2012 Feb. Mar. & Apr. JORBA Rides & Trail Work

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
For 2012… we’ve scheduled the Saturday Night Ride to run earlier, wheels out at 6:00, back before 9:00.

Saturday February 4 Trail Maintenance
Current plan is to ride the six miles to the PennBranch Trail's NE corner and clip back the two overgrown scub oak sections. (2011 stayed dry long enough for us to finish that one cool re-pair/re-route on the west side. But the storms that followed made it difficult for us to get the trailer and equipment back to the NE corner.) We’ll be meeting near the trail head in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot at 9:00. Quitting time is before 12:30. Bring bike, helmet, hydration. We can supply clippers and work glovesif you need them. If you've never ventured past the Huckleberry Trail turnoff, this is a great opportunity to become familiar with that area.

Saturday February 25 Night Ride
For JORBA members and WSF trail volunteers. Wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe even 6:15), back before 9:00pm. Fun conversational no-drop pace on the inner loops. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended. :D

Tentative dates for night rides in the coming months include March 24 & April 28. Tentative trail maintenance dates include March 3 & April 7. Will update w/details here on MTBNJ and on the JORBA calendar. http://www.jorba.org

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
cr542 bridge repaired

The cr542 Mullica River bridge has been repaired. If you are driving from the Ham'ton-Nesco area, the detour is no more.

Current TWC forecast for next Saturday's TM looks good, partly sunny in the 40s.

January's TM reroute is quickly developing a nice line. Noted that trail conditions were good today. A few new blowdowns from last weeks storm, but nothing major. If you're riding WSF tomorrow, have fun! :D

moray42

Merman
The cr542 Mullica River bridge has been repaired. If you are driving from the Ham'ton-Nesco area, the detour is no more.

Current TWC forecast for next Saturday's TM looks good, partly sunny in the 40s.

January's TM reroute is quickly developing a nice line. Noted that trail conditions were good today. A few new blowdowns from last weeks storm, but nothing major. If you're riding WSF tomorrow, have fun! :D

Was going to update about the detour. Thought that was your car in the lot today Kurt. Went out with a couple friends around the blue. Conditions were definitely pretty good. Reroute is packing down nice. Can't even really tell that the old trail section was there. We'll see how it looks on video when i get around to editting stuff from today's ride. Know what to do to avoid deleting it again now:D

moray42

Merman
Sorry i'm missing you guys out there today. My plans to make it to this TM got changed last night when i got an emergency "my tank is pouring water all over my floor call" in PA:cry:. Didn't make it home until sometime between 2-3am, and am feeling pretty dopey at the moment:drooling:. See ya next time.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
No worries. Hope to see you on the 2/25 night ride. wooopwooop

John, Jim, Bill and me rode up the east side with tools today. Removed one blowdown, made a route around another, then clipped back a 1/4 mile of scrub oaks. A good day. :)

Last edited:

moray42

Merman
Actually I just realized that I failed to make the connection, but I will be going to a friend's party on the 25th so looks like ill be missing that too. Maybe ill run into you one of these days when I make it over there to ride. I'm missing a lot of stuff recently. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Current weather forecast for Saturday's February night ride looks good. Partly cloudy, low 40s. Meet by trailhead, wheels out around 6:00. Fun conversational no-drop pace around the inner loops, with stops at every intersection for head count, trash talk and other stuff. Back before 9:00. wooopwooop!

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Current weather forecast for Saturday's February night ride looks good. Partly cloudy, low 40s. Meet by trailhead, wheels out around 6:00. Fun conversational no-drop pace around the inner loops, with stops at every intersection for head count, trash talk and other stuff. Back before 9:00. wooopwooop!

What do you think Kurt? Do you still think you'll ride or kayak? :D

moray42

Merman
Just drove by the park a little while ago and the rain has stopped there for the moment. If we avoid getting dumped on much more the trails may drain by then. I'm gonna miss the night ride, but if things stay fairly clear i may check to see how things are in the morning. If i do i'll report back. May want to pack the floaties just to be safe though:D.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Do you think you'll ride or kayak?

If the trail is too soft, will take a tempo ride down the Washington Turnpike (gravel) from Batsto to the ghost town of Washington. If there is time, maybe even further on down to Hawkins Bridge to see what is floating down the river. :D This my usual post blizzard ride.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
I've gotta bail tonight Kurt. I was really hoping to ride too :-/
I'll catch ya next time.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
A great ride last night. The earlier start time allowed for an easier set up in the daylight. Over 2.5 hour ride more or less at a steady pace. Noted that the Teaberry Trail is developing a faster line (compared to the T-Day weekend ride). Good stuff!
Next trail work day is Saturday March 3. We're planning on a mow and brush of the middle of the Huckleberry Trail. More better swoop! :D

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
A great ride last night. The earlier start time allowed for an easier set up in the daylight. Over 2.5 hour ride more or less at a steady pace. Noted that the Teaberry Trail is developing a faster line (compared to the T-Day weekend ride). Good stuff!
Next trail work day is Saturday March 3. We're planning on a mow and brush of the middle of the Huckleberry Trail. More better swoop! :D
Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the ride... It was a blast. I posted the Video from the ride on YouTube. It's the first time I've ever posted anything to Youtube (or anywhere else for that matter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kdpUFamp4

Dan

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
what route did the night rid consist of? Green,Blue??? Might have to plan for upcoming night ride.

We rode Green, Washington Trpk, Red, White & Blue. And maybe a short section of Orange for giggles.

...posted the Video from the ride on YouTube. It's the first time I've ever posted anything to Youtube (or anywhere else for that matter). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kdpUFamp4

Very cool! I like the the parts where we're riding thru the pine saplings best!

Please be advised that the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot is closed dusk to dawn. If you park there after hours, the odds are that you will be visited by the State Park Police.

Due to JORBA's volunteer efforts at Wharton Forest, the staff allows JORBA to have an occasional after hours ride, that we schedule a month or two in advance so that all concerned, Park Police included, can be informed.

If you have joined us on a scheduled trail maintanence day and/or are JORBA member, you are welcome to join us on the ride. The night ride group usually consists of JORBA members from all over Jersey.... from Bridgeton, Millville, New Brunswick, Allentown, Brick, and of course the mighty mighty Paulsboro crew. :)

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
*CANCELLED* March 3 Trail Maintenance

The Wharton Forest March 3 Trail Maintenance Day is cancelled.
The current TWC forecast for Saturday is *T-Storms. Potential for severe thunderstorms*.
I'll be sleeping late, eating pizza and watching the Three Stooges instead.

Please give the trails time to drain after the storm passes.
The trails should be firm enough to ride by Sunday morning.

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
March 24 Night Ride

With sunset at 7:15 pm, the March 24 Saturday night ride will be more like a sunset ride. :) Though with a 4% crescent moon, it will get dark very quickly.

Insert all the usual text... wheels out at 6:00 (or maybe 6:15), back before 9:00. Fun conversational no-drop pace on the inner loops. The WSF staff allows JORBA members and WSF volunteer trail workers to meet after dark in the Batsto Visitor Center parking lot, near the trail head, for this ride. (Please do not park in this lot after hours w/o prior permission. You will be visited by the Park Police.) Helmet and light required. A fair amount of humor is recommended.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
March 24 Night Ride

Am regularly checking the TWC forecast for Saturday... and hoping to see it change in the next few days. :) Will post a yay or nay Friday morning.

pibbles

night ride

Hope it doesn't rain,my wife needs time off from me. I'll just be sittin' there reading My new issue of Dirt Rag to her.
Bill

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions