2013 Review and 2014 Plans

2013 - lots of injuries
2014 - less injuries

2014 plans (in no particular order):

1. Battenkill
2. SSaP
3. Find a new place to live.
4. Find a new job.
5. Visit another country (I never travel :()

Like Lou said...

2013 - well, just one crash for me a big one during a race at Branch Brook. It kind of ruined road racing for me. I started working with Coach Ben this year.

By the numbers:

279 activities
4,801 miles
218,660' elevation

Just about 1000 more miles than last year. I would have definitely reached 5k if I wasn't off the bike for about a month after my crash.

MTB - 328 miles
CX - 1,016 miles
Road - 3,420 miles

2014 - CX is BOSS

2013: 3854 total miles, 484 workouts- 60 more than last year. almost 1,000 less miles than last year but i ran A LOT more this year which would account for the difference.

2014: continue JRA Mentality and have fun. if a race gets in the way, go fast(er).

2013 started with high expectations. Solid riding and running were going to just be a carry over from the end of 2012 - then the snowboarding accident that tore up my knee/ankle on MLK day. Didn't run again until august - but the bike felt good. The MTB felt even better, so the positive is that I've discovered how bad I am at it, but was able to improve a little as the year progressed - the sourland mountain has that effect. Was on my way to breaking into the 10:xx range for Zion - but the mtb got in the way!

Coming up a ride or two short of 4,000 miles - so I must now look in the mirror, and have the honest talk that there were excuses - too cold, too tired, too busy. Had 186 rides (187 with tomorrow!!) so was on a bike more than half of the days. This can improve.

2014 - no excuses. yes, there may be times when I can't ride or run - but the excuses must approach zero...

Get involved with the evolution of round valley into more of a destination for us all. Paging Woody!

Best of health to all in the new year!

Last edited:
2013 was my first year biking so had no frame of reference. Thanks to Dave's BIYF race I managed 280 miles in January so figured 3000 for the year was a reasonable goal. Helped to get a second bike in April (Supersix road bike) - long road rides on the mtb were getting tiring. Looks like will end 2013 just short of 3600 miles, 183 rides, 270 hrs of riding and 140,000 ft of climbing.

2014 I don't want a distance goal - I found that I spent too much time on the road bike in the summer to rack up mileage at the expense of mountain biking, which I really need to work on. Also neglected trail running @ the sourlands - want to really focus on riding and running there in 2014. So will only set an elevation goal - 250,000 ft. Also more group rides, less solo rides!

- ~600 miles (i don't have a ton of free time these days)
-got a new SC Solo, retired my intense (it was 7 years old and aluminum foil and pounded-flat copper wire held the bearings in. it was time)
-got up to kingdom
-road a lot of new trails
-had an awesome time

-~1000 miles
- ride more new trails
- graduate college.... for the second time
- go back to kingdom
- have an awesome time.

oh, and train a bit, maybe do an enduro or something.

2013- what a year! Finally got back on the bike dropped a fair amount of weight and felt like myself again (not sucking wind 95% of the time!).

Goals achieved-
Sedona, AZ for five days
Kingdom, VT for four days
Raystown, PA
Nox in PA
Discovered 6 Mile Run and rode it- a lot

2014:
Ride my current bikes and not covet anything new (renovating the house- the Surly Instigator will need to wait)
Use the season as a great training for a trip out West in 2015 (Gooseberry? Moab?)
Lend a hand in trail maintenance (6 mile)
Ride Chimney Rock more
Ride Mahlon Dickerson more
Discover Stephens
Embrace the pain of Round Valley
Ride Blue Marsh at least once
Ride French Creek at least once
Ride Raystown at least once
Ride Kingdom Trails and surrounding areas at least once

I am sure I will miss a few of these- but the more goals I have the more motivated I am to keep in shape!

Happy New Year!!!!

