2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
but @pooriggy, what am i suppose to do with this hill?

You are supposed to plant something that offers screening from the houses behind you, offers some vertical scale and interest to the landscape. Wild flowers are nice, however they only grow 2-3' tall. This link to an Ag Extension in your area provides some ideas for evergreen screening. I'm a fan of the Nellie Stevens Holly, its native look is an improved variety for your location. https://chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/10/what-is-the-best-evergreen-for-screening/

Also, use mulch as a ground cover to keep weeds down. Pine needles are not dense enough to cover soil and keep weeds down. Once an evergreen screening is established you could put perennials to fill area and help keep weeds out.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Plant bamboo. It grows high, and you only need to buy one stalk which will quickly spread to dominate your entire yard and your neighbors yards.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I guess I’ll give the mulch a try. I’ll probably buy bags instead and do some math. Let’s hope it doesn’t wash down. I was reading about that Jute shit or whatever. That seems like hell too. I wish i could just light it on fire.

rick81721

Lothar
Plant bamboo. It grows high, and you only need to buy one stalk which will quickly spread to dominate your entire yard and your neighbors yards.

This. I planted some in our Hillsborough house but we didn't stick around long enough to see it turn into a spreading forest. You can buy Chinese varieties that will grow 40 ft tall with stalks 6" in diameter

ChrisRU

@pearl, if you keep an eye out HD and Lowe's put their bagged stuff on sale for $2/bag a few times throughout the spring. Buy more than you think you'll need, it goes quick. A bag covers an area about twice the size of the bag.

Don't do Bamboo. My place had some planted and I was trying to manage it, but now I'm over it. Might need fire.

rick81721

Lothar
Baboo is an invasive plant. It will take over your yard and if close enough, could fuck with your foundation.

A friend of mine had to hire an excavator to dig it out of his yard.

I wouldn't do that.

http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/avoid-bamboo-like-the-plague

Baboo?

AH39pOA.gif

Yeah I was joking about bamboo - we planted it because we knew we wouldn't be in the house that long, plus we had 2 acres and it was very far back behind our house

GLawn

Its hard to tell from that picture what shrub that is that is already planted. If you are only trying to cover the hill i would mix in some low spreading evergreen shrubs and perennials for color and texture. You can put in trees also if there is an area up top that is more level. Spray the entire hill with roundup before planting, apply mulch around new plantings and use a high quality granular weed control. If you have a Site One landscape supply near you you may be able to buy something called Freehand there. Im not sure if it is restricted use and if you can buy it without a pesticide license though, if you cant, use Preen from Home Depot. There is no getting away from the need to do weeding even with chemical applications. Once the ground cover grows and gets established you will have less weeding to do but it never goes away totally. If you have the $ I would dig in some boulders to create some texture or maybe get really creative and do a small water fall. Another option would be to terrace it but that could get really expensive quick.
https://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/71/Groundcover list.pdf

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Its hard to tell from that picture what shrub that is that is already planted. If you are only trying to cover the hill i would mix in some low spreading evergreen shrubs and perennials for color and texture. You can put in trees also if there is an area up top that is more level. Spray the entire hill with roundup before planting, apply mulch around new plantings and use a high quality granular weed control. If you have a Site One landscape supply near you you may be able to buy something called Freehand there. Im not sure if it is restricted use and if you can buy it without a pesticide license though, if you cant, use Preen from Home Depot. There is no getting away from the need to do weeding even with chemical applications. Once the ground cover grows and gets established you will have less weeding to do but it never goes away totally. If you have the $ I would dig in some boulders to create some texture or maybe get really creative and do a small water fall. Another option would be to terrace it but that could get really expensive quick.
https://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/71/Groundcover list.pdf

^^^This. Doesn't really matter what you do to the hill...mulch, grass, shrubs, trees, rocks, boulders, etc.. You will still need to control the weeds and the best way to do that is with a pre-emergent herbicide after the current weeds are pulled/killed. Freehand is awesome stuff. As suggested, definitely try and find a good local nursery or landscape supply place where you can buy good products other than Home Depot. I would doubt you would need a license to buy a pre-emergent herbicide.

I Ride Bikes

I know its winter and the last thing people are thinking about is their yards, but @pooriggy, what am i suppose to do with this hill? it keeps growing all sorts of weeds. i've sprayed it with nasty chemicals to kill off the weeds, but then they just grow back later in the summer. do i need to add more pine needles? i don't think i can do mulch because the hill is so steep.
You can do mulch on pretty steep hills if you put down some netting first. The mulch won't slide on that. I'm a big fan of wildflowers. It's about the cheapest thing you can plant and basically maintenance free. I used the Pennington brand from home Depot. A big bag was like $10. They bloomed from June till October. Add some larger decorative stones/boulders and I think you'll be set.

THATmanMANNY

Anyone recently hire a prof to get their yard leveled and seeded with like real machines and shit. Cost per sqft/acre and who in CNJ?
Still combating choppy 0.75AC backyard from 2012 septic job.

qclabrat

Anyone recently hire a prof to get their yard leveled and seeded with like real machines and shit. Cost per sqft/acre and who in CNJ?
Still combating choppy 0.75AC backyard from 2012 septic job.
we had someone level and truck in 20 tandems of topsoil. Excavation wasn't bad but the dirt cost was insane at about 1K per truck. Can't recommend them as I found out afterwards that they mixed screened fill with the topsoil. For a good job, find someone who has a box blade to do the leveling
1558107657058.png

RobW

ended up buying 30 bags of topsoil to level some low spots in the yard mid march... followed by a heavy dose of Milorganite and over seed. The Pennington seed filled in nicer than expected but definitely took longer than usual most likely from the lack of sun. Currently cutting at highest setting and grass looks very full. NOW, what can I do for clover and the other weeds? weed n feed?

Top Bottom