2015 Trail Skiing Thread

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The impending snow this week means I'll get at least a few weeks on skis now so I thought I'd start this up the right way. I'm a moto guy who cross trained on mtb, then retired to become a full time all weather "cyclist". Then one day about 6 years ago I walked into Dover Sport and said "I want some of these skis that will go everywhere I mtb when the snow gets too deep" Dude did his best while looking at me like I was crazy and had no idea of the monster he was creating. What I do only requires snow coverage. Its between what you see on the Olympics and backcountry adventure skiing. Any trail,any time,any condition , any temp. I've noticed that on the cycling side of things no one wanted to do anything fun til the "fatbike " was invented. So I see that how something is packaged for you changes your perception more than I could have imagined. So I don't xc ski, I trail ski. There you have it,new sport. If your currently tryin it out, great, hope to see you soon. Anyone wanna do an Allamuchy triple on skis this weekend?:getsome: Questions, comments , concerns, I'm here for y'all:popcorn:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
typical equipment used?

some pictures?

Clarkenstein and I are planning a climb to dh ski the sourlands - what is the alternative?

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Any "out the backdoor" xc ski. Typically 70mm or less in width w/ BC NNN bindings and full or partial metal edge. You may be more in the 3 pin tele realm. Why climb? Ski up, down and all around. Google Rossignol BC 65:D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
using skins to climb?

this sounds fun, more toys!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I debated putting my skins on to climb and doing the randonee set up thing but the hills are so short here I don't mind huffing it with the snowshoes or boots. I throw the skis on a pack in the shape of an A and hike up and ski down. The Sourlands keeps me entertained once we break a foot of snow. Over 18" and the trails (or random lines in the woods like last year) are fine for the DH skis.

Every winter i debate buying Hoks. The year I pull the trigger I would love to do a tour up north!

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
this sounds awesome...after todays snow, conditions should be prime for some bc skiing in NJ. i have a few spots i want to check out, but ill probably be at the snow bowl a few evenings this week with my headlamp

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Your just trying to get suckers to break trail for ya...;)......hope I can make it for one of these expeditions.....equipped and skilled.

gtluke

The Moped
I got the skiis yesterday brett. Chris has $ for you. Thanks! I'll be trying them out this week for sure.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I'll be in the backcountry of Watchung. Hopefully between snowshoe'rs and fatbikes the 2' of snow will get beaten down so I don't have to break trail.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
Yeah, I'll be in the backcountry of Watchung. Hopefully between snowshoe'rs and fatbikes the 2' of snow will get beaten down so I don't have to break trail.

We don't "break trail" in trail skiing. We also don't speak of wax or anything having to do with golf courses. We just rip it up 5 wide leaving behind a wake of herringbone:getsome: Hope to see you soon Iggs:D

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If we xc trail ski with you will badges be supplied?

Badges.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
I had to walk for a while up that, it was super steep. that picture blows. I'd walk a bike up it for sure.

Top Bottom