2013:

192 rides for 4,012 total miles (w/317,829 ft of climbing) - from March thru December*
149 rides for 3,145 MTB miles (w/283,327 ft of climbing) - all SS - from March thru December
Longest SS ride I've ever done (130+ miles at Bakers Dozen)
4 podiums (1 win)
2 Sh*t The Beds (both at Stewart!)
SSUSA in Minnesota
Iron Cross in Michaux
Rode some great trails here in PA and elsewhere (Rattling Creek, Rothrock, Blue Marsh, Fair Hill, French Creek, Marsh Creek, Tamaqua and a few others I can't think of now)
Generally just had a great time on the bike

2014:

Racing:
8 Hours of Patapsco
Bakers Dozen
24 Hours of Round The Clock (Spokane, WA)
Six Pack
SSUSA (Copper Harbor, MI)
SM 100
Iron Cross
sWe 6 Hr of Cathedral Pines

Possible Races: Snotcycle, Monster Cross, 12 Hours of Granogue. Wilderness 101

Mileage: No specific goal, but I'd like to get out on the road more. Didn't have the chance in 2013 because my road bike was down for surgery for a few months.

Unfortunately, going to miss SSAP this year because it's the day after Bakers Dozen, which ends at 10 pm. (Probably not going to want to drive the 6-7 hours after racing for 13.) So that sucks. But I'm excited about the rest of it. Also going to try to make DirtFest this year, too. Other than that, just going to keep the pedals turning and try to stay healthy.

* didn't have my new Garmin until the end of February, so I'm missing whatever I did in Jan and Feb, all of my commutes to work, and a few rides here and there where I forgot to bring the Garmin the rest of the year.

2013 didn't work out so well for mtb as my bike died and was enjoying the road. Did just over 6,000miles would of done easy 7k if I didn't just slack off after August. Hence why im never on this site. prob 95%road. Raced a few crits.
2014 Looking better just bought a Scott Scale. Looking to do a few xc races and less crits. Crit racing not my favorite thing. Wanna do some road races and possibly a TT. Miles Would like to match 2013 or anything over 5k.

This year I tried a lot of new things - road racing, TTs, and even got to "try the track" at the velodrome (unfortunately cut short due to rain).

I spent a lot of time riding the road which did take a toll on my MTB handling/ skills. I did achieve some personal goals on the road like climbing Iron Bridge and a few other kicker climbs.

I didn't log all of my rides but what I did log was 4670 miles.

Overall I had a great year...and I guess you can say an incredible CX season.

I would like to spend more time riding and racing my MTB. And more group rides as well as exploring new areas/ parks.

I plan on climbing Fiddler's Elbow and High Point. Maybe do the HP and Sunrise Mtn TT.

Hoping to get to a NECX race or 2.

Looking forward to new adventures in 2014!

Great thread and I am stoked that someone started it.

A big change for me in 2013 was getting a GPS for Xmas last year. I did not get it up and running until Jan 10 and I may have forgotten to use it a few times like CX practice, but I really have liked how easy it is to use and pull up the numbers today.

I logged 342 hours
3068 miles
250,000 elev gain

Most my hours are mountain bike, but I do some road as well. I was off the bike twice for injury in Aug, but not more than 14 days total. I do not place a lot of importance on numbers these days. If I am healthy and can ride my bike, I am happy.

My 2 big racing goals in 2013 were Mountain bike Nationals and doing some local enduros. The local enduro series got cancelled, so I fillled in with super-d at Windham and Nationals. Nationals both XC and SD were a blast!! I did meet my goal of bringing home the starts and stripes and plan to go back and defend again in 2014. If anyone fancies them self as a mountain biker, you should go this year b/c it is not only is a killer course, but a great scene and rarely this local. I got a kick out of watching the faces of racers full of anger or fear and then NJ racers like Utah, breeze trough with a smile.

On the trail building end, the goals are endless, but Art and I keep plugging away trying to make our trails a better place. This year, we have engaged a few new leaders which is a huge accomplishment behind the scenes. I also plan to step down from the Jorba board. After a 10 year search, I have found a replacement. I am excited to put all my efforts into Paydirt, Ringwood trail work and just riding.
:)

Last edited:

We had our 2nd kid so I planned on taking the year as a loss, but I ended up meeting up with Bobke and he showed me the Central park NYC riding scene and I ended up still managing just a hair under 2000 miles for the year. 99% of those mikes were on the road though.

goals are to get above 3000 but closer to 4000 miles in. I want to ride my MTB a lot more this year and ride with more people. Do some races, short track and Lewis Morris come to mind. and Get my oldest son and wife out on bikes.

