2008. how much you spend?

I'm very lucky...

I'm extremely lucky to have the industry hook-ups I do, especially Fisher, they've done a wonderful job supplying all my mountain bike needs. I did however make 2 huge purchases this year, a custom Seven CX frame and a pair of Easton EC90 Aero carbon wheels, which I sold my road and cyclocross bike to buy. So I guess I didn't spend any money last year after all;)

I'll make up for it in '09. So far I bought a Cannondale TJ:D

-Jim.

Kush, how did you drop 30????

8-10 hrs a week riding and proper nutrition. nothing crazy. just smarter habits. i'm not the only one, lot of people on the site shed lots of weight. thread around here somewhere.

Man I need to drop 30 quickly.

stop drinking beer (ok, lets not be cruel, moderate it at least), drink so much water every day you pee every 45 minutes like clock work, eat nothing fried, eat five medium sized meals and keep riding a bike.

there's your answer. continue with the $$.

oh, and ben, i am very familiar with the cash method. :)

I've dropped well over 30 lbs a while back and have gotten plenty faster.

I'll second the meeting new people bit was awesome.

I've probably dropped a lot of $$, swooshed around a lot of bikes..caught the DH and road bug, new XC ride and upgrades to the old rides. But really you can't put a pricetag on living a more enjoyable life :p

Even if I finished the year down thousands of dollars the experiences I've gained are worth well over that.

RIDE ON :getsome:

Ok, here's my non Mob Wars contribution.

I was riding the other day - yes, on the road. Well I stopped to consider what I was wearing.

Lake shoes ($280?)
Woolie Boolie socks ($13)
2 pair of tights ($30 each?)
Bib shorts ($60)
Castelli s/s base ($50)
Kraft l/s ($70)
Random l/s poly layer ($25?)
Winter jacket (free to me, but it must be a $200 jacket)
Gloves ($70)
Glove liners ($20)
Baclava (sp?) ($10?)
Cap ($10?)

An astounding number, for sure. Well over $800 of stuff just to ride in the winter. Yes this sure can be an expensive sport but the cost to not be a) on the trainer in the basement, b) fat, or c) running is well worth the cost. It's an investment no doubt. But now I have the gear to ride just about any day of the year save for the super frigid ones.

Ok, back to my new obsession.

Ok, here's my non Mob Wars contribution.

I was riding the other day - yes, on the road. Well I stopped to consider what I was wearing.

Lake shoes ($280?)
Woolie Boolie socks ($13)
2 pair of tights ($30 each?)
Bib shorts ($60)
Castelli s/s base ($50)
Kraft l/s ($70)
Random l/s poly layer ($25?)
Winter jacket (free to me, but it must be a $200 jacket)
Gloves ($70)
Glove liners ($20)
Baclava (sp?) ($10?)
Cap ($10?)

An astounding number, for sure. Well over $800 of stuff just to ride in the winter. Yes this sure can be an expensive sport but the cost to not be a) on the trainer in the basement, b) fat, or c) running is well worth the cost. It's an investment no doubt. But now I have the gear to ride just about any day of the year save for the super frigid ones.

Ok, back to my new obsession.

A roving receipt. If you were riding a DH/FR bike I would take you out. As is you can ride on Kevin Bacon.

good thread started last May but got serious in jan '08. again i'm not sure 100% but have an idea.
1. bike x2 (road and mtb)
2. riding gear (road and mtb) jerseys, shoes x2, bibs and shorts, socks, etc...
3. misc things, camelbak, tools, lubes, pumps, etc...
4. roof rack
5. oh and upgrades to bikes x2...wheel set, tires, cranks, etc...
6. fixing bike (mtb only)

i think im in the 4k range...would be 1k more if i didn't get great deals on my bikes and rack from my cousin robbie at Kim's in new brunswick. most of my stuff is from LBS but some from online discount sites. this is also why part time at the bar, its my play money. when i say play i pretty much mean bike money. to me it is very important to be comfortable and have good quality shit. it was worth every penny. could be worse...drugs are real expensive. you get it, if this was a gamer site we'd all be talking about how many Xbox games we have, what different game consoles we purchaced over the year, how much we spent on a 3,000inch flat screen tv and domino's pizza deliveries. its all the same enjoyment in the end.

its hard for people to find something they can truly enjoy, never mind something they can do with people who are at first strangers then turn out to be riding partners (even if its just once) and enjoy. the new group of friends, good times, and sometimes quiet time, i got from this sport can not be replaced.

a F*ck Load! in 2008

hardtail - ($1200)-ish
Full Suspension XC - ($4200)
Handlebars for the hardtail - ($70)
Seatpost for the Hardtail - ($40)
Winter Bib - ($200)
Shorts ($60)
Shorts ($60)
Shorts ($60)
Jersey ($30)
Jacket ($180)

Holy Cow!!!

I wish I had it all itemized, but according to Quicken, we spent $7314 on bike 'stuff' and $523 on race fees. That includes my new rode bike. I need to get a job!

I may be down with bike spending this year, and I'm still afraid to look it up on Quicken. The little stuff adds up, and with todays economy, I would rather not know. I also recycled 2 bikes this year, which I'm feeling really good about. I should have updated pictures of my 85 fuji road bike soon. Still waiting on 2 parts.

Even if you count the inside industry deals i have gotten this year.. It is still out of control. Add my new addiction to Cross and it gets straight up silly.

mavic crossmax wheelset - $500 and I never used it
haro mary ss - $550 I think?
1 tube - $7
brake job - $50
not a bicycle but I also bought a dirtbike for $1200

This spring I sold my Sunday Worldcup for $2000 (what I paid for it 2 years ago). I also sold some old wheels and parts I had laying around for the wheelset. I think my end total out of pocket was around $200.

I also started skiing again this year. I got my northface jacket and pants for $75 from a friend in Patterson (didn't ask questions). Few lift tickets here and there ... costs more then riding a dh bike!

Last edited:
Last year not enough spent but making up for it now. Just ordered new Niner and I still need road bike and new mtb for my son.

Back
Top Bottom