2007 specialized stumpy hub upgrade

V

vtalum2001

I am interested in looking into upgrade options for my 2007 stumpy in order to avoid the slow engagement issue on the bike. Various sources have directed me to look into well reviewed rear hubs to replace as a cheaper and more effective option to lessen the effect of the slow engagement issue. Is that the only part i should replace? Anyone know of a good one and/or have any positive experiences with their rear hubs that you could recommend? My current rear hub is Shimano M525 disc, the original hub.

Thanks in advance for any input!

VanDbtRiver

i think shimano xt hubs are good. i ride dt 240's, which will carry me for the next 3 years, no need to upgrade from there. the engagement is more than adequate.

ArmyOfNone

I am running Hope Pro 2's on my new hoops. They are light smooth and sound great! Also they have 4 pawl engagement and a 35 tooth ratchet ring

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Add one more to the Hope Pro2 side. You just can't beat it, it's a near perfect blend of low price, super-strength, and low-weight. It more awesome than the noise, is the color options!!

-Jim.

ArmyOfNone

You never hear anything but bad press about the noise, and yet at least two friends that I've ridden with have swore the Hopes are the next hub they're buying. Though you'll never sneak up on anyone!

Just keep pedaling and blow right by them! They will never hear ya then!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Trailhead, the engagement Vtalum is talking about can be felt in rock gardens and such where you briefly stop pedaling and then start again, it takes about a quarter pedal stroke before it "catches." Or if you have to back pedal to avoid a rock and then go to pedal again. It is called engament and it mainly has to do with the quality of her rear hub. I was suggesting to VT to go to John from Cycle Works (where we frequent) and see what he would suggest and could install.

I recently upgraded my stock wheels (Trance 3) to Easton Havocs and the engagement makes a pretty big improvement. It could also be one of those things that doesn't annoy you until you know about it. So now you know.

V

vtalum2001

thanks idbrian for the blurb - that's exactly what i meant by the engagement issue i have with my bike. Now looking at my rear hub options i am wondering if anyone has any experience with the new shiman XTR FH and HB hubs. From my understanding, those rear hubs are new for 2007 however i could not find any reviews on mtbr. Anyone know anything about these two types and their differences, if any? I'll have to look into the hope 2's more carefully......

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
got it, thanks for explaining. my comp has DT swiss rear hub. I ride tech often and have not noticed this hub being any worse than the rest.

Top Bottom