Just in my garage...mostly mine, a few are norms over the course of the past 3-4 years

2 broken xtr rear dr - stick. stick
2 broken xt rear dr - stick. stick.
1 broken set of xt cranks in which the threaded pedal insert tore out. -- how many XX cranks & Hollogram cranks have you broken?
1 broken xt cassette in which the center hub cracked -- too much wattz. user error.
1 broken 105 cassette - see above
pair of $200 m182 mtb shoes that tore open in ~3months - your Giro shooz lasted only 3 months too

Shimano has reached full on fisher price status as far as im concerned.

are you using this stuff on your dirtbike? Time to go back to Campy, son.

The only place I see people "breaking" their Shimano shit is on the inter web (crashes don't count). I don't know too many in the flesh people, including the "shop guys" that I occasionally ride with, who go through Shimano stuff like you guys do (the shop-pimps here I understand). You must be some serious enduro-bro beasts

You
Just in my garage...mostly mine, a few are norms over the course of the past 3-4 years

2 broken xt shifters
2 broken xtr rear dr
2 broken xt rear dr
1 broken set of xt cranks in which the threaded pedal insert tore out
1 broken xt cassette in which the center hub cracked
1 broken 105 cassette
1 xt rear brake that is pouring oil out of the master
pair of $200 m182 mtb shoes that tore open in ~3months
broken dura ace rear dr
broken dura ace shifter

Shimano has reached full on fisher price status as far as im concerned.
You are hard on your gear Utah!

Utah could power a small, suburban town with his legs. No components are designed to withstand that.

I thought Shimano's were the shit a few years ago. I really liked the Saints on my Trek Session FR.

I remember this too. Not too long ago people were saying how awesome Shimano XT brakes were. I'm sure I can find the threads.

I remember this too. Not too long ago people were saying how awesome Shimano XT brakes were. I'm sure I can find the threads.
I still say XT's are awesome. Everyone said they were awesome and had good modulation... until the next new thing came out.

But on topic, I wanna ride that Scalpel.

Is the rear hub just standard 142 with the wheel dished 6mm or is it a specific hub to this frame?

You build it centered over the flanges not centered over the hub axle.

Basically you are building a front wheel

Even spoke length and tension.

This builds a far stronger wheel.

Pretty innovative approach and much mores simple to build.

It actually changes the way the bike turns as with a traditional wheel, the rear wheel will flex more easily to the right from the top down.

http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/203326837-Ai-Drivetrain

For long term durability of seals and pivots, shimano seems to have the upper hand. I think SRAM road stuff is built with lower weight being the goal over durability. I saw the same thing with the lower Mtb SRAM lines like x7 where the derailleur felt like poop after a while and there was no getting it any better. Clean up a Shimano and it was like new, shifting wise.

On the road side, shimano rim brakes are far superior to any SRAM mechanical, even the ultegras out perform the aeroglide in pretty much all respect. I had a pair of force and red brakes that felt like poop after a year and they were dead where ultegra and dura ace are still bumping today after 2-3 years of use.

That being said, I am SRAM on the road for shifters and rear derail. Shimano brakes and front derail.

Last edited:
For two years I ran a Shimano xt / slx drivetrain on the mtb. The only issue I had was the tension spring on the rear der wore out and couldn't keep tension on tje chain causing lots of chain drops. It was a 9 speed non clutch xt der.

I think the approximate mileage was roughly a couple thousand miles of riding and racing in NJ / NY, H2H ect...

The cassette, cranks and shifter still have plenty of life on them.

You build it centered over the flanges not centered over the hub axle.

Basically you are building a front wheel

Even spoke length and tension.

This builds a far stronger wheel.

Pretty innovative approach and much mores simple to build.

It actually changes the way the bike turns as with a traditional wheel, the rear wheel will flex more easily to the right from the top down.

http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/articles/203326837-Ai-Drivetrain
I'm really interested in seeing how this feels on the new bike compared to my current scalpel. I'm thinking the combination of this and the more slack head angle will make it feel a bit more the habit. Can't wait to try one out....now where might I demo one? :)

Ok rant aside... Yes alot of broken parts are purely luck...certainly some of the stuff I have broken would fall into that category. My dura ace stuff failing is super annoying, but its old so.. My main complaint with Shimano is I feel that the quality of the xt line has declined dramatically. Cassettes, shifters and rear derailleurs especially. I feel like it's dirt cheap now for good reason

Ok rant aside... Yes alot of broken parts are purely luck...certainly some of the stuff I have broken would fall into that category. My dura ace stuff failing is super annoying, but its old so.. My main complaint with Shimano is I feel that the quality of the xt line has declined dramatically. Cassettes, shifters and rear derailleurs especially. I feel like it's dirt cheap now for good reason

Come back in a year after you've had a chance to run all that new SRAM stuff. Tell us how many broken SRAM stuff you have in your garage.

C17_C24206M_BLK_4.ashx

Coming soon

Back
Top Bottom