2 Questions ....

Stocky

Is Stocky a Peruvian Dishwasher?

There are other threads explaining why a 29er FS *may* be overkill. It's pretty personal, of course.

I am not.
Not that there's anything wrong with being a Peruvian Dishwasher.

the key word here being " may " be overkill.

BIGGER is always BETTER in my book .

and as I learned on this site early on..... flames make you go faster.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Shoes and gloves first. I think a FS 29 is overkill. A big thing in winter is havin your bike mechanically spot on. Even a simple flat can require startin a fire in certain temps and situations, so breakdowns are somthing you want to avoid at all costs.

Mr. Brett is right. In fact, during the winter I wear my Camelback MULE sans water bladder...even on short rides. I fill the pack with stuff that you'd typically reserve for longer rides. I carry a whistle, first aid kit, a couple of snacks, a second tube, one of those silver emergency blankets, a little flash light, a way to make a fire, a couple of extra tools, a dry pair of socks, etc. I even carry a few valve cores and my shock pump.

'May seem like overkill for a 1-2 hr ride at MD. One reason I carry all this sh!t is I don't want to find myself wasting time walking my bike. It is cold and in the winter weather can creep up on ya' etc. It is miserable enough walking your bike out of MD in the middle of summer (I know this), let alone when it is 70-80 degrees colder.

The other reason, is if one were to crash pretty hard it could take a little bit of time for somebody to get to you. That blanket, snack, etc. would come in mighty handy...even if you're only out there for 20 minutes. And of course, since I ride alone *most* of the time, being prepared is even more important.

Stocky

Mr. Brett is right. In fact, during the winter I wear my Camelback MULE sans water bladder...even on short rides. I fill the pack with stuff that you'd typically reserve for longer rides. I carry a whistle, first aid kit, a couple of snacks, a second tube, one of those silver emergency blankets, a little flash light, a way to make a fire, a couple of extra tools, a dry pair of socks, etc. I even carry a few valve cores and my shock pump.

'May seem like overkill for a 1-2 hr ride at MD. One reason I carry all this sh!t is I don't want to find myself wasting time walking my bike. It is cold and in the winter weather can creep up on ya' etc. It is miserable enough walking your bike out of MD in the middle of summer (I know this), let alone when it is 70-80 degrees colder.

The other reason, is if one were to crash pretty hard it could take a little bit of time for somebody to get to you. That blanket, snack, etc. would come in mighty handy...even if you're only out there for 20 minutes. And of course, since I ride alone *most* of the time, being prepared is even more important.

That's alot of stuff but clearly you can't be messing around when your riding in that kind of weather and with such low tempertures.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
If most guys are riding 26FS , why not 29FS ?
Is it not the best of both worlds.

Like Norm said, it is mostly preference. However, what one *thinks* they prefer may not be what they really prefer.

But to answer your question, the 29" wheels (especially with some high-volume rubber) dampen the bumps better than their equivalent 26" cousins. So it is conceivable that a 29" HT might ride well enough for somebody through the rough stuff, where a 26'er HT might be a little rough. So, it is possible (I'm proof) that somebody on a 26" FS might find a 29" HT just fine. If a 29" HT were to work for you, you'd save money and have less to maintain and deal with. The weight thing isn't such a big deal; my Niner SS (27 lbs) only weighs 2-3 pounds less than a geared and comparably equipped Turner Sultan (29 'n change...*maybe* 30lbs).

I started riding again last fall after well over a decade off the bike. My progression looked like:

- 26" HT; Specialized M2. Pummeled the CRAP out of me at MD.
- 26" FS; Turner 5-spot. I have a bad back and knew my body couldn't take much of that. I really hadn't gotten a bead on the 29'er thing, so I focused on a FS 26'er. Great bike, but in the end, didn't fit my riding style/preferences/whatever...
- 29" HT; Aluminum. Loved the 29" wheels, but in the end the aluminum was a little to rough for me.
- 29" HT; Steel. Ahhhh, just right. My knees are garbage, my back is garbage, I'm 43 years old, and I don't miss the FS 26'er back end.

My point here is try, try, try, try, try to get some time on various bikes and see what works for you. Bug friends; take advantage of demos at shops; go for rides with crazies from here and ask to try their bikes (hey, the worst they could say is "F' off") ;)

I assumed a 26 FS was it and in the end, it cost me a lot of money to get to where I got (if you look at my bikes you'll see I don't do things half-ass either). If I'd ridden a Mary, SIR, whatever before I bought my Turner, I'd probably have two fewer bikes in my basement. In the end, if a 29 FS seems like the configuration for you, writing the (bigger) check for it will be easier.

What size bike do you ride? If you ride a large, after the "new" is gone from my SIR9 this fall (my head would explode seeing somebody else on my shiny new Niner right now), you're welcome to ride it. You can at least check 29" Steel HT from the list. When I get my Rig together, and if you ride a large, you can ride it too so you can check a 29" Aluminum HT from the list. Warning; they are single speeds...though by then I should be able to make my SIR9 a 1x9 when the mood strikes me:D

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
That's alot of stuff but clearly you can't be messing around when your riding in that kind of weather and with such low tempertures.

The nice thing about the MULE is that in the winter, once I have it on and I'm riding, I forget it is there...

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I enjoy the banter.
So continue if ya like

If most guys are riding 26FS , why not 29FS ?
Is it not the best of both worlds.

You're right, most guys i ride PAST are on FS! Those who make me suffer are 99% on HT. If you want to pop around on 8-15 mi loops forever ride whatever if you're goal is to go beyond that scope then minimalist, durable and light are what you're lookin for.

Stocky

You're right, most guys i ride PAST are on FS! Those who make me suffer are 99% on HT. If you want to pop around on 8-15 mi loops forever ride whatever if you're goal is to go beyond that scope then minimalist, durable and light are what you're lookin for.

It sounds like the real issue is not so much that someone might not need the FS, but that the FS adds what alot of "hardcore" guys deem unnecessary added weight.

Top Bottom