2008 Year-End Wrap up

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So what is everyones miles/accomplishments/best rides, blah blah blah for 2008. I'll start....

2008 was a good year of riding for me. Some of you read my thread so you have seen that I ride road far more than mtb, almost never ride with anyone and rarely ride after 1PM. This year saw a new frame for my mtb and road and the acquisition of a commuter bike (sucessfully gateway bike, two bike quota no more!). My office moved with in 5 miles of my house in September, making some bike commuting impossible to ignore. My commuting goal was 3 days per week and I fell way short. My first bike race ever was this year and was strangly a cross race and on a single speed. Soooo here are the numbers....

Days with Riding (at least an hour ride or commute): 182
Road Rides: 132
Road Miles: 2899
Mtb Rides: 37
Mtb Miles: 397
Commutes: 27
Commute Miles (includes bike errands during day): 325
Total Miles: 3621

Considering my average ride is just over an hour, this ain't too shabby in my book.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
A trip to Rays. My Diablo pass paid for itself twice over. I went 29, then back - thank God that's over. Shredded my thumb and got an XC bike. Nothing major, but was alot of fun riding with my friends.

2009 will be a year of fitness and bigger steps up the ladder of huckage!!

Last edited:

Wobbegong

Great job kevin.

I didnt get near as much time on the bike as you. I was just a hair over 1000 miles for the year.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got my first mountain bike, tried racing, got 4th, 4th, and 7th in my first 3 sport races.

Sadly, took the year off from motocross racing. First time since 1998. Also the first time since 1998 that I made it an entire year without breaking a bone.

Have not put it together yet, but I got my 1st 29er too this month

Maurice

Nice

I had a great first half season, on the road mostly. Then work caught up big time in the other half. Such is life.

Looking towards 2009 now, I wish everyone a safe year full of exciting mountain bike rides!

CrossAddict

08 vtc

State Single Speed Champion
State Cyclocross Champion 35+

2008 was great!!!

Thanks to VTC and everyone who yelled at me during the season (good or bad).

Trying the Pro ranks for 2009:cry:

Peace,

-R to the F

John Baumann

It's been my best MTBing year yet. Mostly because of the increased frequency and intesity of my rides. Plus these group rides really nudge me to push myself, they've all been a blast. Lastly, I got a super good deal on a brand new KHS Flagstaff 29er... gettin' it all dialed in was like falling in love all over again.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i dont have an accurate total of miles do to not having a computer at first and than i not working for the last 1.5 months of riding for the year. id say i put down between 400-450 miles from april till now. for the next year i plan on putting more than double that on my new bike. also planning on hitting white clay a few times, plus a trip to kingdom for a weekend in the springtime. also planning on possibly getting a road bike this year as well if possible.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As of yesterday, my imprecise measure:

219 rides
352 hours
4711 miles (3860 road)
60 trainer hours (estimated a few weeks ago)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
good job norm, how many clif bars consumed?

Seriously, before the experiment, maybe 5. Since this started, a lot! I really wish I would have saved all the wrappers now.

I'm thinking about a spreadsheet where you can enter what you rode (R, M, CX, etc) and it will collate it for you:

CX rides
CX miles
CX hours

etc etc

I have something I've put together over the years, but it's not really that useful for most people. If anyone is interested, I'll try to put something more generic and friendly together for more people to use. I've also toyed with vertical numbers in an attempt to normalize the rides and be able to compare them with each other. But that's only going to have some usefulness on the road. You just can't compare LM to Ringwood with numbers.

xc62701

For me here's how my season went as of yesterday:

It's been overall a great season with lots of good stuff...

158 days riding
3163 miles total
2124 mtb
1039 road
10 trainer hours
355.5 hours total

Rode in 2 new states
Competed and finished 4 of the NUE 100 races
Got hit by 1 car(3 weeks + 4 days ago) and put 120 miles on in the past 5 days
Got a couple of local podiums
Competed in 1 Sprint Tri (3rd) and 2 road races.
Also competed in my first adventure race which was a really cool event - I'll try some of these again.

Really all in all a good year. More in store for 2009. First race is 115 days away. It's on like pong...

Last edited:

Wobbegong

For me here's how my season went as of yesterday:

It's been overall a great season with lots of good stuff...

158 days riding
3163 miles total
2124 mtb
1039 road
10 trainer hours
355.5 hours total

Rode in 2 new states
Competed and finished 4 of the NUE 100 races
Got hit by 1 car(3 weeks + 4 days ago) and put 120 miles on in the past 5 days
Got a couple of local podiums

Really all in all a good year. More in store for 2009. First race is 115 days away. It's on like pong...

How are you feeling since the car incident? Legs ok?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
officially:

1677.88 miles*
100 days on a bike

road miles are probably three or four to one over mtb miles. with three little ones, it is what it is. i'll talk more about all of this in the coming weeks though.

*does not count for the couple hundred miles lost when my garmin blew up and when i forgot to snyc my garmin before sending it back to garmin.

xc62701

How are you feeling since the car incident? Legs ok?

Legs are feeling pretty good actually. The road rash is all healing up and there seems to be no bone/ligament/tendon damage as far as I can tell. The worst part is that my ankle is still sore but it's only sore when I do non-cycling movements which is great. I'll be seeing an orthopedic monday to check it out. As far as the bike I'll be back to the usual routine. Now I just need a replacement road bike. I'm doing all my training now on my fixed gear or my mtb with slicks <---- ballz...

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
in 2008 did two sprint tri's and mtn man biathlon (mtn bike)

did a century through harriman

was C* lieutenent for touring club in 2008

led a ride in every category for the touring club except "A", (B*,B,C*,C,D,F)

road early in the morning, commuted a few times, road at night, week-ends, biked in canada, nj, ny, md

broke 2 helmets

1. hit by limo
  2. fell off bike

THATmanMANNY

Manny's 2008

2008 marked the first year I started cycling for real when I got my geary at the end of April, my SS mid-July, and my SS cross/road mid-Nov. The previous year I experimented with the sport with a road bike and my ancient mtb, riding only once or none a week.

Fortunately I kept a log for 2008 when I got my geary. I don't have a comp for my mtb so I don't have mileage.
Mtb: 54 rides, 101hrs
Road: 18 rides, 344mi, 28hrs (of which 8 commutes, 121mi, 11hr)
-2 Races
-2 trips to Diablo

For 2009 I hope to ride a little more, get faster, race most of the H2H, have as much fun as I am having now and make more friends.
I wish everyone a spectacular riding year in 09'! :D

Top Bottom