2 Questions ....

Stocky

1. Do you guys ride in the winter ? Is it basically until the first snowfall and then the bike is put away until the spring thaw ?

2. I see some bikes with a front fork that has what appears to be 3 tubes instead of just a single one in the center.
What's the reason for this , does it allow for more travel of the shock. I notice it more on the race bikes and I think on alot of the freestyle bikes were the guys are doing big drops.

walter

Fourth Party
1. Do you guys ride in the winter ? Is it basically until the first snowfall and then the bike is put away until the spring thaw ?

2. I see some bikes with a front fork that has what appears to be 3 tubes instead of just a single one in the center.
What's the reason for this , does it allow for more travel of the shock. I notice it more on the race bikes and I think on alot of the freestyle bikes were the guys are doing big drops.

Ride all year round. Some of the best riding is when the ground is frozen solid. At Allaire, in the middle of winter, the lot is just as crowded as it is in the summer. The winter clothing is incredible, actually I probably have a larger selection of cold weather gear than summer stuff.

These are called triple crown forks, and like you said, are usually found on longer travel, downhill/freeride bikes

Stocky

Ride all year round. Some of the best riding is when the ground is frozen solid. At Allaire, in the middle of winter, the lot is just as crowded as it is in the summer. The winter clothing is incredible, actually I probably have a larger selection of cold weather gear than summer stuff.

These are called triple crown forks, and like you said, are usually found on longer travel, downhill/freeride bikes

Walter, having ridden alomost only at Mahlon,I'm guessing it's a bit tough to handle when it's snow covered or frozen solid. Allaire is south Jersey, more flat terrain etc.. and less snow for that matter.

Do you guys run a special type of tire for the winter riding ?

walter

Fourth Party
Snow/ice add a whole new level of fun to the trails. Some guys here use tires with spikes in them. These can be bought or some even make a homemade version. I have no exp. with them but they are out there.

Wobbegong

I always hope for extended days below freezing in the winter. Trails around my area tend to get muddy during the winter and are only good for riding when solid frozen.

Winter riding is fun, especially with lights.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
all year

winter riding keeps you in shape for summer...the summer riding ive noticed drains me out a bit...ive been on CR in 15 degree weather...im sure lots of people have been out in much less...like the cold it doesn't feel like a jungle and you can actually breath in the woods...snow is fun too...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Walter, having ridden alomost only at Mahlon,I'm guessing it's a bit tough to handle when it's snow covered or frozen solid. Allaire is south Jersey, more flat terrain etc.. and less snow for that matter.

Do you guys run a special type of tire for the winter riding ?

Actually, some parts of MD are easier with some snow on the ground as the snow smooths some of the trails out nicely.

Some guys run studded tires in the winter. I don't, but I'll admit, when the snow had an icy layer on top, I didn't ride. 'Probably could've if I had studded tires.

I did start using Panaracer Trailrakers. Only reason I did this was because the Fire XC pros would pack up with snow and not clear themselves very well.

But, tires aren't important. Winter shoes are what is important ;)

Stocky

I'm very interested in tire options and the shoes you guys are talking about. We've been riding for 3 months and have been bummed with the thought of not riding in the winter.

Do the trails in Mahlon get as much snow cover as say the Mahlon parking lot. Does the tree cover help at all. I just can't imagine going up some of those hills or even the downhills in the snow and not fearing for my life.

Are you guys talking about bike shop purchased tires or home made tires. The ones with the spikes that is.

Frank

Sasquatch
I'm very interested in tire options and the shoes you guys are talking about.

Lake Winter Shoes......otherwise you freeze. Period. I have tried booties, toe warmers, wool socks , layers, and hell I even tried insulated work boots and flat pedals, all with the same result. Save yourself a bunch of time and look into them.

I use the same tires year round but we don't get much snow down here. Occasionally we get some ice and low tire psi is what saves the day.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm very interested in tire options and the shoes you guys are talking about. We've been riding for 3 months and have been bummed with the thought of not riding in the winter.

