2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
we had someone level and truck in 20 tandems of topsoil. Excavation wasn't bad but the dirt cost was insane at about 1K per truck. Can't recommend them as I found out afterwards that they mixed screened fill with the topsoil. For a good job, find someone who has a box blade to do the leveling
This is why I won’t hire anyone to do anything. So many corner cutters out there.

qclabrat

I thought there was a 2018 thread?

Anyways is now a good time to start seeding for next spring? When?
Labor day weekend is perfect. Use a dethatcher to prepare the ground.
How bad is your lawn, mine is terrible this year. Partially due to my neglect, weather and a crazy crab grass strain.

THATmanMANNY

@jklett haha
Yea the crab grass is bad for me too. A new patio was installed so the area around the patio was fresh seed. It grew really nice then it got hot and killed everything and it's not just crab grass

serviceguy

What are you guys doing with your grass clippings? Last time I went dropping several bags of dead branches, leaves and grass clippings I was informed that I will be fined if I try to dispose of grass clippings so I had to bring them back home where are still sitting right now.

roc

Crab grass in my neighborhood is unrelenting. If your lawn is dominated by crab grass, can it be saved?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
the forsythia are blooming by me....The Guy should be by soon.

qclabrat

the forsythia are blooming by me....The Guy should be by soon.
Exactly, forsythia marks step 1. We're still a few weeks away being at a slightly higher elevation. Putting down too early is pretty much flushing it away with a big rain.

qclabrat

In between some deck work, I'll blow out the bushes and drop some seed as I didn't do an over seeding last Fall

THATmanMANNY

it looks to be a warm and rainy week. Why shouldn't I seed and put hay down this weekend?
patio contractor did a piss poor job about fixing the grass and divots. You could literally break and ankle.

RobW

In between some deck work, I'll blow out the bushes and drop some seed as I didn't do an over seeding last Fall
Been raking and blowing this week. With the new job and baby, I missed the leaf cleanup and overseeding too.

this weekend will be more raking/thatching and spreading soil to level out some areas (It’s free so why not?)
Was reading that if seed is put down in spring it needs more TLC and watering vs overseeding in fall. Either way I need to do both.

qclabrat

Been raking and blowing this week. With the new job and baby, I missed the leaf cleanup and overseeding too.

this weekend will be more raking/thatching and spreading soil to level out some areas (It’s free so why not?)
Was reading that if seed is put down in spring it needs more TLC and watering vs overseeding in fall. Either way I need to do both.
Truth, new grass will die easily if not watered regularly in the summer. If you have large areas, consider sod.

qclabrat

it looks to be a warm and rainy week. Why shouldn't I seed and put hay down this weekend?
patio contractor did a piss poor job about fixing the grass and divots. You could literally break and ankle.
Tomorrow a perfect day to fill and tamp down those ruts. I'm going to regrade a front section which has a depression from a clogged gutter last year. Just had them cleaned and rescreened.

RobW

on 3/22 I raked, thatched, tine rolled the front and back, then raked again. dropped seed and starter fert. I saw no new growth this past weekend with all the rain and cooler temps, the ground must of been too cold. I checked yesterday and I've got new grass everywhere, crazy what a really nice two days can do. In two weeks, I'll drop some scotts with Haltz & every 4 weeks from there.

IMG_3726.JPG

Top Bottom