2015 Snowshoe Thread

stilluf

Having felt the non-love on another winter sport thread, it made sense to start one for those of us who selflessly strap on snowshoes and break trail so everyone else can enjoy the winter wonderland.

Please weigh in with you latest shoeing exploits, so the Mtn Bike NJ community know where it's OK to go in the snow. ;^)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i want to go hike up at harriman with snow shoes. can you give me a newbies guide to buying and stuff?

stilluf

And I'll start it off: on Sunday I showshoed at Wang Chung, starting from the parking area by Seely's Pond. I stayed with the trails on that end of the ridge, and I took some really cool lines up the cliff face and back down. Broke quite a bit of trail on the long uphill on the white trail from the Rt 22/McDonald's trail head.
ENJOY!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We have done the small park across the street and Wagner farms down near the river, both in Warren. Nothing crazy but it was nice to get out. Actually found a new trail across the street on snow shoes so that was cool.

I was going to head out this week more to pack stuff down, but have not had time yet. Going to hit CR on the bike today to see if it could use some shoe-love. If so I maybe will head out there for a little later this week.

stilluf

i want to go hike up at harriman with snow shoes. can you give me a newbies guide to buying and stuff?

I've never been to Harriman's, but I'll bet it's great.

I'm not an expert or especially knowledgable by any means - I just love this sport, and the freedom that comes with it. But my 2 cents is that you can get started with very simple, entry level snowshoes, and, if you ski, use your ski poles and snow pants, gloves, etc. If you like it, you can pick up adjustable poles, gaiters, etc. that are more specific to snowshoeing and winter sports in general. REI and LL Bean have all the gear.

As for technique, my favorite approach is to venture off trail whenever you see some terrain that strikes your fancy. THis is the real advantage of the snowshoe; you can go wherever you like, in nearly any conditions. For example, I use my shoes at downhill ski mountains, and go up trails or thru the woods - whatever you want. Just enjoy until it melts and you're back on your bike.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe REI rents snow shoes and I know Rock and Snow rents snow shoes in New Paltz. You may want to give it a try before you buy.
I imagine you can google around to find a trail map of Harriman, or just follow exhisting tracks, if you get lost call Jimmy to rescue you.

There are also snow shoe trails in New Paltz at Minnewaska. If you go there you have to stay on snow shoe trails which are marked on a map. The ranger kicks people off of xc ski trails.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't been to Harriman this time of year but depending on which trails you go and conditions, snow shoes may not cut it. There's a bunch of stuff you get on your hands for and if they're iced over you may need those spike things Aaron uses. But there's plenty if trails at Harriman.. not all is gnar.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
my co-worker is all about heading up to harimann on the weekends, wanted to follow his tracks one day

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like getting out at night during week and riding those same trails on the weekend. Wish I could get some help. I have used my 12 year old shoes more this year then the previous years. Wednesday night shoe night hit me up. If you got a fatbike even better, Ride in...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I find the "off-trail" aspect particularly appealing. It's a lot of fun for me to go into Hartshorne and traverse ridges that have been closed to bikes since the mid-90's, knowing that I'm not doing any damage.

I had a discussion about this with a MCPS ranger, he basically told me to have at it when there's deep snow on the ground.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i usually use my snowshoes as a method of transport for my skis but i have gone out just to use them more than a few times. deep fresh snow and hills are when they are the most fun. if you start running going downhill you'll start sliding. its like running on the moon or something if you've ever done that before.

i went to 6 mile last week or the week before and just did a couple miles to check out/pack down the trail. when the snow is tough and crusty they are not useful really.

Mildly Wild

Having felt the non-love on another winter sport thread, it made sense to start one for those of us who selflessly strap on snowshoes and break trail so everyone else can enjoy the winter wonderland.

Please weigh in with you latest shoeing exploits, so the Mtn Bike NJ community know where it's OK to go in the snow. ;^)

I used to rent snowshoes from REI. I called them last week to see if they had any available and they told me they no longer rent snowshoes. Called Pelican on Rte 10. They no longer rent either.

Last one left that I know is ski shop in High Point State Park. I believe they still rent snowshoes and CC skis.

Mildly Wild

I believe REI rents snow shoes and I know Rock and Snow rents snow shoes in New Paltz. You may want to give it a try before you buy.
I imagine you can google around to find a trail map of Harriman, or just follow exhisting tracks, if you get lost call Jimmy to rescue you.

There are also snow shoe trails in New Paltz at Minnewaska. If you go there you have to stay on snow shoe trails which are marked on a map. The ranger kicks people off of xc ski trails.

Oops, quoted wrong post 1st time.
I used to rent snowshoes from REI. I called them last week to see if they had any available and they told me they no longer rent snowshoes. Called Pelican on Rte 10. They no longer rent either.

Last one left that I know is ski shop in High Point State Park. I believe they still rent snowshoes and CC skis.

Dirt Dawg

I was able to hike about 6 Miles off 7 Lakes Drive today with just boots and crampons. Snow was perfectly packed, and traction was amazing. Step 1 inch to either side of the packed trail and you were up to Mid Calf - but as long as you stayed on the packed trails - it was some of the best hiking i have ever done.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went out on Superbowl Sunday morning and did about 2hrs snowshoeing at Tatum Woods Park, part of the Monmouth County Park System. Did the entire mtg race course backwards and all the other stuff where bikes aren't allowed...

Wish we had more snow down here because the deeper stuff is melted and useless for snowshoes and the well used trails are icy and sh!t for the MTB...

Brian

Top Bottom