Do the trails in Mahlon get as much snow cover as say the Mahlon parking lot. Does the tree cover help at all. I just can't imagine going up some of those hills or even the downhills in the snow and not fearing for my life.

Are you guys talking about bike shop purchased tires or home made tires. The ones with the spikes that is.

I use my regular shoes in winter w/toe warmers and wool socks. Works as long as you don't get your feet wet (if you do get 'em wet, head back to the car...really). Lake winter shoes are the sh!t from what I hear.

Trees don't do much. You will find variable amounts of snow all over MD, though. The elevation and direction the terrain is facing I reckon have a lot to do with that.

Winter at MD...you will be going slower, generally. And you might find yourself walking a bit more than you do now...especially on climbs.

I can only recall one ride where it was absurd. The snow had a crusty layer on top "just" strong enough to ride on top on, but broke through every 3 or 4 pumps. 'Got damn annoying...

You can buy studs/spikes or do it yourself. Here a couple examples...pre-studded ain't cheap: http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?...69_269&zenid=635185ede88ec440c0d25f9a0e5a1889

Like I said, I don't have studded tires. As long as your tires can shed the snow and not pack up, you'll be fine except when it is icy.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
We should have a thread dedicated to winter shoes and other associated topics, don't you think?

I totally agree!! I miss that thread.

ALL YEAR LONG BABY!!!

Mucho importante....SHOES & GLOVES, those are the key freezing points...at least for me ;) Invest in good gear, it is expensive but you won't regret it.
I ride the same tires all year...I am too lazy & cheap to change them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Off road, I have whatever shoe everyone got 2 years ago and they're fine, especially if I use toe warmers, for 2 hours at least, down to about 10* or so. On road, different story. They're good for about 45 minutes, they do an ok job for the next 30 minutes, then my feet are really cold for 15 minutes, then I can't feel much of anything for the last half hour.

If you're really concerned get platforms and wear boots.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I do the majority of my mileage for the year during the winter, I like being out in the cold. Over the years I've played with lots of things to keep my feet/hands/face/etc. warm even in the worst the season has to offer. Something that works well for me is wearing 2 pairs of socks with sandwich bags in between them. Keeps your feet dry and the wind out. It doesn't breath well so only do it under about 40 degrees or so. Sometimes if it's super windy or below freezing I'll add Pearl Izumi booties to the mix. But not usually. I do a similar thing for my hands because I hate wearing big poofy gloves. Get a cold weather glove, like a Pearl Izumi Gavia, and wear a pair of surgical/mechanic gloves under them. Again water and wind proof. You will however need a really good base/jersey/jacket combo to keep your core pumping warm blood into your tips or the whole deal is off.

-Jim.

PS-You 2 thoughts on tire choice, fat and low psi to ride on the snow or skinny and high psi to cut through it. I prefer the latter.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bags don't work for people who sweat a ton, like me. That burned me pretty bad this past winter.

Given that it's something like 63 degrees outside right now and darker earlier every night, this conversation isn't actually that premature. But this is an absolutely beautiful time of year. Same with dead of winter. I've been out in the middle of Allamuchy at 8:00 am in winter and it's almost like you're in another universe. Good stuff, until you break a hanger then fall off a bridge.

Stocky

Damn those shoes are expensive. I'm gonna have to give up another hobby to afford this new one.

When I used to photograph snowboarding and I spent hours on the side of the half pipe. I found a pretty good combination of a thin liner and a quality outdoor sock and stayed warm and comfy for hours. This was of course while wearing a Thinsulate Merrill hiking boot, but I'll just have to experiment.

Between, snow tires, clothing and snow shoes you can drop well over 5 bills in a blink of an eye.

hmmm, I must have some things around the house I can sell on Craigslist to soften the blow.

Top Bottom