2008 XT Cranks, Shifters and Shadown Derail

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I just picked up the 2008 XT cranks, shifters and shadow derailler. Thanks to J at halters for getting me set up. My initial impression and that the cranks are solid and the shifting on the super crisp. It is crazy how far the shadow derailler sits under the cassette also. I will give a review after I ride this weekend. BTW, I swicthed from the little s.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I like!

Last night I rode a 29er Titus Racer X build with a new XT kit. First ride on one on the east coast. On a night ride too..

Apart from a slight weight change this stuff works as well as any XTR bike I have ridden.

The shifters are just right. The inner lever can be pushed or pulled to drop a gear harder in the rear. I did prefer these to the X.O. I still like my Dura Ace shifters on Paul's setup. Old school with the friction front der is hard to beat.

The cranks to feel solid and smooth but I most noticed the weird feeling that the round rings produce as compared to the Rotor q-rings which I do have on ALL my bikes. It was harder to accelerate and rip up hills.Q-rings are not hype.

The brakes are the best that Shimano has had yet. BY FAR! I still prefer the new Magura Louise to these but the XT's are much better than most others out there now. Bonus points for Mineral fluid instead of the toxic DOT oil.

Both the f & R der's have been rebuilt and it really shows. The shifting is flawless. I personally spend very little time on a bike with gears but if I did I think I might use this stuff over SRAM. That for me is a big statement as I have never owned a rapid-fire bike.

I would however run the GORE ride on cable as they have just re-released them. They are the best money you can spend on a bike. period.

I missed the Ergon grips terribly. They just work better for me. I noticed the same thing at interbike. My hands went numb right away and the round grips just feel unnatural.

While I am at it.. I wasn't in love with the Reba. To be fair it was brand new and not broken in. I was rinding in the dark and i couldn't see the bike. I played with the setup a lot at the store before hand but it wasn't 100% for me. I would like to try a pop-loc version and perhaps tune it a bit more. I have Lefty's on all my bikes and they produce a very solid and predicable feel. I am curious about the FOX 29er too.

This might be the best way to test new stuff as you can't even see a thing. You are only going by the "feel".

peas

J-

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Pics

I took a few pics this morning. The whole derail almost completely sits underneth the cassette, no more hitting it on rocks on the right. XT cranks with a salsa bash. The shifter pods are super sleek and Jdog took the indicators off for me which adds tons of options for moving them around. You can also move the pod left or right on the clamp. Finally, I can run my shifter and brake lever where I want!

Take notice to the direct cable routing also. Even though SRAM has direct routing, the cable still makes the bend. This routing goes straight and stays straight. On ly downside I see is if you somehow bent this arm, you would be done.

I rode this around my street last night and the shifting is crisp and the down shiftinh is insanely light.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Rode yersterday and the cranks and shift/derail is awesome. One line, where I normally scrape my derail, it didn't hit thanks to the shadow.

Shifting in both directions i effortless and accurate. I didn't miss one shift and get any ghost shifts in the ruff stuff.

The cranks are solid and shift well.

Not So Fast

Another Photo Please

Can you post another photo of the rear d similiar to your first one except with the d positioned on the smallest cog?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Can you post another photo of the rear d similiar to your first one except with the d positioned on the smallest cog?

This picture is blurry and it was a bad angle, I can take another one if you like..

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 22

Not So Fast

Gore cable

JDog, why do you like the Gore? I run regular steel cables and replace them every year. It works for me. I'm curious as to what the difference might be. Thanks

jdog

Shop Keep
JDog, why do you like the Gore? I run regular steel cables and replace them every year. It works for me. I'm curious as to what the difference might be. Thanks

http://www.rideoncables.com/

Figure zero friction in completely sealed system. This by far is the best money you can spend on a bike.

I don't run gears or i would have them.

They make mechanical disk brakes almost worth while too!

j-

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Those cranks look sweet. For all the abuse they take, I'm always in favor of silver cranks. That swanky anodizing on XTR cranks ends up looking nasty over the long haul.

I see they went back to the "Deore" designation as well on XT as well. This is the "anniversary" group, correct?

jdog

Shop Keep
Those cranks look sweet. For all the abuse they take, I'm always in favor of silver cranks. That swanky anodizing on XTR cranks ends up looking nasty over the long haul.

I see they went back to the "Deore" designation as well on XT as well. This is the "anniversary" group, correct?

Yep.

This is the best XT yet.

Not just a cosmetic re-do.

SRAM has been kicking their ass and they are mad about it. Here is proof that competition is good for the consumer.

The new XT is pretty darn good stuff. XTR is still lighter but perhaps less durable

J-

Top Bottom