2008-09 XTR Cranks w/BB

mtnbiker5

Been beating on the new XTR cranks w/BB for about 3 months now. Nothing lose, creaking. This could be the strongest, lightest, by far the best crankset I have ever owned. I paid for it but you get what you pay for. I would strongly recommend this product.

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
2008 XTR Cranks

Been beating on the new XTR cranks w/BB for about 3 months now. Nothing lose, creaking. This could be the strongest, lightest, by far the best crankset I have ever owned. I paid for it but you get what you pay for. I would strongly recommend this product.

These cranks are indeed the holy grail of bike parts. I have been rockin'em for six months and they are the real deal, but what would you expect from those clever guys at Shimano?? The only criticism I could possibly add is that the removal of these cranks is more involved than past generations. Go buy them now, now, now, the new tv can definately wait.

ArmyOfNone

They seem a bit complicated however. Are all those little adjustments that can me made worth it?

bozizle

Sweet

I picked up a set months ago and made it into a SS setup and they have performed flawless. They are light and very strong and nothing like using a carbon middle ring for some bling. :p

Nimrod

And they hold value. Just sold my 1999 XTR cranks last week on Ebay. Those crank had a million miles on them, dented, scratched, etc. but the threads where fine.

Got $81 for them:D

beachwoodbikes

Shop Keep
New XTR

They seem a bit complicated however. Are all those little adjustments that can me made worth it?

The extra adjustment is actually pretty cool. Basically by adding an independent bearing preload adjustment to the non-drive bearing, Shimano made it possible to achieve perfect bearing preload on a bike frame that has less then perfect manufacturing quality control or poor tolerance on bb shell spacing. Some of the mail-order brands are notorious for this. This fluctuation in tolerance is now able to be accounted for with this design, giving you that silky smoothness you expect from XTR.

ArmyOfNone

The extra adjustment is actually pretty cool. Basically by adding an independent bearing preload adjustment to the non-drive bearing, Shimano made it possible to achieve perfect bearing preload on a bike frame that has less then perfect manufacturing quality control or poor tolerance on bb shell spacing. Some of the mail-order brands are notorious for this. This fluctuation in tolerance is now able to be accounted for with this design, giving you that silky smoothness you expect from XTR.

Can I please have this in non-wrench terms? :D

ArmyOfNone

Bike frames are not always perfect. The adjustments allow you to correct the problem.

You no longer need a mallet to make a circle fit in an square hole. :rofl:

FINALLY! Now i know. Other than a whole lotta whoopla that makes more sense. Thank you Ben.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
But are they worth 3 times the price of XTs'?The price difference,almost 3 times as much across most of the line,between xt and xtr components seems to have exceeded the the increase in performance.Is an xtr shadow rd at $250 really that much better than the xt at $109?When the xtr 980(?)or 990(?)line comes out how many people are going to be buying a $400 rd or a $1,000 set of cranks?I sure hope thule comes out with a rack that fits my ferrari to go with my new full xtr bike.

beachwoodbikes

Shop Keep
2008 XTR Cranks

But are they worth 3 times the price of XTs'?The price difference,almost 3 times as much across most of the line,between xt and xtr components seems to have exceeded the the increase in performance.Is an xtr shadow rd at $250 really that much better than the xt at $109?When the xtr 980(?)or 990(?)line comes out how many people are going to be buying a $400 rd or a $1,000 set of cranks?I sure hope thule comes out with a rack that fits my ferrari to go with my new full xtr bike.

$569.99 in stock and includes installation at Beachwood Bikes. XT's are $269.99 and also in stock.:hmmm:

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
$569.99 in stock and includes installation at Beachwood Bikes. XT's are $269.99 and also in stock.:hmmm:

I work in a shop.Why would I pay retail:)And 17yrs wrenching on and off I think I"m qualified to install them too:D.But you seem to have missed my point - are they worth the more than double and in some cases almost triple the cost in performance?The difference in cost between the two lines has really grown.As for prices,I was mearly quoting msrp.Weather the purchaser pays msrp,store discounted retail or our store employee wholesale cost is irrelevant,there is still a substantial increase in cost from one line to the other,is that extra$ really justified in a parts' "increased" performance?That's the issue.

Top Bottom