2 Questions ....

TommyCrash

Back to topic or it could take a turn for the worse very quickly. I layer (no not his wife..couldn't resist) a t-shirt, a turtle neck, sometimes a light sweater and a winter recreational jacket on top. A pair of thermal underwear and baggy jeans (yes jeans, this is not a fashion show in the winter, I'm riding and two pair of thermal socks in my Sidi's. A good pair of ski gloves and you're good to go all winter. Just my two cents. If you go out in various degrees of cold in the winter, You'll figure out what you need for the next ride. Trail and error. Most of the time you'll put too much stuff on and sweat. If you're a little chilly before you start, you should be good when you reach operating temperature.

Stocky

How could I sell my wife, she's the only one out of the 4 of us who ride together that doesn't bitch about what time I need to be back from riding on Sunday mornings.

Stocky

Back to topic or it could take a turn for the worse very quickly. I layer (no not his wife..couldn't resist) a t-shirt, a turtle neck, sometimes a light sweater and a winter recreational jacket on top. A pair of thermal underwear and baggy jeans (yes jeans, this is not a fashion show in the winter, I'm riding and two pair of thermal socks in my Sidi's. A good pair of ski gloves and you're good to go all winter. Just my two cents. If you go out in various degrees of cold in the winter, You'll figure out what you need for the next ride. Trail and error. Most of the time you'll put too much stuff on and sweat. If you're a little chilly before you start, you should be good when you reach operating temperature.

I've always been a fan of two pairs of long underwear, one thin pair with a heavier pair over that, followed by a wind breaker type of top layer. The pants are waterproof and I've always found it keeps me warm. Sometimes to warm.

walter

Fourth Party
Whatever you do, just buy the Lake boots, you wont be upset. Get some good gloves too. If you have to layer shit like bags and bags and more bags, it just means you are wearing poor quality stuff.

If this is a hobby you are true to, spend the extra bucks for some good winter clothes and enjoy the weather

Stocky

Whatever you do, just buy the Lake boots, you wont be upset. Get some good gloves too. If you have to layer shit like bags and bags and more bags, it just means you are wearing poor quality stuff.

If this is a hobby you are true to, spend the extra bucks for some good winter clothes and enjoy the weather

I never go half assed into a hobby that I'm 100% commited to. First things first , I need to ditch my Trek 4300 and get a FS 29'er. Shoes to follow.

Rode Cascade and Stone gate this morning, another great ride and home by 9am.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I never go half assed into a hobby that I'm 100% commited to. First things first , I need to ditch my Trek 4300 and get a FS 29'er. Shoes to follow.

Rode Cascade and Stone gate this morning, another great ride and home by 9am.

Cool. Did you try Cascade the other way today?

Ya' sure you need a FS 29'er? Try to get your hands on a steel 29er hardtail demo (Haro Mary XC, Niner SIR9/MCR9, etc.), with maybe a front susp. fork verses a rigid.

I ride at MD 90+% of the time and found that I really didn't need a FS there w/29" wheels...as long as the frame was steel. I also found that I don't need gears most of the time too, but that is another topic of it's own. You can see the transformation from FS to HT 29er here.

I don't do any bomber descents on rough stuff and don't do drops, though.

Tim

Stocky

Cool. Did you try Cascade the other way today?

Ya' sure you need a FS 29'er? Try to get your hands on a steel 29er hardtail demo (Haro Mary XC, Niner SIR9/MCR9, etc.), with maybe a front susp. fork verses a rigid.

I ride at MD 90+% of the time and found that I really didn't need a FS there w/29" wheels...as long as the frame was steel. I also found that I don't need gears most of the time too, but that is another topic of it's own. You can see the transformation from FS to HT 29er here.

I don't do any bomber descents on rough stuff and don't do drops, though.

Tim

Tim,
I honestly have no idea if I really need a 29FS , but I really like that my buddy just rolls over the rocks with his Fuel FS and truthfully I'd like to buy one bike and not ever buy another one.
I really hate that I can't try it out before I buy it though.

I actually had the best ride so far today, I rode over both of those huge rocks that are on cascade as well as all of the log obstacles.
I really had my mojo going as we really picked up the pace as we headed up to the Stone Gate " landing"

We sorta got lost and did cascade the same way we did it Thursday, I still rode it better today than Thursday, so I'm pleased.

ps- I definately need the gears .:)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Shoes and gloves first. I think a FS 29 is overkill. A big thing in winter is havin your bike mechanically spot on. Even a simple flat can require startin a fire in certain temps and situations, so breakdowns are somthing you want to avoid at all costs. MD is no prob w/ snow and is usually faster in winter. The Goatriders Horde Ver. 2.0 will be waiting for you when the snow flies.............

Stocky

Shoes and gloves first. I think a FS 29 is overkill. A big thing in winter is havin your bike mechanically spot on. Even a simple flat can require startin a fire in certain temps and situations, so breakdowns are somthing you want to avoid at all costs. MD is no prob w/ snow and is usually faster in winter. The Goatriders Horde Ver. 2.0 will be waiting for you when the snow flies.............

What's more of the overkill the 29'er or the FS.
I see tons of guys at Mahlon on FS bikes, I actually think I saw a FS 69'er this morning. A FS 29'er seems like a great combo.
I'm not great with the hill climbs, but week by week I'm getting better, I think it's my cardio that actually kills me.

I didn't realize that OVERKILL was even in the MAN DICTIONARY .

hardtale70

Shop Keep
FS is unnessecary. 29 is mandatory.........I had a 4300 for years(with an xt build) and it kicked ass just fine, so don't worry so much about bikes.Switching to 29 just makes everything easier, so you can go faster,farther w/ less fatigue IME.....................

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, but I don't know what to do with it. It's a perfectly functioning bike. I'm considering attaching a trailer to it and dragging my daughter around on it. Would that be sacrilege?

hardtale70

Shop Keep
That bikes seen more glory than you'll ever know. Its only desire is to roll on in whatever capacity you see fit...........

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's too good to ride it to the train station and lock it up there. Someone would steal it. But I'll never ride it on the trails again. I'd love to sell it to someone. It's probably a perfect bike for someone down south.

hardtale70

Shop Keep
The only people who ride 26 anymore are the ones who steal them. The bike knows this and won't take it personally if it ends up w/ a Peruvian dishwasher or somethin'. Lets give poor stocky his thread back eh?

Stocky

The only people who ride 26 anymore are the ones who steal them. The bike knows this and won't take it personally if it ends up w/ a Peruvian dishwasher or somethin'. Lets give poor stocky his thread back eh?

I enjoy the banter.
So continue if ya like

If most guys are riding 26FS , why not 29FS ?
Is it not the best of both worlds.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is Stocky a Peruvian Dishwasher?

There are other threads explaining why a 29er FS *may* be overkill. It's pretty personal, of course.

Top Bottom