The goal this year was to just ride more than last year, which ment more than 475 hrs and 8,500 miles. For the past few years I think I am approaching my max but have been able to push through alittle bit. I wasn't so sure for this year but a winter with a bunch of hours helped. Here are a few notables that happen to be 4 of my 5 centuries of the year:

Hell of Hunterdon 2013 was awesome this year, 2 flats but good vibes all around

Tour de Pink Day 2, plus some exploring: Tour de Pink 2013 Day 2, Plus 17 bonus miles through my home town

New biggest mileage day, 135 miles: Covered Bridges 2013 Plus To and From

Solo century including Fiddlers Elbow and Iron Bridge climbs: Iron Fiddles Can't Be Heard in the Wind

34 day streak for the Halters July challenge

Very active KOM year and pushed myself like never before

Hit a deer on in November

Commuting really fell off this year with only 337 commute miles
Like no MTB miles, prolly less than 100

So all in all, I meet my goals:

503 hours
9,153.7 miles
302 days with a ride

For 2014 I can only hope to match this year.

Last edited:
2013:
1) Went to Dirtfest at Raystown -- loads of awesomeness! Already have a camping spot reserved for 2014. Can't wait to ride the Jet 9 again.
2) Did Kingdom Trails again. It was a bit rainy when we went, so it was kind of a bummer. We didn't get in enough riding.
3) Dawn and I bought a Tandem Road Bike. We met a whole group of great people and did quite a bit of road riding this year. Did our first "Tandem Rally" with over 100 bikes and really enjoyed it.
4) Rode Kerr Scott Dam in North Carolina and Douthat State Park in Virginia. Really cool riding and the views at Douthat were amazing.

2014:
1) Continue riding the tandem. Attend the Eastern Tandem Rally (ETR) in Burlington, VT.
2) Tack on a Kingdom Trails trip on the tail end of the ETR.
3) Go to Dirtfest 2014!
4) Ride more trails in 2014. 2013 had a lot of rain in the early summer, which kind of put a damper on mountain biking this year.
5) Ride Allamuchy more! Fall in love with that place all over again.
6) Do more trail maintenance.

goal was to break 3K in miles this year. That was the goal in 2012 but Sandy put a dig dent in that one with only 2400 so progress....

2013 highlights:
3316 miles
216 hours
149,000 ft elevation
fastest century to date
Mtb in Park City- amazing trails!

2014 goals
4K in miles
try a few new areas on the MTB
Less mechanicals at MTB races
lose some weight and get faster!

Count: 205 Activities
Time: 420:27:54 h:m:s
Distance: 6,687.24
Elevation: 406,814 ft

This year I raced the least, only 6 races total, but rode more than years past. I developed really bad Asthma in the early summer which caused racing to take a back seat. I couldn't ride with much intensity for a little while, but despite the doctor telling me not to ride at all, I couldn't stay off the bike completely. The breathing issues appear to be mostly under control now that I'm taking Advair, so hopefully next year I can race more.

Spent a lot more time on the road bike, cranking out hilly long-distance rides on the weekends and hammering my local roads weekday evenings.

Rode 5 Centuries this year. My fastest was in November, with a time of 5:14 (19.2 mph) solo. Also did my first 100 mile mountain bike race, The Wildcat 100 in the worst conditions imaginable.

2014: I need to get on the mountain bike more. All this roadie stuff is making me soft :D

Would also like to do more long distance endurance events.

Other than that, I'm going to take it by ear. My girl and I are buying a house this year so I'm not sure what kind of projects thats going to throw my way, potentially cutting into riding and racing.

Happy New Year everyone! And It's great to hear that everyone is out doin' rad shit! Keep it up!

Last edited:
Jesus Christ... You guys ride a lot! Lol

Anyone wanna add up how many total miles Mtbnj'ers rode this year?

Had to estimate a little as I lost my garmin and my phone went for a swim..

2013 stats

53 activities
73 hours
620 miles
20k climbing

A I said, 2013 was a disappointment for me. while the schedule was more difficult than 2012, I have nothing to blame except my lazy ass self... So I am setting simpler goals this year....

RIDE MORE.... Miles, I Did over 1000 in 2012, and finished 2013 with over 140 on dec. so I know I can
RIDE MORE.... Often, 100+ times is a reasonable goal, that's less than 2x per week ..
RIDE MORE.... To work, it isn't that far and I don't care if I stink all day

Back
Top Bottom