. @Santapez
c) why is talking about it now going to stop you from racing? @MissJR
iv) I'm stuck in an office all day, and then going drinking tonight, so everyone else, please step away from the screen and go ride.
Five) I didn't add the Town Hall date to my sheet yet, that's all. @hotsauce

FTR, Capital Cross (Super 8 Series) was awesome!

Maybe I'll put my CX bike back together this weekend....

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
c) why is talking about it now going to stop you from racing? @MissJR

it's like christmas... stores start putting stuff out super early and i start getting christmas party invites in september and all that shit and by the time the actual holiday rolls around, i'm sick of it and want nothing to do with it.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Looks like Thursday may be cross practice at the Tourne via Bogert.
WUUUTTTT?!?!?!?!?!

I think looking for a race per weekend then adjusting for real life makes sense, it'll probably leave you in the 10-15 range at the end of the season and you won't feel like roadkill by Thanksgiving.
I think this is probably the route I'll go. Real life sucks; I prefer fake life.

They need to resurrect Wolfe's Pond Park from its post-Sandy grave and bring back StatenCX. I crushed it in an adventure race there years ago and that's my old stomping grounds. I want home field advantage. Looked at the Garrison spreadsheet and saw no ShaolinCross and was sad. @pearl, new idea, CX race on Staten Island called ShaolinCross, a podium gets you vintage WuWear. REMEMBER WUWEAR?!

it's like christmas... stores start putting stuff out super early and i start getting christmas party invites in september and all that shit and by the time the actual holiday rolls around, i'm sick of it and want nothing to do with it.
If you do the corresponding calendar shift, this thread is the cyclocross equivalent of Christmas in July. Waffles and pinch flats for everyone!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
WUUUTTTT?!?!?!?!?!

I think this is probably the route I'll go. Real life sucks; I prefer fake life.

They need to resurrect Wolfe's Pond Park from its post-Sandy grave and bring back StatenCX. I crushed it in an adventure race there years ago and that's my old stomping grounds. I want home field advantage. Looked at the Garrison spreadsheet and saw no ShaolinCross and was sad. @pearl, new idea, CX race on Staten Island called ShaolinCross, a podium gets you vintage WuWear. REMEMBER WUWEAR?!

If you do the corresponding calendar shift, this thread is the cyclocross equivalent of Christmas in July. Waffles and pinch flats for everyone!
58144810.jpg

Top Bottom